Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we're going to be taking possession of our new house in July, it's on a 5 acre lot and I'd like to turn some of that into lawn, some into garden, etc. There's a LOT of open space, lots of field, it used to be farm land a number of years ago.

When walking the build site, I noticed a lot of rocks, discarded bricks, etc. I know how this works as I've been through this before, they'll all be buried a foot or less when they do the final grading.

I'd like to remove as much of it as possible before I landscape the yard, and will probably be doing it across 2 acres or more. I was thinking of using a box blade to pull everything up that's reachable by the tines and then use a landscape rake to gather the rocks, bricks, and discarded pop cans into piles. Then FEL them into another larger pile. I'll have a tiller as well but I don't think that would be too good for the tiller...

I am open to other ideas though, is there any attachments that would help with this task that don't cost a small fortune? I hear mention of renting a skid steer and using a rock rake but I'd like to use the tractor if I can since I already have it...

Thanks!

-J

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A rock bucket or the bottom jaw of a grapple pushing through the top layer of earth?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Grapple.

·
Premium Member
6,073 Posts
I built a screener and it worked ok but if you’re using a 1025R? They don’t have much lift height so pay attention to that when building one.

As Satch said the dirt needs to be very dry and things get real dusty. Be prepared to get filthy. I would get that rock bucket if moneys not an option. 2 acres? Rock bucket definitely

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,441 Posts
I built a screener and it worked ok but if you’re using a 1025R? They don’t have much lift height so pay attention to that when building one.
View attachment 784023 View attachment 784024
Can you give some details on how it's built?

Looks like some pretty beefy timbers! :oops: I can see why you have TWO red keys! ;)

What size mesh are you using?

Reactions: Mackford13 and Kbar

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi all, we're going to be taking possession of our new house in July, it's on a 5 acre lot and I'd like to turn some of that into lawn, some into garden, etc. There's a LOT of open space, lots of field, it used to be farm land a number of years ago.

When walking the build site, I noticed a lot of rocks, discarded bricks, etc. I know how this works as I've been through this before, they'll all be buried a foot or less when they do the final grading.

I'd like to remove as much of it as possible before I landscape the yard, and will probably be doing it across 2 acres or more. I was thinking of using a box blade to pull everything up that's reachable by the tines and then use a landscape rake to gather the rocks, bricks, and discarded pop cans into piles. Then FEL them into another larger pile. I'll have a tiller as well but I don't think that would be too good for the tiller...

I am open to other ideas though, is there any attachments that would help with this task that don't cost a small fortune? I hear mention of renting a skid steer and using a rock rake but I'd like to use the tractor if I can since I already have it...

Thanks!

-J
I'm thinking a York Rake would do the trick & they aren't too spendy.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I am thinking that the scarifiers on a box blade will be too far apart to reliably pull bricks and brick-sized rocks to the surface. And if they are buried a foot deep or more, it will be similar to pulling 4 or more subsoiler plows at the same time. You don't say what tractor you have, but as this is the SCUT forum, I think you'd be underpowered to accomplish your goal with a SCUT and a box blade.

Contracting out the job or renting bigger equipment sounds like a better approach to me. Contracting would have the added benefit of getting all the debris hauled off as well.

·
Premium Member
6,073 Posts
Can you give some details on how it's built?

Looks like some pretty beefy timbers! :oops: I can see why you have TWO red keys! ;)

What size mesh are you using?
I used chain link from a fence I demoed on a jobsite
The timber’s are 4x12 pressure treated I also got from the same job coincidentally by the shoring contractor who’s a friend of mine. They always order more than they need and I scored a half a bunk before they hauled them away

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,441 Posts
I used chain link from a fence I demoed on a jobsite
The timber’s are 4x12 pressure treated I also got from the same job coincidentally by the shoring contractor who’s a friend of mine. They always order more than they need and I scored a half a bunk before they hauled them away

View attachment 784028
Thanks Kyle!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Best addition to a homemade screener is a truck bed vibrator off of a dump truck. It works great.

·
Administrator
20,846 Posts
Here is my vote: Rent a skid steer (AKA bobcat) with a Harley Rake or Rockhound, use the tractor to clean up the waste. It will be fast and efficient, and leave the soil ready to seed.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Here is my vote: Rent a skid steer (AKA bobcat) with a Harley Rake or Rockhound, use the tractor to clean up the waste. It will be fast and efficient, and leave the soil ready to seed.
Would you think the Harley rake would pulverize the bricks? I would be worried about being able to gather intact bricks with that method.

·
Administrator
20,846 Posts
Would you think the Harley rake would pulverize the bricks? I would be worried about being able to gather intact bricks with that method.
I've only used a Rockhound, rented it when I built my house 18 years ago, it could eat an intact brick IIRC.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
260 Posts
Harley rakes have a forward and reverse direction, controlled in the cab. To operate effectively the Harley rake needs to spin opposite your direction of travel , this action moves the debris ahead of your direction of travel. You can either side row( angling rake) or end row (straight rake) your debris based upon how you want set up debris cleanup.

·
Registered
3025E
271 Posts
Kennyd has the right idea, the skid steer with a Harley rake is the ticket. I was in the same boat 3 years ago. My 5 acre lawn was an old bean field littered with rocks. The Harley rake will pull rocks up and windrow them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Kennyd has the right idea, the skid steer with a Harley rake is the ticket. I was in the same boat 3 years ago. My 5 acre lawn was an old bean field littered with rocks. The Harley rake will pull rocks up and windrow them.
Sounds like a terrible thing to do to a motorcycle, but ok. :)

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
206 Posts
You need one of those things I have seen on YouTube that looks like a forestry mulcher, but puts the smackdown on rocks.

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts
Got anyone in your area with a potato picker? Drag one through your area and it'll dig up everything down 2' or so and drop anything over ~2" in diameter into a trailer for you while leaving the screened dirt behind.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts