Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday afternoon we started working on the garden and I was moving some dirt. I did this several times already on Sunday: scooping, keeping the loader bucket low, backing down the slope, and on my way. As I came up for another scoop I thought "I should drop some dirt in that low spot right there in front of me." I took a scoop and started to lower the bucket, back up, and turn on the same slope, but this time I also hit that low spot, which was enough to start the tractor on it's side.

Of course, it all happened fast at that point. I looked to the left and saw I was in the low spot, looked to the right and saw that both wheels were off the ground, then looked back to the left and stepped off the tractor that was already pretty much all the way over. Nobody was hurt.

The biggest problem is that I should have lowered the bucket further before backing and/or turning, though I'm pretty sure I had to back up at least some to simply have room to lower it further. And then, of course, turning on the slope didn't help. The loader bucket wasn't as high as this picture shows. The angle of the photo exaggerates the height of the loader (it's not straight on), and where the tractor went over there is a skid mark where the tractor and loader moved about a foot. I'm not exactly sure how high the loader bucket was, but definitely below the hood. The lights on the left side of the ROPS are completely destroyed, but it otherwise seems to be ok.

Anyway, I went over to my neighbor (who I've talked to exactly once!) and asked if he could right the tractor with his skid steer. A few minutes later it was righted, but it wouldn't start. A few hours later, it started up and I drove it back to the shed and put it away. That was enough tractoring for one day.

Are there things I should look at after an accident like this? The diesel cap was on tight, the hydraulic fluid leaked a few ounces, and oil level looked ok. Aside from the ROPS lights there didn't seem to be any damage anywhere else, but I'm not sure what to look for.

12928426_10207861835175572_2955530356281984492_n.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,271 Posts
Wow! I am so glad you weren't hurt. The machine is always fixable or replaceable, a person, yeah not so much. As for what to look for, I'll defer that to the experts.

BTW, this is another reason why I am so spoiled with having flat property!

P.S......coaltrain, looks like the ROPS is up in the pic, but good point about the seatbelt.

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
P.S......coaltrain, looks like the ROPS is up in the pic, but good point about the seatbelt.
Yeah - I saw that with my second look and edited my post.

Then my next question would be about any balast?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah - I saw that with my second look and edited my post.

Then my next question would be about any balast?
Looks like he had the Tiller on it, not sure if enough ballast or not. Glad your ok.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow, glad nobody was hurt. The next thing that came to my mind after looking at the picture is the slope really doesn't look too steep. I think I have a few areas of my yard that are worse around my back fence. The only reason I had ballast is I was using the rotary cutter and then would turn around and use the FEL with a piranha bar if needed. I do have fluid filled tires in the rear. I guess I consider my self lucky at this point, thanks for posting even if it was hard to do.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ROPS was up, seat belt was not on. I put the ROPS up because I always bang my head into it when it's folded at 90 degrees. I've never worn the seat belt because our property is pretty flat -- aside form this one small slope in this area of the front yard. The area is built up with a stone wall and our woods -- the entry and exit area is only about 8' wide with the low point at one end and high at the other. (In other words, going up the slope to enter and going down the slope to exit.) So yeah, I never wear the seat belt. Seeing the tractor on its side, I'm not convinced that I should have been wearing the seat belt -- I would have definitely hit my shoulder, arm, and head into the ground and I can't say what the force would have been but it surely would have hurt! On a larger tractor where I think the alternative to a seat belt would be a need to jump clear of the tractor, and I can see how that would be very dangerous. But on the relatively small 1025R I simply stepped off and out of the way. I always wear my seat belt in the car. Perhaps specific to this instance, but I think it's likely I would have been injured by being seatbelted in.

The 647 tiller was on the back, which is about 300+ pounds. I was carrying it very low, FWIW, because on each trip I noticed that I was tearing up some of the slope where it was dragging, and each time I forgot about raising it higher! I didn't even think about putting the backhoe back on (650 pounds?). Would that have helped? It would have been ballast at a higher center of gravity, I think.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I'm kind of curious about your "stepping off" the tractor.... Was the tractor in motion when you did this or had it already stopped and was on it's side?

Regardless, SUPER HAPPY to hear that you're not hurt!!

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
dan,
Glad to here you're OK. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
ROPS was up, seat belt was not on. I put the ROPS up because I always bang my head into it when it's folded at 90 degrees. I've never worn the seat belt because our property is pretty flat -- aside form this one small slope in this area of the front yard. The area is built up with a stone wall and our woods -- the entry and exit area is only about 8' wide with the low point at one end and high at the other. (In other words, going up the slope to enter and going down the slope to exit.) So yeah, I never wear the seat belt. Seeing the tractor on its side, I'm not convinced that I should have been wearing the seat belt -- I would have definitely hit my shoulder, arm, and head into the ground and I can't say what the force would have been but it surely would have hurt! On a larger tractor where I think the alternative to a seat belt would be a need to jump clear of the tractor, and I can see how that would be very dangerous. But on the relatively small 1025R I simply stepped off and out of the way. I always wear my seat belt in the car. Perhaps specific to this instance, but I think it's likely I would have been injured by being seatbelted in.

The 647 tiller was on the back, which is about 300+ pounds. I was carrying it very low, FWIW, because on each trip I noticed that I was tearing up some of the slope where it was dragging, and each time I forgot about raising it higher! I didn't even think about putting the backhoe back on (650 pounds?). Would that have helped? It would have been ballast at a higher center of gravity, I think.
You could very well be right about this I guess - I've never been around these little 1 series so I don't know. I do know that with my 2520 - even if I weren't crippled up - there is no just "stepping off" that tractor. I have to twist my body back and around the steering wheel to get on or off. So in a situation like you experienced, if I would try, I would likely be caught half way off and get crushed. Then add to that my limited mobility......so yes, I use my seat belt when the ROPS is up.

And this reminded my of my main reason for upgrading from my 2210 to my present 2520 - wheel size. The much larger back wheels/tires gave me so much more stability on hills. I have some pretty steep areas where I have cleared brush and made mowable.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad you are alright as these things happen so fast it and have lasting consequences, so I am glad you walked away. I had my 2320 almost go over a couple of years back and I exited the tractor like you did but ended up getting my thumb caught in the steering wheel as I went off the high side. It is tough to go against instinct.

I don't wear the seatbelt when on my machine as my property if very sloped and would rather come off then go for the ride. (Don't want to start a seatbelt vs. no seatbelt discussion though)

As for the tractor, you want to make sure that you do not have either oil or fuel pooled on the top side of any piston as being fluid they will not compress under a compression stroke which could cause internal damage. I would look to pull the injectors and spin the crank with a socket to see what comes out. Once you are certain that they are basically dry, you can put the injectors back in and start as normal.

I have a friend who deals wrecked cars and if the car was rolled, this is what we do as I have seen just a simple turn of the starter ruin a brand new engine.

Again, glad you are all right.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The best thing is.......you weren't hurt. Accidents can happen fast. Another person on this forum named Adamski also flipped his tractor a few years ago. ROPS and seat belts and all those warning stickers are there for a reason. I am glad for you that this turned out well!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
You could very well be right about this I guess - I've never been around these little 1 series so I don't know. I do know that with my 2520 - even if I weren't crippled up - there is no just "stepping off" that tractor. I have to twist my body back and around the steering wheel to get on or off. So in a situation like you experienced, if I would try, I would likely be caught half way off and get crushed. Then add to that my limited mobility......so yes, I use my seat belt when the ROPS is up.

And this reminded my of my main reason for upgrading from my 2210 to my present 2520 - wheel size. The much larger back wheels/tires gave me so much more stability on hills. I have some pretty steep areas where I have cleared brush and made mowable.
I think you're overthinking the "stepping off" part.

Since the tractor was going on its side, he simply had to put his left foot on the ground. He is now perpendicular to the tractor itself. It's a very easy mount and dismount from that position. Just like when rolling an ATV, you just put your foot down and let the thing lay on its side while you hold yourself up on that leg and move out of the way.

You could do it too back in your day, it's much easier than dismounting the regular way.

I never wore the seatbelt on my 1025. If it wanted to roll down a hill Id rather it do it by itself than with me on it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thanks for posting and glad you're ok. Try not to get in a hurry, that's when things happen.
As far as flat ground , looks can be deceiving. It only takes a small dip. A tiller would Not be enough ballast with a full bucket of dirt with piranha bar IMO.
ROPS up = seat belt On!
ROPS down = seat belt Off!
Did the tractor run for a bit after key off? I found out the hard way too they will run on there own oil. After righting tractor, it should not be attempted to start for several hours. Even then it's a smoke screen.
Live and learn... You can't be too safe.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you're overthinking the "stepping off" part.

Since the tractor was going on its side, he simply had to put his left foot on the ground. He is now perpendicular to the tractor itself. It's a very easy mount and dismount from that position. Just like when rolling an ATV, you just put your foot down and let the thing lay on its side while you hold yourself up on that leg and move out of the way.
Yes, that's exactly the right description. I was holding on to the Oh **** handle on the right side (I almost always hold on to that, for whatever reason), which probably kept me from sliding off, and then I simply put my left foot out to stand up away from the tractor.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
dan,

Glad you are OK and were able to walk away with no injuries.

As for looking for damage, check the loader arms to make sure they were not tweaked or the framing. Just curious, how did it run after you got it started and headed it back to the shop?

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
Glad to hear that no one was hurt. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 20 of 85 Posts