Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I found the right-side bell crank on the transaxle broken. I got the parts and set out to fix it.

After two attempts which involved removing the right rear tire, I have been unable to get the pin to budge. I bought a set of punches including the required 6mm punch. No luck. Of course I'm working in a limited amount of space with arthritis in my shoulders. If I had it up on a lift I could probably do a lot better. I heated the broken part but probably not enough to do anything because I started worrying about the seal on the shaft coming out of the transaxle.

Attempt number 2 involved trying to drill it out, or at least drill it enough to make a hole to hold the punch in place. I bought two bits one cobalt and another titanium. All they did is polish the metal.
So unless I can get a practical suggestion on how to get this damn pin out it looks like I'm going to have to send it out for repair, which I hate to do. I hate to accept defeat from this thing.

And finally, what function does this bell crank provide? My parking brake still holds tight and my brakes work fine in both 2 and 4 wheel drive.

Automotive tire Gas Bumper Rim Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine Automotive fuel system
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Vehicle

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,322 Posts
Maybe there are two pins, one inside the other.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No just one.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,322 Posts
No just one.
My next guess is the pin broke and the bell crank rotated a bit. Can you run a wire from on side to the other through the roll pin?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My next guess is the pin broke and the bell crank rotated a bit. Can you run a wire from on side to the other through the roll pin?
Not a bad idea but it looks aligned with the one on the other side. If I get under there again I'll run a wire through to check.

Reactions: ttazzman and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,322 Posts
Not a bad idea but it looks aligned with the one on the other side. If I get under there again I'll run a wire through to check.
A drill bit the size of the roll pin hole may be a better option the bell crank would only have to rotate a tiny bit to stop the pin pieces from moving.

·
Premium Member
20,445 Posts
Just a dumb question ,, can the pin be driven out from the back side ,,, or have you tried from the back (other ) side.

·
Super Moderator
4,113 Posts

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,144 Posts
Does your Differential lock still work? I think that this may be activating that within the case. If your brakes still work and this is connected to the brakes, it would make sense the next function would involving the differential lock pedal operation. To be honest, I have never used the diff lock on my 1025r, yet I did use it all of the time on my 2wd 455.......................

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,144 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
And the punches youn are using are flat right? Not pointed. A pointed punch tries to 'spread' the pin wile driving it locking it in place / working against you - essentially the harder you punch the harder it seats itself to prevent it.

Issue may ne the paint - if it was painted after - the paint acts as glue. But it should come out relatively easily with the right punch

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,552 Posts
In the past I've used a small C-clamp with a small socket over the pin to get it started. Once it moves, even a little bit, a punch usually gets it out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a dumb question ,, can the pin be driven out from the back side ,,, or have you tried from the back (other ) side.
Actually that's a good question. But, there's not enough room to hit it from the back. The drain plug housing and rear axle are in the way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In the past I've used a small C-clamp with a small socket over the pin to get it started. Once it moves, even a little bit, a punch usually gets it out.
That's an idea. The pin sticks out a little in the back and the front is flush. I could put a socket over the front and tighten the clamp hopefully pushing the front out. That and some penetrating oil might get things moving.

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And the punches youn are using are flat right? Not pointed. A pointed punch tries to 'spread' the pin wile driving it locking it in place / working against you - essentially the harder you punch the harder it seats itself to prevent it.

Issue may ne the paint - if it was painted after - the paint acts as glue. But it should come out relatively easily with the right punch
Yes flat punch. But it's very hard to keep it aligned with the pin and hit it. The punch wants to slide around.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It links the brake to the differential lock.
Does your Differential lock still work? I think that this may be activating that within the case. If your brakes still work and this is connected to the brakes, it would make sense the next function would involving the differential lock pedal operation. To be honest, I have never used the diff lock on my 1025r, yet I did use it all of the time on my 2wd 455.......................
That's probably what it is, and makes me wonder if fixing it is worth the effort. I never use mine either.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: SulleyBear
1 - 20 of 44 Posts