Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run my ROKU3 off of DSL,,, Yea, I know that is bad,,, but sometimes the pic is SD,,, sometimes HD,,,

I notice if I pause the movie, sometimes (I guess) it buffers the movie and switches from SD to HD.

I would prefer HD only,,, is there any way to "force" the ROKU to only play in HD?? :dunno:

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
As far as I know you can only control the SD/HD via the stream. Thr Roku unit is going to play whatever is coming down the pipe.

I know Netflix has options on the streaming level you can get but that depends on your internet speed. I think you need a minimum of 3Mbs for HD and it costs $1 more per month. You can go even higher for more money.

If you have Netflix set to automatic it will cmstantly look at your download speed and adjust if necessary. It might go back and forth between SD and HD a few times per hour. I have my Neflix set to HD only since I have the download speed.

·
Registered
592 Posts
As far as I know you can only control the SD/HD via the stream. Thr Roku unit is going to play whatever is coming down the pipe.

I know Netflix has options on the streaming level you can get but that depends on your internet speed. I think you need a minimum of 3Mbs for HD and it costs $1 more per month. You can go even higher for more money.

If you have Netflix set to automatic it will cmstantly look at your download speed and adjust if necessary. It might go back and forth between SD and HD a few times per hour. I have my Neflix set to HD only since I have the download speed.
They're getting you for $2 now for HD content ($7.99 basic, $9.99 for the middle tier). I'm not impressed by that. Actually I became unimpressed when they increased the prices for the 2 DVD + streaming plan. We dropped down to just streaming.

That said, I love Netflix. We watch a lot of The Andy Griffith Show and various kid shows.

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
They're getting you for $2 now for HD content ($7.99 basic, $9.99 for the middle tier). I'm not impressed by that. Actually I became unimpressed when they increased the prices for the 2 DVD + streaming plan. We dropped down to just streaming.

That said, I love Netflix. We watch a lot of The Andy Griffith Show and various kid shows.
It's $8.99 for the HD but I think I am grandfathered in on the old price for this year.

Yeah, there really isn't a lot of difference between SD & HD on Netfix but I really do notice it since all I have is analog cable. Just amazing to me the details of everything including the actor's faces.

So for me the $1 per month is well worth it.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This may be my issue,, :dunno: I had Netflix consistently in HD until recently,,,
now, probably, everything is 100% SD,,, the SD is too hard on my old eyes,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
592 Posts
It's $8.99 for the HD but I think I am grandfathered in on the old price for this year.

Yeah, there really isn't a lot of difference between SD & HD on Netfix but I really do notice it since all I have is analog cable. Just amazing to me the details of everything including the actor's faces.

So for me the $1 per month is well worth it.
I'm grandfathered in too. New customers are paying $9.99.

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
This may be my issue,, :dunno: I had Netflix consistently in HD until recently,,,
now, probably, everything is 100% SD,,, the SD is too hard on my old eyes,,, :flag_of_truce:
The past 2 nights our Netflix picture has been terrible - worse than an SD signal. I did my Roku speed test to see what it is getting from the router and getting 9+Mbs as usual. I have a suspision now after checking all my gear that Netflix is having some problems.

I checked a show on A&E and it was certainly in HD.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Use test videos and the * button

Search Netflix for "Example Short 23.976" to test. Here's the URL, as search is failing:

http://www.netflix.com/title/70136810

Also press * on your Roku remote while watching Netflix and it will show you the resolution and other data. See below.

IMG_0016.JPG

And I think the pictures are sideways when taken from a phone. It's auto-rotating to be in landscape mode.

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
Search Netflix for "Example Short 23.976" to test. Here's the URL, as search is failing:

http://www.netflix.com/title/70136810

Also press * on your Roku remote while watching Netflix and it will show you the resolution and other data. See below.

View attachment 129193

And I think the pictures are sideways when taken from a phone. It's auto-rotating to be in landscape mode.
Thanks for the tips! I knew about the example short but didn't know about the "*" button - going to try that out tonight.

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
Well the * button works like a charm!

I did a little testing this evening. Checked my Netflix settings and verified I had it set to stream 1080 only (not auto). Then poking around in my Roku settings I found something I never saw before - Display Preferences. Went into that and here I had it set to 720P. Duh - I guess it was set at that from the factory and I had never found it. Set it for 1080P.

Then did a test on 3 different Netflix shows and found I have a good consistancy now. The shows start out at 480 - then after 5-10 seconds it jumps to 720 - then 5-10 seconds jumps to 1080 and seems to stay there. This test was done around 6pm.

We usually watch one of our Netflix shows around 8pm so looking forward to checking the streaming level then more toward prime time. I read somwhere that some ISPs were throttling the Netflix streams during prime time and that Netflix has started paying some bigger providers to increase the speed for them. That is why I wanted to do a test earlier then later - we'll see.

The past 2 nights the Netflix picture was way worse than my analg cable picture - very frustrating!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well,, it turns out that my daughter remembered my issue.
This happened before,, I had to contact (message) ROKU last time.

I had to "remove" then "install" Netflix,,, resolution problem resolved.

We have 2 Roku3's,, the older one seems to have an issue.

At least I have a work-around,,, :dunno:

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
Well,, it turns out that my daughter remembered my issue.
This happened before,, I had to contact (message) ROKU last time.

I had to "remove" then "install" Netflix,,, resolution problem resolved.

We have 2 Roku3's,, the older one seems to have an issue.

At least I have a work-around,,, :dunno:
Glad you got it sorted! That was going to be my next step.

Well last night I had our whole show running steadily in 1080 - beautiful! I don't know if was something I did or if Netflix fixed something on their end. Maybe just by changing and resetting my settings on Netflix plus in the Roku unit along with a couple reboots did the trick. I'll have to remember next time to do the uninstall/reinstall if I can't get it to work.

And a note about the Display Preferences in the Roku settings menu - I realize now that the setting affects only the Roku menu screens - not what the unit can stream.

Thanks TickTock and CADplans - at least by talking this out I have a resolution - that's what is so nice about this forum!

Also thought I would mention another tool I use for troubleshooting - a speed test app for the Roku unit. It installs just like a channel and shows your internet speed at the Roku unit. Since I am going through 2 routers (one router and one wireless access point) the first thing I do is check the WiFi speed my Roku is getting. Now of course I know how to check the speed of the actual Netflix stream also.

https://www.rokuchannels.tv/speedtest/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts