Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard about this on the radio this morning. I post it as a reminder that things can go wrong at anytime for any of us.

Fatal Tractor Accident in Marion County

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 3:11 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 12, 2015 7:20 PM EDT
By Marisa Matyola, Harrison County Reporter

A Marion County man is dead after an accident at his home.

Larry Vishnick,67, was in his yard when a large tractor rolled and pinned him underneath, said police.

It happened on School Street in Baxter just after 12:30 p.m., Sunday.

When EMS arrived on scene, they immediately began administering CPR and were able to resuscitate him. However, he later died.

State Police is investigating.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Grim reminder that our tractors can turn a day of relaxation in to a day of tragedy.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You always wonder what the details were? Was there a rops? Seatbelt etc.... RiP.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Another rollover fatality:

http://www.wcvb.com/news/woman-dies-after-tractor-overturns-in-lincoln/32581522

Woman dies after tractor overturns in Lincoln
Woman trapped under overturned tractor

UPDATED 6:22 PM EDT Apr 26, 2015 Rhondella Richardson/WCVB

LINCOLN, Mass. —A woman was killed when a tractor she was riding overturned on Sunday in Lincoln.

The victim. identified only as a woman in her 60s, was trapped underneath the tractor on Town of Lincoln conservation land near Route 2A at Hanscom Drive.

The woman died from injuries sustained in the accident.

The woman's identity was withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The accident remains under investigation.

Looks like she was operating an old Ford tractor with no ROPS. There are TONS of these old Ford tractors in this area and I never see any that have been retro-fitted.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
ROPS retrofits

Another rollover fatality:

Woman dies after tractor overturns in Lincoln | Local News - WCVB Home

Looks like she was operating an old Ford tractor with no ROPS. There are TONS of these old Ford tractors in this area and I never see any that have been retro-fitted.
Sadly, most if not all overturn fatalities are preventable. Information about retrofitting older tractors is available at: ROPS Guide

USDA and NIOSH also worked on designs for tractors that did not have a commercially available rops retrofit. Those designs should be somewhere on the net. Virginia Farm Bureau coordinated several test installs on Fords and Massey Fergusons. I think the cost for a local welding shop to produce the rops was around $400. If replacement seats with seat belts were required, that added to the cost some but well worth it.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Sadly, most if not all overturn fatalities are preventable. Information about retrofitting older tractors is available at: ROPS Guide

USDA and NIOSH also worked on designs for tractors that did not have a commercially available rops retrofit. Those designs should be somewhere on the net. Virginia Farm Bureau coordinated several test installs on Fords and Massey Fergusons. I think the cost for a local welding shop to produce the rops was around $400. If replacement seats with seat belts were required, that added to the cost some but well worth it.

Treefarmer

The really sad part of this is that the State Of MA will reimburse the full cost of retro-fitting a ROPS to an older tractor. The MA Dept of Ag has a program for this that's been running for several years now. They even provide all of the info on where to buy it and have it installed. Yet, as I drive around I see a LOT of tractors without them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts