Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been there, done that. Just read an old thread here that disturbed me.

As the son of the Product Safety Manager at Deere, I was regular filled with horror stories about injuries suffered by tractor users.

Then I rolled my 670.

The right front wheel went up a berm as the left front one dropped into a shallow hole. The tractor went over counter clockwise in slow motion. My poor wife witnessed it from the top of the hill, rolling away from her, and me swearing up a storm.

As it went over, I reached for the seatbelt buckle. Then I heard my dad in my head.

"Son, if you ever roll your tractor, hang on and ride it over. The seat is the safest place to be, and you had better always have your seatbelt on.

You can't out run the tractor downhill. It will squash you. If you try to get off on the uphill side, that big rear tire is still turning and will wrap you up."
So, realizing that if I did it wrong and got hurt, I'd NEVER hear the end of it, I gripped the steering wheel with one hand, and the uphill fender handle with the other. (That's what it's there for. If you grab the fender lip, your hand can get crushed.)

The tractor laid over on its left side. When it settled, I released the seatbelt and got off.

First, I called a towing company to come right the tractor. Then I called Dad.

Not a scratch on me or the 670. After the tow truck righted it and dragged it up the hill, it fired right up. I was cautious about starting it, lest oil or fuel had leaked into a cylinder and hydraulic-locked it.

There's a term for the wives of tractor drivers that don't use their roll bars and seatbelts.

Widows...

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Wow! The pucker factor had to be intense. Thankfully you were using your belt. :thumbup1gif:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and reminding us that it can happen to anyone.

Basic safety rule, ROPS up, seatbelt on. ROPS down, seatbelt off. If you roll a tractor with the ROPS down, the seatbelt could possibly pin you under it as it rolls. Never try to jump off a rolling machine.

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
Great remimder and glad you and your 670 came out OK.

I used to be a heavy equipment instructor along with heavy dump trucks. What you said rings true for just about everything - the safest place is to stay in the seat.

Over the years I showed countless videos and Power Point presentations to students so this concept is engrained in my head. In a car, truck, or any cabbed equipment the safest place is in the cabin and strapped in. And of course with our smaller equipment with ROPS and seatbelt.

I've seen it proven time and again where a vehicle or piece of equipment was just about totally destroyed but the cabin area stayed mostly intact. And statistics show that getting thrown out of a moving vehicle or piece of equipment is the worst scenario.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I for one love these reminders. Thanks SLOweather and welcome to GTT :thumbup1gif:
what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^a great reminder and :wgtt:

·
Premium Member
14,133 Posts
Thanks for the reminder , and glad to hear you and your 670 are OK. Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:
:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing this experience with us, these things need to be talked about a lot more than they are. I really can't understand why some operators insist on no ROPS or belt thinking they can step away, (but I don't have to understand everything). I sure hope we never hear a story on this forum of someone injured or worse from refusing something as simple as ROPS and a belt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, all.

The ROPS saved me at least one other time, but not the way it was designed. We were cutting up a fallen oak on the far hill. I headed the 670 down the hill and some how lost control. I may not have had enough weight on the back, even though there is ballast in the tires. I recall sliding. Luckily, I was headed under another oak, and the ROPS caught on a branch and stopped me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts