Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any type of a roller/compacter or anything that could help maintain a long access road covered with "base coarse" material. It compacts nicely, but just dragging it leaves it very loose.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Pretty Cool - I wish I was that handy fabricating metal. But perhaps I could pay to have someone here do that. Any chance you have any close up pics?
Once you see that up close Kona, that is what you are going to want to make. You might find the hollow pipe for free on the island, you have sand, you'll just need a bag or two of cement and some cheap parts for the axle. Knowing how much it costs to ship things to your state , it should be perfect.:cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,174 Posts
I have a gravel driveway and I just use my Ohio Steel 60" lawn roller. It weighs around 900 lb. and works great for compacting the gravel. It was fairly inexpensive as I bought it on sale from TSC.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have a gravel driveway and I just use my Ohio Steel 60" lawn roller. It weighs around 900 lb. and works great for compacting the gravel. It was fairly inexpensive as I bought it on sale from TSC.
Reviews on TSC site are poor, broken welds and bearings failing. Of course people with issues are more likely to post.

It is good to hear you like yours.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm planning on building one out of the tank of an old water heater.

I used to have one that was two 55 gallon drums welded end-to-end turning on pillow-block bearings on each end. I filled that sucker full of concrete and it was heavy enough to make my M snort going up hill. No idea how much it weighed, but I couldn't move it without a tractor or a second person. Man did that sucker pack down the driveway nicely. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of it anymore.

·
Premium Member
12,174 Posts
Reviews on TSC site are poor, broken welds and bearings failing. Of course people with issues are more likely to post.

It is good to hear you like yours.
My apology, I gave you wrong info. My Ohio roller is the 24" x 48" model. They came out with a 60" after I bought mine. There aren't any bearings anywhere on mine. It's just a simple round tank with pins welded to each side that stick through holes in the frame. I put a little dab of water proof grease on the pins a few times during the season. The frame seems to have a bit of flex but it's been 3 years and no problems so far. I do have a wee bit of leakage around the side pins that is visible when the roller sits parked for a while. It's not enough though that I need to add water during the season. I drain and repaint it each winter. I pull mine with both my X500 rider and the 2720.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts