Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are just some of the rocks... I'm clearing the brush in the yard. We have a plethora of rocks to deal with. The Ratchet Rake and Box Blade dig them up, but neither are good at collecting them. I'm trying to make something that can be mowed by getting rid of the rocks. Other than hiring day labor to pick up rocks on my behalf, is a landscape rake something that can, at least, help me collect them for pickup with the front end loader? The rocks are all sizes up to basket ball size (those are kind of rare).

I don't mind buying the piece of gear if it'll work. Is the landscape rake what I'm looking for, or is there something else that would help me out?

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
I think a landscape rake is perfect for that application. That is what is was designed for.:good2:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I am having a hard time figuring out the size of the rocks. Landscape rakes work great for that as Jason mentioned but the small ones will fall through.

Does a good job prepping for seed too.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, my dealer can get me a Frontier one for ~$700 - Need to order.
TSC has one for $429, bit none in any reasonable driving distance - Need to order.
There is a guy that deals in JBar products that has one for $350 and has one in stock.
The Craigslist guy that I was going to see tomorrow has already flaked out.

I'm on vacation this week and could use it right away. Will I be disappointed with the jbar version? I'm certainly not going to get it from my dealer, I've nick named him "List Price". I could wait for a TSC one. I'm just trying to stay ahead of the brush and poison ivy.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a 6' King Kutter landscape rake. It works pretty well and is built well. A 6' is around $400 - $500. I'm not sure whether a landscape rake will do what you need or not. The tines are spaced maybe 3 - 4 inches apart or so from each other. You'd need to be moving decent size rocks maybe the size of your fist otherwise they will just slip through the tines. The landscape rake works good for popping some of those rocks loose. It works great for spreading gravel around but not collecting it. They work nice to collect sticks and leaves to clean up your trails or an area you are trying to turn into mowing space. They also work nice for preparing seed beds.

Landscape Rakes + Disc Harrows | Heavy Duty Farm Tools + Implements | Farm + Acreage | Northern Tool + Equipment

Rakes - Mills Fleet Farm

·
Registered
225 Posts
What about York Rakes. They have rippers and wheels. These look pretty pricey though and may be more for commercial use. I've been thinking about a rake also as I too have a lot of rocks.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Get the gauge wheels!

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I picked up a J Bar rake. I must say, it is probably my favorite attachment right now. Quality wise it is fine. I worked it for about 4 hours yesterday and it worked like a champ. It isn't quick hitch compatible, but I'm dealing with that for now. I went the cheap route for a couple of reasons. First, I didn't know how it would work on my property, as it turns out, it works well. Second, well, we are on vacation and wanted to get this work done and it was the only one I could find in stock relatively close.

Overall I'm very happy with it. My wife is happy with the results, which is what really counts (she wrote the check)! :good2:

IMAG1018.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Bubber, My wife does waaaay better using our rake than I do. Never did figure out why. Just sayin!

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
That looks like a five foot, is that correct? I'm asking because I will be picking one up soon also for my 1026R and am curious on the optimum size.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bubber, My wife does waaaay better using our rake than I do. Never did figure out why. Just sayin!
hahahaha....Keith...don't that jus drive u cazy??:laugh: i have the same deal.....she can get 2 more mpg w/our 460 F-250...i jus dont understand it:mocking:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I hear people talking about landscape rakes with wheels on them. What's advantages/disadvantages to having wheels on your landscape rake?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I hear people talking about landscape rakes with wheels on them. What's advantages/disadvantages to having wheels on your landscape rake?
Keeps it from digging. If you are just trying to rake on the top you can set the wheels. When I was trying to get a new lawn going I used a landscape rake (without wheels) and it ripped crabgrass out by the roots with about 5 passes. I had piles of crabgrass and was ready to seed. So there is no way I could have raked up rock without doing vegetation damage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts