Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need the roll bar top section from a 2017 or earlier 1025r which adds about 22" to the bottom section when fully extended (see picture 1).

My 2018 model year 1025r top section adds about 32" to the bottom section when fully extended. JD's mod to the 2018 roll bar ensures damage to the 3 point top link if top section is folded down.....dumb mod IMO (see picture 2)!

Dealer says the shorter roll bar top section cannot be purchase separately.

Contact me at [email protected] if you have the shorter version roll bar top to sell or trade for my longer version. 20180425_175747.jpg JD1025R in MV12.jpg

·
Registered
588 Posts
I maybe an idiot, but how does a top section add inches to the bottom section only when it is folded up? I’m confused right now. :dunno:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I maybe an idiot, but how does a top section add inches to the bottom section only when it is folded up? I’m confused right now. :dunno:
I think he's saying it adds another 10 inches to the whole thing.:dunno:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think he's saying it adds another 10 inches to the whole thing.:dunno:

Simple minds need simple questions. I’m getting a little :crazy: when the years pass.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simple minds need simple questions. I’m getting a little :crazy: when the years pass.
Robnic is correct it adds to the overall height of the roll bar. Sorry for my confusing description of the problem. As much as I hate to do it, I will have my top section shortened by 10" if nobody has the shorter version to sell.

·
Premium Member
10,692 Posts
Robnic is correct it adds to the overall height of the roll bar. Sorry for my confusing description of the problem. As much as I hate to do it, I will have my top section shortened by 10" if nobody has the shorter version to sell.
Rather than cutting off the existing top section, have you considered getting some square stock and simply making a new shorter top section? You could always make the top square instead of rounded on the corners for simplicity. I've seen plenty of guys make new top sections. I've considered it on my 2720 as the ROPS is so high it won't fit in my garage or most places in the yard. As a result it has been folded permanently since buying the tractor.

It may be of no concern but as you probably know the issue with modifying the existing top section is that if you ever decide to sell or trade in the tractor you will take a big hit as the only way to undo the mod is to replace the entire ROPS. If you plan to keep the tractor forever then its really no big deal but otherwise it is something to consider.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Rather than cutting off the existing top section, have you considered getting some square stock and simply making a new shorter top section? You could always make the top square instead of rounded on the corners for simplicity. I've seen plenty of guys make new top sections. I've considered it on my 2720 as the ROPS is so high it won't fit in my garage or most places in the yard. As a result it has been folded permanently since buying the tractor.

It may be of no concern but as you probably know the issue with modifying the existing top section is that if you ever decide to sell or trade in the tractor you will take a big hit as the only way to undo the mod is to replace the entire ROPS. If you plan to keep the tractor forever then its really no big deal but otherwise it is something to consider.
Jgayman, very good thinking on the problem now and the problem in the future. Even better solution that can be undone. Confucius say , “ never saw off sore toe today, you may need to walk tomorrow “ :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Maybe from a tractor salvage yard?? There might one that burned, or fell off a trailer???

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Damn, I can't believe they've made them even taller, my 2014 1025r ROPS is ridiculously tall, won't fit under a regular 7 foot garage door. Are they now shooting for not fitting under an 8 foot door? :laugh:

I modded up a different top section for mine from square tubing as mentioned above but didn't modify the existing for future resale consideration.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I think the way there making them now is to stop Roll Over and make it more a Tip Over Bar? Mine sure is way above my head by a couple feet plus! My JD4044M Measured at the highest point on the bracket for the roll bar is 83". Plenty of room to go under my 7 ft doors on the barn runways if you don't bump it going in. (Ha Ha) The place I park my tractor has a door that can go to 14 ft high if needed. So my roll/tip over bar is up all the time except to clean the barn once a year for a day or two.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Damn, I can't believe they've made them even taller, my 2014 1025r ROPS is ridiculously tall, won't fit under a regular 7 foot garage door. Are they now shooting for not fitting under an 8 foot door? :laugh:

I modded up a different top section for mine from square tubing as mentioned above but didn't modify the existing for future resale consideration.
Or you could get a taller shop.:yahoo::gizmo:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I did think about making a shorter top section and might end up doing just that if nobody has a top section for sale. My last resort will be to cut the original. I can run without the top section for the summer since the machine will be used for mowing on relatively flat ground. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the short version of the top section.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The newer design allows for folding forward or tilting back or folding down against the tool box. Here's what I hate about each position:

Folded forward.......too high to go under my 7 foot garage openings.

Tilted back......be prepare to hit walls or other objects when backing up. Don't worry about backing into things with the 3 point. Watch the roll bar instead of the 3 point. The roll bar sticks out further than the 3 point. (don't ask how I know this).

Folded down to the tool box.....whatever you do don't lift the 3 point when the bar is all the way down unless you like buying another top link.

PPD = piss poor design and I let my dealer know it!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Or you could get a taller shop.:yahoo::gizmo:
Been there and done that. My garage and barn have 7 foot doors, and every other tractor I've owned would fit under them. But I made sure my last 2 buildings have the 8 footers JIC. :flag_of_truce:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Well, I have a top section for my 1026 that I don't use. Banged my head on it to many times when at 90%. Then I put it all the way down and it just made noise and was in my way so I took it off and it's been collecting dust in the barn ever since. I would do a trade if it didn't cost me anything. What part of the U.S. are you?

·
Registered
70 Posts
ROPS bar

Lots of good advice above. You mentioned cutting to shorten and thats what I did in Feb. 2017. Search my mod. (2032r Rops Mod.) in the above search box. It is one of my better mods with no issues.
If and when you sell, do a private sale the new owner will probably give you more because he won't have to shorten the Rops. Just be up front with the new owner.
Now you have several options, just pick the one that works best for you.

J-D Don:greentractorride:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I have a top section for my 1026 that I don't use. Banged my head on it to many times when at 90%. Then I put it all the way down and it just made noise and was in my way so I took it off and it's been collecting dust in the barn ever since. I would do a trade if it didn't cost me anything. What part of the U.S. are you?
Levi,

Thank you for the trade offer. However, I would prefer buying rather than trading. If interested in an outright sale give me a price. Of course I would pay the cost of shipping/handling to Pennsylvania.

I see your a Marine so you may have heard of Fort Indiantown Gap, PA. I'm located 4 miles from the Gap just 2 miles from Exit 90, I-81. If you would like to talk feel free to contact my cell at 717-926-5117.

Thanks again for the offer to trade.

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of good advice above. You mentioned cutting to shorten and thats what I did in Feb. 2017. Search my mod. (2032r Rops Mod.) in the above search box. It is one of my better mods with no issues.
If and when you sell, do a private sale the new owner will probably give you more because he won't have to shorten the Rops. Just be up front with the new owner.
Now you have several options, just pick the one that works best for you.

J-D Don:greentractorride:
Nice job on the ROPS mod. I have several things to consider for sure before cutting the ROPS. Appreciate all the comments provided by everyone.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
Levi,

Thank you for the trade offer. However, I would prefer buying rather than trading. If interested in an outright sale give me a price. Of course I would pay the cost of shipping/handling to Pennsylvania.

I see your a Marine so you may have heard of Fort Indiantown Gap, PA. I'm located 4 miles from the Gap just 2 miles from Exit 90, I-81. If you would like to talk feel free to contact my cell at 717-926-5117.

Thanks again for the offer to trade.

Ed
Ran I-81 and I-78 many time when my wife and I drove truck. Never been there as a Marine. Spent most of my time over seas. I don't want to sell it out right as that would leave me with nothing just in case I might need it at a later date. Sorry I wasn't any help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts