Green Tractor Talk banner

61 - 80 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
With the glow plugs out, will it turn over with the key? Never tried to hand crank of one this, but I would expect that it isn't exactly easy.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Are these machines more stable with R4's on them?
With R1 wheels set to the narrowest position, probably. With R1 wheels in any position, as wide, or wider than R4's probably not. R1 wheels are adjustable to multiple widths, to suit whatever the need, or task is.

·
Registered
3038E
10 Posts
View attachment 782401

Here is a picture of my Tractor before I pulled it back over.
Wow! Glad that you're OK. I know that it happens pretty fast, but It would be informative to hear the sequence of the roll-over. By chance did the downhill front wheel hit a dip? How was the tractor positioned relative to the contour line? Anyway hope that you get it up and running in no time. Lef.

·
Old Pa-pa
13,159 Posts
Well, apparently the 3039r is a little more top heavy than my old 870.
Thanks for sharing this, it is something we need to be reminded of.

I'm going to order a digital two axis inclinometer to install on top of the dash of my 4066.
It's stupid to be guessing about the slope angles, many off road vehicle types available
and they're not that expensive, some even have settable warning alerts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
First, I want to thank everyone for the kind thoughts and comments. It is really appreciated.

I spent the day yesterday getting the tractor from where it was to a place where it could be put on a trailer and taken to the dealer. It was at the lowest piece of our property and took a lot of towing, come along-ing, winching, breaking a winch and come along, buying a 16,000lb winch, to get it there but eventually it made it. The funny thing is that the friend that was helping me is an equipment operator and has access to several pieces of equipment that could pull it easily but they are all on jobs far away.

Answers to the questions (I summarized because I am not that good at quoting on this forum):

The wheels are John Deere Stock R1 Ag Tires, they are filled with water. I do not have weights on them. They are set to the width that they are because the bulk of the work that this tractor does is in vineyard rows and I need to fit between the vines. I wanted to get with a 4 series, but for my vineyard work it would have been too wide. I am going to look and see if I can widen it a little and still work in the rows. The R1 setups are adjustable. I am also going to get weights.

I righted the machine with a small electric winch that I had, it is a little 2000lb winch and I ended up using 2 pulleys to get the leverage to tip it back up. I was alone, so I secured the winch to my pickup and blocked the wheels of the truck to use it for an anchor.

As SRG and a few others have pointed out the 3039R is taller than the 870. It also has most of its heavy components up high. The 870 has larger tires, with more water in them. I don’t know the weights, but I would guess that the 870 although much smaller in HP is heavier. In hindsight I can see that the 3039r has a much higher center of gravity and I need to be more careful with it.

I do have a Farm/Ranch Insurance Policy and the Tractor is on that policy. I do not know if I have coverage for being an idiot and doing dumb things. For now, I am not going to pursue the insurance. Because we are in California and have had several fires very close to our property we are in a “High Fire Area” and it has made it really difficult to get insurance. I do not want to give them a reason to cancel our insurance. I would rather have it should something major happens. Depending on the cost to repair I may revisit that.

I was so busy getting the tractor out of its location yesterday that I did not have a chance to take a picture of the location. I will and post it here for reference.

You guys are absolutely correct, my pride is damaged, and I am beating myself up over it. The funny thing is that I am not as upset about the money that it is going to cost as much as I am upset with myself for getting myself into this position. I have been running tractors and equipment for over 20 years and should know better. I guess we all can have an absence of judgment and make mistakes. I want to thank you for the kind words and wishes, it is helping me feel better about myself!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
In looking at the location it appears that there is a dip in the location where the rollover occurred. One of the tires probably rolled into it. I cannot tell if it was the front of the back. I was on my second pass mowing this slope. I started lower down on the slope and when I tipped it I had moved up the slope a little bit (the width of the mower).

When it started to go it just went. It was not like a truck or a atv that the back tire starts to lift up and you have time to correct and get out of it. I think because of the pivoting front axle you do not get that warning. Once it started to tip I immediately pushed the clutch in and lowered the bucket (grapple) all the way down (it was pretty low to begin with). But that had no effect, it just continued to go. At that point I was trying to figure out how to get off.

Funny thing is that I have an inclinometer mounted on my 870, guess I need one for the 3039r as well.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
First I'm glad that you didn't get hurt or worse and hopefully the damage to the tractor is minimal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't removing the fel and adding suitcase weights to the front move the weight to a lower position and help with stability?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
First, I want to thank everyone for the kind thoughts and comments. It is really appreciated.

I spent the day yesterday getting the tractor from where it was to a place where it could be put on a trailer and taken to the dealer. It was at the lowest piece of our property and took a lot of towing, come along-ing, winching, breaking a winch and come along, buying a 16,000lb winch, to get it there but eventually it made it. The funny thing is that the friend that was helping me is an equipment operator and has access to several pieces of equipment that could pull it easily but they are all on jobs far away.

Answers to the questions (I summarized because I am not that good at quoting on this forum):

The wheels are John Deere Stock R1 Ag Tires, they are filled with water. I do not have weights on them. They are set to the width that they are because the bulk of the work that this tractor does is in vineyard rows and I need to fit between the vines. I wanted to get with a 4 series, but for my vineyard work it would have been too wide. I am going to look and see if I can widen it a little and still work in the rows. The R1 setups are adjustable. I am also going to get weights.

I righted the machine with a small electric winch that I had, it is a little 2000lb winch and I ended up using 2 pulleys to get the leverage to tip it back up. I was alone, so I secured the winch to my pickup and blocked the wheels of the truck to use it for an anchor.

As SRG and a few others have pointed out the 3039R is taller than the 870. It also has most of its heavy components up high. The 870 has larger tires, with more water in them. I don’t know the weights, but I would guess that the 870 although much smaller in HP is heavier. In hindsight I can see that the 3039r has a much higher center of gravity and I need to be more careful with it.

I do have a Farm/Ranch Insurance Policy and the Tractor is on that policy. I do not know if I have coverage for being an idiot and doing dumb things. For now, I am not going to pursue the insurance. Because we are in California and have had several fires very close to our property we are in a “High Fire Area” and it has made it really difficult to get insurance. I do not want to give them a reason to cancel our insurance. I would rather have it should something major happens. Depending on the cost to repair I may revisit that.

I was so busy getting the tractor out of its location yesterday that I did not have a chance to take a picture of the location. I will and post it here for reference.

You guys are absolutely correct, my pride is damaged, and I am beating myself up over it. The funny thing is that I am not as upset about the money that it is going to cost as much as I am upset with myself for getting myself into this position. I have been running tractors and equipment for over 20 years and should know better. I guess we all can have an absence of judgment and make mistakes. I want to thank you for the kind words and wishes, it is helping me feel better about myself!
Accidents can happen to anyone, especially on a new piece of equipment or doing something different. I know you are beating yourself up but the important thing is ok and you have the right idea about using it to learn. While our ground is mostly flat, we do have a few fields that I'm very leery about- especially since they also have groundhog holes. I have the luxury of going straight up and down those even though on the contour would be more efficient when mowing.
Take a look at what you can change on the equipment to make it safer, consider any changes to the operation on slopes and be thankful you are all in one piece. You may beat yourself up but the rest of us are all grateful you are able to share the experience. It may save one of us someday.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
622 Posts
I shared the post with my sons so they learn. The oldest responded "At least it cannot be seen from space!" I suspect it will be remembered. :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Keep us up to date, hope it’s not to bad. I often ask my insurance agent “will this make my rates go up”. Don’t be afraid to ask him if this will make it likely you will get dropped.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Glad you're OK and the tractor does not look badly damaged.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I too am glad you are OK. Reminds me of an almost ROLLOVER that I had in the cleanup in Joplin, MO after a tornado. I was pulling small trees that were 12 to 16 feet in length. I had brush forks on that were 4 foot wide so I had overhang on both sides. And the ground was sloped from right to left and this wasn't the first trip. It started in slow motion with right side tires coming about a foot to foot and a half high. What a feeling thinking I was going to roll the tractor. I steered left and the tractor begin to right itself as I headed down hill. I continued my turn making a circle and continues my trek to the street to pile the branches for the city to pickup. AND NO ONE SAW ME DO THIS. You can say it didn't happen because I have no pictures but the memory is etched in my memory. Brads Vineyard, you too will never forget this.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,983 Posts
Funny thing is that I have an inclinometer mounted on my 870, guess I need one for the 3039r as well.
Again, glad you're okay.

Disclaimer: I have an inclinometer on my 2038R, wife is a gadget person and bought it for me. I used to look at it but honestly never do anymore, though it is still there. The one downfall to having one is the "search", you know, I was at 22 degrees yesterday and didn't even pucker, let's see how 25 feels. Sometimes I think that gives us a false sense of security. The worst slope I have had my tractor on is in our own yard (28 degrees according to the gauge), didn't pucker one bit. Up in the horse pastures according to my gauge it is not at bad, though it feels worse in the seat up there, I simply let my natural born pucker factor guide me.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
@Brads Vineyard , when I was much younger than my 67 years I had the nerves that allowed me to do things that my common sense told me not to do. I have been very fortunate not to roll over as I have a slope that looks to be very similar to yours in the picture (the best I can tell).
But as I have aged and the nerves of steel I had softened considerably, I began to look for a safer way to mow that sloped area. It may not be possible for you due to the space in your vineyard, I don't know. If you have the room, this may help you next time.

I have started backing my bushhog up the slope which leaves the tractor much more stable. I use a MX6 JD bushhog with a cabbed 4520 CUT, R4 tires liquid filled and the tractor in 4WD. It works great on my slope which is about 15 feet wide.

Best of luck going forward.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I often ask my insurance agent “will this make my rates go up”. Don’t be afraid to ask him if this will make it likely you will get dropped.
I recommend against this, strongly. and in fact you should be very afraid to ask that question. Every single thing you say to your insurance company, whether you make an actual claim or not, is on record and used to determine your rate or if you should be dropped. They will have on record that you called to ask about the tractor rollover. You didn't file a claim, so there was not financial impact to factor into it but it will factor into your overall risk factor for them. And that record is available to other insurance companies too. So when you want to get a new policy with someone else, they will see that too and it will effect your rate or even get you denied.

If you ask the question "Will this make my rate go up" and you're told no, then you're being lied to. EVERYTHING affects your rate. Everything. If they know about it, it is a factor in your rate. It doesn't matter if you made a claim or not. It doesn't matter if it was your fault or not. Everything they find out about is on record with them and is a factor in your rate. Will your rate go up? Maybe. Will it go down? Maybe. The correct answer to "will this make my rate go up" is "maybe". Anyone telling you otherwise is a liar.

And BTW, you don't even need to identify yourself. Those a-holes will link an incident to your phone number and create the incident on your record without you even knowing it. I hit a deer. I called and asked if they need a police report, and if there was a maximum timeframe to make a claim if needed (it was 4:30am and no desire to wake the sheriff up and wait an hour). I didn't say who I was or give them any identifying information. They asked and I actually told them "no I'm not telling you that, I'm just asking a question, thank you." They linked the call to my cell phone number and opened an incident on my record. I started getting emails and calls from them regarding the accident asking for stuff and checking on me. I asked the agent "wtf how do you even know that happened, I didn't make a claim and I refused to even give them my name". He told me they link the call to the phone number and created the incident that way.

So in short, never ever call your insurance company just to have a chat with them about something you may or may not file a claim for. If you have a generic question that won't be policy specific and you insist on calling to ask them this generic question, block your caller ID (*67) and tell them nothing.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I recommend against this, strongly. and in fact you should be very afraid to ask that question. Every single thing you say to your insurance company, whether you make an actual claim or not, is on record and used to determine your rate or if you should be dropped. They will have on record that you called to ask about the tractor rollover. You didn't file a claim, so there was not financial impact to factor into it but it will factor into your overall risk factor for them. And that record is available to other insurance companies too. So when you want to get a new policy with someone else, they will see that too and it will effect your rate or even get you denied.

If you ask the question "Will this make my rate go up" and you're told no, then you're being lied to. EVERYTHING affects your rate. Everything. If they know about it, it is a factor in your rate. It doesn't matter if you made a claim or not. It doesn't matter if it was your fault or not. Everything they find out about is on record with them and is a factor in your rate. Will your rate go up? Maybe. Will it go down? Maybe. The correct answer to "will this make my rate go up" is "maybe". Anyone telling you otherwise is a liar.

And BTW, you don't even need to identify yourself. Those a-holes will link an incident to your phone number and create the incident on your record without you even knowing it. I hit a deer. I called and asked if they need a police report, and if there was a maximum timeframe to make a claim if needed (it was 4:30am and no desire to wake the sheriff up and wait an hour). I didn't say who I was or give them any identifying information. They asked and I actually told them "no I'm not telling you that, I'm just asking a question, thank you." They linked the call to my cell phone number and opened an incident on my record. I started getting emails and calls from them regarding the accident asking for stuff and checking on me. I asked the agent "wtf how do you even know that happened, I didn't make a claim and I refused to even give them my name". He told me they link the call to the phone number and created the incident that way.

So in short, never ever call your insurance company just to have a chat with them about something you may or may not file a claim for. If you have a generic question that won't be policy specific and you insist on calling to ask them this generic question, block your caller ID (*67) and tell them nothing.
I have no experience with this, however I have made it my practice to never call them unless absolutely necessary. I heard that they even track the number of times you call and keep that information on record. I guess this could be used to determine if someone is trying to take advantage of insurance, so I communicate as little as possible with them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I took a picture of the location last night.

To recap, I took one pass mowing the slope (shown in blue) then I moved up the slope to take a second pass (shown in red) as I got to the depression that you can barley see in the picture the Tractor rolled over and came to rest about where the red circle is.

It is a little steeper than shown in the picture, I think that the depression is what got me.

Hopefully posting this story and pictures will keep someone from making the mistakes that I did. Stay safe out there guys. Now I know that it could happen to all of us, mistakes happen and they happen quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Those little depressions have gotten many tractors, and some of their operators. The first and only time I almost rolled mine over was little unseen depression in the driveway I was spreading stone on. They hide and you don't know it's there until you feel your stomach shifting position.

61 - 80 of 134 Posts