Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not a tractor guy! When I move the rock shaft lever to lower my MMM, the 3 pt on the rear moves first, then the mower. Same with raising, the 3 pt first , then the mower. So if I lower the mower to cut grass, and pull the lever up, the hitch should come up, but is their a easier way to just lower the mower itself? I don't want to drag my hitch is what I'm getting at. I have read my manual, but it's really vague on some things, like tire pressure, and controls. It is good for maintenance though. Thanks for any help, I told you this was a dumb question!

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not a tractor guy! When I move the rock shaft lever to lower my MMM, the 3 pt on the rear moves first, then the mower. Same with raising, the 3 pt first , then the mower. So if I lower the mower to cut grass, and pull the lever up, the hitch should come up, but is their a easier way to just lower the mower itself? I don't want to drag my hitch is what I'm getting at. I have read my manual, but it's really vague on some things, like tire pressure, and controls. It is good for maintenance though. Thanks for any help, I told you this was a dumb question!
Welcome.... and there are no dumb questions on these forums. :)

It sounds like you have the standard mechanical MMM lift. It uses arms that are attached to bell cranks that ride against the 3PH lower arms. In other words, it uses the 3PH to lift the MMM. So when you raise the rock shaft lever the 3PH has to first take up a wee bit of slop in the linkage and then the MMM will raise. Same when lowering.

With the mechanical lift your 3PH will always be in the lowered position when the MMM is down. I have a neighbor with a 1-series with mechanical lift and when he is mowing the tips of his 3PH arms are almost touching the ground.

The only way around this is to install one of the hydraulic independent lift kits.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unless I am missing something or just plain don't understand:cookoo::cookoo:. Unless you are mowing at or near the lowest setting of the mower do you not only have to lower the tph lever until the mmm stops lowering? Thp my way of saying 3ph.��

·
Premium Member
13,307 Posts
Unless I am missing something or just plain don't understand:cookoo::cookoo:. Unless you are mowing at or near the lowest setting of the mower do you not only have to lower the tph lever until the mmm stops lowering? Thp my way of saying 3ph.��
Correct, lower the mower until it stops at desired mowing height and set your position control stop right there, that will stop your 3 point arms well before they are all the way down.

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is what I do as well. I normally set the position control to remind myself not to lower the lever all of the way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Then I always forget to move the position control stop back down to 0 when I remove the MMM and wonder why it's not on the ground. :banghead:

Kevin.

·
Premium Member
8,793 Posts
Correct, lower the mower until it stops at desired mowing height and set your position control stop right there, that will stop your 3 point arms well before they are all the way down.
This is what I do as well. I normally set the position control to remind myself not to lower the lever all of the way.
Then I always forget to move the position control stop back down to 0 when I remove the MMM and wonder why it's not on the ground. :banghead:

Kevin.
Check out the very nice Stainless Steel depth control stop lever bezel or "top plate" to keep the plastic depth control from separating with use. There is a thread somewhere here on GTT about these and several GTT members have made them with slightly different approaches, shapes and materials. My friend KyleW, who I have never met but he is one of my GTT friends and a great guy, made this one and sent it to me in the mail. I sent him some $$ in return to say thank you and also cover his postage costs and a little of his time. I really like this depth control top plate......

If you would like one, send him a PM and see what the cost would be to have one sent to you. Very easy to install and the benefit is the metal top plate or bezel holds the plastic together and provides a secure way to lock the depth control. The shape of the top plate squeezes the plastic lips together and secures everything. Its a nice upgrade, plus it improves the appearance of the depth control lever as well as its function. Plus it prevents the plastic slit from spreading over time, which it will with the continued use.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts