Green Tractor Talk banner

Rock catcher

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  69project 
#1 ·
Today I finally put some grid wire on my grapple, idea is to catch the smaller rocks that I have in a pile after using box blade. If it works I think I'll replace it with heavier wire and tack weld it in. Any thoughts or has anyone else done this

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Go to your local sand and gravel pit and see if they have any used shaker screens you can have. They are typically 4 foot by 4foot. They may have multiple sizes like to choose from that are heavy duty you could cut with angle grinder or a torch and then you could weld in place if you choose to have it permanent. It would hold up better than the smaller gauge wire you are using. Just my 2 cents.

#3 ·
My 2 cents is that you may find that to be TOO fine. If you hqd a way to add "panels" in incremements, it might be more efficient. Unless your soil.is already loose and pulverized you may pick up more than you want with that rig. On the other hand, if you can pulverize it by backblading and you dont have a lot of sod or chunks of soil left itll be a great idea. Please keep us posted.

#5 ·
my grapple has 1/2 dia holes in the bars of the lower jaw.
I put 1/2 steel bars in the holes and used a collar to hold them in place.
The spacing between the holes was about 4-6" I'd guess.
I used it for exactly what your looking at doing.

Worked pretty good, after awhile a couple of the bars ended getting bent.
I have since pulled the 1/2 bars as I don't see much use for moving rocks in the future.

Looks like there are small holes in your lower jaw.
Maybe you could open them up and use steel rod in it?

#9 · (Edited)
I would weld up a Hog Fence Panel 1/4" thick rods into a frame and bolt it into the lower jaw to catch rocks but not weld it in place. You could weld on a few real thick tabs 3/4-1" and drill and tap them for Grade #8 - 3/8" bolts. That way they will hold up better when the rock catcher is off. Leave bolts in the threaded holes to protect them better when the rock catcher is off.

#11 ·
update, I've moved a lot of rocks with this setup now. will keep most from falling out and has held up real well. Green Architecture Vehicle Plant Glass

Reactions: JD4044M
#13 ·
John Deere Compact Tractor Rock Bucket 54 | Redline Systems Inc - Equipment Attachments - Custom Fabrication - Hutchinson, MN

I use a rock bucket. Granted it's way more expensive than the solutions used in this thread but it seems to work alright. The tine spacing is critical with whatever method you use. This rock bucket has 3 inch spacing. I think when I was searching for a rock bucket most of them were 3 inches. I may have found one that was 2 inches but the bucket was too heavy for the loader I had at the time. Neither this bucket, nor the cattle panels folks are using are going to be super efficient at getting all of the rocks, just the bigger ones. My yard, I am trying to establish is nothing but rock and clay so while my rock bucket gets the big ones it still leaves a lot of the little ones in the ground. I am thinking that is terrible if you are trying to plant grass.

If you have a lot of rocks on your property, then maybe a rock hound or a Harley rake might be in order. I am looking at renting one of those next to see if it does what I need too.

Reactions: texhusker
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.