Green Tractor Talk banner

Rock Auger

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Herminator 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with a rock auger on a tractor, perhaps a 2038R?

I've seen these on a skid steer, but not a compact tractor, so was wondering if these is even feasible or if I would tear something up even trying.

#3 ·
Basically it’s a diffrent auger that goes on post hole auger. The ones I have seen say cat 2 or 3 hitches. You would have to grind for a while. Also you need to hang weight on a hitch and they even put weight on skid steer buckets to do this. You need the constant down pressure on the cutting head. Also the hydraulic front mount auger is probably better looks like it would be pretty hard on a direct connection and you don’t have the ability to feather in and out on force like you do with hydraulic.

Rock Augers Archives - Harleman Manufacturing

Video, watch the skid steer lift even with all the weight already applying down force.

https://youtu.be/lPUbT7Fc04o

Reactions: mjncad
#7 ·
Impressive

That's pretty damn impressive- down 4' or more in 5 minutes in solid rock! I want one. Don't know why as I don't have an rock like that but what the heck, maybe some will grow.

Treefarmer

#4 ·
I have a post hole digger on my bobcat I bought used. It came with a rockauger like this but LOWE brand out of Wisconsin. I can see were it would be better for digging dirt with a three point because it won’t suck itself in as fast as the standard augers. I have never used it in hard material. I could also see where it would be a problem on a three point in hard material because they spin so fast.

#5 ·
#6 ·
That Belltech looks like it would work quite well and would definitely be the way to go, if you could afford it.

I have a PHD so I was hoping to find a way to use it, perhaps with a different auger blade with carbide teeth, but I wasn't sure if a normal PHD could take the abuse of drilling through nearly solid rock. My other concern was with the down pressure. I hadn't considered rear PTO speed, but that's yet another concern.

#8 ·
There's no way I'd use a 3PH PTO powered mechanical drive on something like that. Although you can control the speed via the throttle, you can't reverse the auger if it snags a large root, hard-pan, or a rock just right where the auger pulls itself in, with no easy way to retrieve it. Don't ask me how I know. :banghead:

That being said; I'll bet if some vibration could be added to the auger in a similar manner to a rotary hammer, it would go through fairly quickly depending on the type.

In any case; one better have a lot of holes to drill to justify those toys instead of renting equipment, or hiring young, dumb, and strong people to do the work. Cleaning out the spoils that fall back in the hole is a pain in the butt. Don't ask me how I know.

#9 ·
There's no way I'd use a 3PH PTO powered mechanical drive on something like that. Although you can control the speed via the throttle, you can't reverse the auger if it snags a large root, hard-pan, or a rock just right where the auger pulls itself in, with no easy way to retrieve it. Don't ask me how I know.

That being said; I'll bet if some vibration could be added to the auger in a similar manner to a rotary hammer, it would go through fairly quickly depending on the type.

In any case; one better have a lot of holes to drill to justify those toys instead of renting equipment, or hiring young, dumb, and strong people to do the work. Cleaning out the spoils that fall back in the hole is a pain in the butt. Don't ask me how I know.
I think you're spot on with hiring it done. I just thought there might be a chance of modifying an existing PHD to make it work.

Speaking of rotary hammer, I was also interested in something like that just to break up large surface rocks for easier removal.

Any one have any experience with such an implement for a tractor? Again, they're common on skid steers, but I haven't seen one for a tractor (I'm new to this by the way.)

#13 ·
View attachment 641142

I don't think you would want to run something like this on a tractor. This is my outfit with a just a 2 inch rock bit for steel posts on at the moment. Needless to say I have serious rocks to deal with.
And some serious weight on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.