Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as not to take away from the other threads I thought I'd start a new one. It happened to me tonight as I was wrapping things up for the day. I painted most of the day and only have 2 more areas to paint but have to let it dry till morning so I quit...just not soon enough. Seeing as I had to take cat food and water to the barn I thought I'd take a load of 2x8's as I went and dispose of them. Not thinking I didn't have any weight on the back I did the rookie mistake going down hill. I raised the FEL up so I wouldn't drop any boards. Yep, the back end came up off the ground and then pivoted to the left. The FEL was to far up to bring it back down fast enough to rescue the tractor...so I bailed and the tractor helped by giving me a push. All I was thinking was shut the tractor off as I rolled down the hill! Even though I didn't see it I knew it was on it's side or worse, on it's top. Knowing how hard it was for me to stop myself I didn't know how the tractor would fair. You ever see a 64 year old man run uphill...fast? Hit the ground, sliding end over end, going down another hill, stop, back up the hill, shut the tractor off...5 seconds. Longest 5 seconds I've endured in a while. Tractor started to smoke, then knock, then I shut it off. I've got oil in both air filters and coming out of the exhaust. It knocked probably about 2 or 3 seconds. From the time it laid down till I got it back on 3 good tires and 1 flat tire...about 10 minutes. Wife came out to see and offer her explanations. She called our son who was just down the road. I put the tractor in neutral and had our son back my truck up so I could guide the tractor the rest of the way down the hill which wasn't far to the flat spot. Tomorrow I'll feel how bad my body is and check to see just how bad the tractor is. I think I did better then the tractor. I've got 3 scrapes...left knee, inside left ankle, back of right calf. All from dirt and rocks. I'll let the pics show how bad the tractor faired. Till I check things tomorrow I won't know. I did call Jason to see what I should do first. So I have to say "Thank You Jason"! This is kind of long so I'll post the pics in the next post.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Dang I'm glad your alright. Sorry to hear. Things happen and hopefully you and the tractor fair ok.

·
Super Moderator
4,895 Posts
Crap dude. Glad to hear you weren't hurt worse than a couple of scrapes and bruises. These stories skeer the beejeebers out of me every time I see one.

Hopefully the tractor isn't to bad off.

·
Premium Member
14,133 Posts
Levi

Dang glad to hear you're OK. Heart sank when I read your post. Hope your tractor Is OK.

Gene

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Glad you were able to post about your accident Levi :good2:

You'll be cruising that :greentractorride: in no time I'll bet!

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Yup, I'm very glad you weren't seriously injured. :good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG
This pic of the brick is to let everyone know if I would have had my seat belt on is where I would had hit and then slid after hitting. So no safety police please. It's always a 50/50 thing and we all take our chances our own way. This time it was in my favor. A wake up call. Hitting that would not have been a good thing. And I did thank God too. One of the first thing I did. He has saved me from myself many times.
IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Levi,

You're OK. The tractor will be OK. Lesson learned. Just take care of yourself.

Check the rig over thoroughly for bent parts. Replace the filters. If there's a quantity of oil in the air filter and intake assembly you should remove the intake ductwork and drain thoroughly. You may also want to remove the injectors and crank the engine over to vent any oil that may have been ingested during the roll-over. Then check and refill the crankcase. Once it's running and checked out then replace any cosmetic parts.

You'll probably be rethinking ballast, ROPS and seatbelt recommendations in the future.

You lucked out this time. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I can't imagine how you got clear with the severity of your slope, I would agree with a bit of The Lords help. So, so relieved you were not more seriously injured. Thank you for showing again what can happen so quickly on these machines.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Levi,

Glad you were able to get clear quick enough and come out almost unscathed. It probably was good that you didn't get the front loader down quick enough otherwise it may have rolled a couple of times and had a lot more damage. Take it easy and heal quickly. God Bless, someone was watching over you.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Geeze, neighbor . . . you literally dodged a bullet. The man upstairs was looking out for you.

So glad you survived what could have been a catastrophic event! Won't be long til you're back in the saddle again. We are all thankful for that . . . :good2:

·
Corndog Hater
11,271 Posts
What a shame Levi. We all know you operate on your steep slopes and are careful. Like 56FG said, the tractor is fixable or worst case, replaceable. Your spirits are good, hope you aren't too sore tomorrow. Get a good nights rest

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Holy Crap Levi ... Really glad you're OK. I also cringed when I saw the title of this thread and you being the OP.

Stick around ... I really enjoy reading your posts.

Now that we know you weren't hurt too badly, THANKS for the pics, they're a real wake up call to remember that bad things can happen in a blink of an eye, especially when tired.

Rest, heal and be safe.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
I'm sure glad you are okay Levi. Clicking the "like" button seemed so inappropriate.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thank goodness you are ok. From the looks of the pictures that could have turned out a lot worse.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts