Green Tractor Talk banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
I'm thinking it cant be any worse than the weight of a backhoe on the rear.
Weight and geometry are two different things. You're comparing apples and steak. Adding spacers multiplies the effect of the weight on the case.

You may not be pushing it to the breaking point. You not even be near the breaking point. But spaces do absolutely lower your margin and bring the breaking point lower. That may still be nowhere near what you do with your tractor. Or it might bring the breaking point right to the edge of what you normally do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
It took a little while but the Tractor is now back at the dealer and they are working on it.

Apparently it is not as simple as dropping the pan they had the pull the engine out of the tractor. Once out they found that I did bend a rod and consequently the piston came into contact with the crank. We believe that the crank is ok but they are going to check it over.

The other rods look ok at first glance but they are going to check them to be safe.

The plan right now is to pull the pistons, check them all, check the block, and if that is fine put new pistons and rods in where needed.

I will let you know as I find out more information.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
That stinks but thanks for the update. Might keep someone else from trying to start it after uprighting without clearing the cylinders.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
That’s a shame but not a surprise. No first hand knowledge but I’ve seen pics before from a Kubota. It’s been about 30 years ago but I was working with a contractor on a new sewage lagoon. Apparently on a previous project an operator was screwing around. He took a excavator bucket full of water and dumped it on the hood of a D8 that was running. The D8 sucked the water in and hydro locked the engine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Weight and geometry are two different things. You're comparing apples and steak. Adding spacers multiplies the effect of the weight on the case.

You may not be pushing it to the breaking point. You not even be near the breaking point. But spaces do absolutely lower your margin and bring the breaking point lower. That may still be nowhere near what you do with your tractor. Or it might bring the breaking point right to the edge of what you normally do.
Can you explain this more. I don't understand what you are trying to say about the spacers. Do the spacers help or hurt?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Spacers move the wheels and tires out, which in turn puts more leverage on the housing, and bearings in the housing. Simple leverage issue.

Hold a heavy object near your chest. Now extend your arms, and move the object farther and farther out. Gets harder to support, and tires/wears you out faster.
Ever look at a dually trucks front wheels, and notice how the wheels dish is backwards from most other vehicles, putting the tire farther in over the end of the axle? They use a longer axle out front to move the bearings out and the wheel/tire in. This helps protect the axle bearings and housings, and allows the weight ratings to go way up.

Wider is generally less tippy, but it wears parts out faster. Too much leverage in the right situation, could lead to an untimely failure. Could. It might not ever happen either but with an aluminum housing, I'd be leery.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
bent rod... we need a dislike or thumbs down, I cant hit the like button on that one. But those are excellent pictures. Please continue to keep us posted. Trust me, no one is laughing at you, we all seriously would like to learn this lesson from your experience. For that Thank you Sir!

·
Registered
29 Posts
ouch... I've done that a few times with off road toys... drop into a creek/mud hole/wash/thru the ice and suck the engine full of water. quickly bend a rod.... or worse crack a block.... Glad you are OK, and nothing human other than pride was hurt...

One thing I would like to point out though.. .if you have watched the recovery video linked previously in this thread... Please, Please do NOT do as these guys did... there are many things they did incorrectly but the most egregious is the strap to a chain...never use a strap to a chain or mix and match recovery gear like that. use one, or the other, and never hook over a ball or a chain hook on either end. always secure with a d-ring thru a complete ring, shackle mount, drawbar hole... something that will not let a piece fly if something breaks.

A strap is designed to stretch, a chain is not. If either of the two would have broken, the chain or piece of chain or d-ring or something would have become a projectile and would have likely killed someone if it had hit them, or at best just sliced them in two if the strap or chain wrapped around them.. I know this from first hand experience. Myself and a friend witnessed this happening when I was much younger and much dumber. one truck was stuck in a mud hole, a testosterone and beer fuel buddy of his said "i'll help ya", and they tied a strap off to the helper truck. the strap was not long enough so they stuck a chain between the helper and the strap stuck truck. dude got in his rig, fired'er up, and dropped the hammer and attempted to snatch the stuck truck from the mud... well, the strap stretched just like it was supposed to. then the chain broke. strap reacted just like designed and began to return to its normal state at a high rate of speed.... the end of the chain that was shackled to the strap came along for the ride.... went thru the tail gate, and the back window, and the helpers head. It killed the buddy instantly....

that all being said, i take recovery safety very very seriously, as do I most other safety.. I do however own the flattest piece of dirt in all of Utah, and do not worry too much about over turning my 4500....

have a good night all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just want to add my thanks for sharing your story with the group! I am a new 3025e owner and honestly wasn't more than generally aware of the danger of operating on slopes. I made my brother and son read this whole thread and we are all a little wiser and more careful thanks to your willingness. to share.

So glad you are ok and praying the tractor is back on the job soon.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I feel for you. That's rough...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can you explain this more. I don't understand what you are trying to say about the spacers. Do the spacers help or hurt?
They help the stability but hurt the bearings. Bearings are designed to hold the weight with the load directly above it. The semi's do it by the deeply dished wheels and longer housings. But spacers changes this for the tractor as the weight becomes offset compared to axle and bearings. Thus the weight isn't equally distributed on the bearing.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts