Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I overlooked one important thing when I bought my 1023E, the ability to set depth with rockshaft control lever, I assumed that the three point lift would stop wherever I wanted it to but that not the case and wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the internal valves to make it like a 1025R?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
The 1025R has an additional rockshaft feedback valve mounted on the right side of the rockshaft housing. I would assume, but not sure, this valve could be added to a 1023e. I would ask your dealer to make sure.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,689 Posts
I'm thinking everything from the fender to the valve, to the rockshaft housing will have to be replaced.

Make sure to check out JDParts.com. Register for free and you can see what's different between the two models. We can help you if you decide to go and take on this challenge.

Personally, it would be a lot easier to trade it in for the tractor you need.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I'm thinking everything from the fender to the valve, to the rockshaft housing will have to be replaced.

Make sure to check out JDParts.com. Register for free and you can see what's different between the two models. We can help you if you decide to go and take on this challenge.

Personally, it would be a lot easier to trade it in for the tractor you need.
Agree with Dieselshadow concerning trade the 1023e in on a 1025R.:good2:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
All the depth control on my 1026 is is a "stop jam screw" installed in the operating lever slot. Further back it's set the higher the 3pt will ride. It's not hydraulic, it's only a lever limiter. Maybe a 1023 has a lever/slot like that one could add a redneck sliding jam screw thingie...?

·
Premium Member
12,215 Posts
All the depth control on my 1026 is is a "stop jam screw" installed in the operating lever slot. Further back it's set the higher the 3pt will ride. It's not hydraulic, it's only a lever limiter. Maybe a 1023 has a lever/slot like that one could add a redneck sliding jam screw thingie...?
It's more than that. The 1026 can have that stop-screw because it has position control. Meaning you can rotate the rockshaft lever to a specific position and the 3PH will go to that position in a repeatable fashion. I believe on the 1023e (which does not have position control) the rockshaft lever is centered and you push it forward to lower the 3PH or pull it back to raise the 3PH but the lever returns to the center each time.

Using Rockshaft Control Lever - 1023E

LVAL38282-UN-21AUG12

A - Rockshaft Control Lever
B - Depth Stop Lever
Use rockshaft control lever (A) to raise and lower equipment attached to the 3-point hitch.Lower Implement: Push lever forward to lower implement. Lever will automatically return to neutral position (center) when released.
Raise Implement: Pull lever rearward to raise implement. Lever will automatically return to neutral position (center) when released.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
There is actually much more to the 3 point sensing system than the stop on the lever. There is an entire valve added to the right side of the upper rockshaft housing. You can get to the valve by removing the right rear wheel/tire. From this valve, there is a linkage rod that connects to the right hand 3 point lift arm. This valve and linkage is what provides the feedback control for the 3 point positioning. Again, whether this valve and linkage can be installed on a 1023e is the question that needs to be answered by someone that knows the inspection and outs of both tractors in this area. I would assume it can be done, but at what cost. Even if you do make the change, you still have a 1023e, not a 1025r.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Educate me here: So if I set the jam screw in the slot to keep rockshaft/implement depth of say 4" and it will return to 4" depth the next lever cycle... Ain't that "controlling the position"? What is the "PC Valve" on the rock shaft do that the slider stop won't?

My ancient inquiring mind doesn't seem to want to understand this one.:laugh:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Educate me here: So if I set the jam screw in the slot to keep rockshaft/implement depth of say 4" and it will return to 4" depth the next lever cycle... Ain't that "controlling the position"? What is the "PC Valve" on the rock shaft do that the slider stop won't?

I think what people are saying is that the 1023 has a quarter incher not a position control system like the 1025 and, I think, the 1026.

Here is a JD marketing video about position control vs a quarter incher. The video is comparing it to a BX25 but the 1023 uses a similar system. It's one of the reasons I went with the 1025R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ublsJIgGo_U

·
Premium Member
13,358 Posts

Not on a 1023, there is no way to have a set screw to a certain depth, you can put a set screw at what you think of 4" but I can move my rockshaft lever on 2" and it will continue to fall until something interferes with the gravitational process (the ground). It can be a hassle at times but believe it or not it's not rocket science, just takes a little getting used to.

·
Premium Member
12,215 Posts

To quote Neo "There is no jam screw". :) The 1025R/1026 has the jam screw (aka stop lever) but the 1023e does not. There is also no depth markings on the 1023e rockshaft lever. It is a spring loaded lever - push one way to lift and the other way to lower.

Think of it like the SCV on your loader. You push forward to lower and pull back to raise and the lever springs back to the center. There are no markings which allow you to raise the loader to X-number of inches off the ground. Non-position control on the 3PH works the same way.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Thanks for the explanations. I think I got it!:laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,358 Posts
Will test today and see if that works, even the rockshaft lever will return to the center position.
I'm just going to say that trading "up" isn't as financially sound as people make it sound. You, "just trade up". Unless you feel you can afford that or that you just simply can't live without position control. You could just make something mechanical with chain that you could adjust that would stop the 3 point at a certain height, just guessing but there are a lot of brilliant minds on this forum that could come with a solution for you.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I overlooked one important thing when I bought my 1023E, the ability to set depth with rockshaft control lever, I assumed that the three point lift would stop wherever I wanted it to but that not the case and wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the internal valves to make it like a 1025R?
What implement(s) are you considering using? Seems you can add height adjusting wheels or skids to anything?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does this mean that I can't make or buy a stop that is used on a 1025r on my 1023e and make it control my box blade depth?

·
Premium Member
12,215 Posts
Does this mean that I can't make or buy a stop that is used on a 1025r on my 1023e and make it control my box blade depth?
Correct. You cannot use any type of “stop” because your 3PH height is not controlled by the “position” of the rock shaft lever.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
No. The position of your box blade on your 1023E isn't related to the position of the rockshaft lever. The rockshaft on a 1023E is spring-loaded and always returns to its center position. You push it forward and hold it until it reaches the height you want then let go and it stops.

I've thought about adding the valve and linkage to my 1023E but my ground-engaging equipment is pretty limited and I don't really have a need for position control....simple up<->down works well for my needs. I can't see the expense of adding that to my tractor as being worthwhile for me and I seriously doubt that "trading up" to a 1025R just to get position control would be even remotely cost-effective. You'd have to really be into tilt steering wheels and armrests on your seat to make that worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts