Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a protracted delay due to weather and other issues, the contractors finally started the roofing project on the main house on the homestead. Unfortunately previous family members that were to take care of the place let the maintenance slide far too long and now we are paying the price, literally and figuratively. There was a lot of damage to the 1800 sheathing, but the repairs were made, entire surface covered in ice and water shield, properly strapped and metal panels installed. All in all very happy with the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
New roofs are like new snow tires..................:good2:

:bigthumb: couldn't of said it better, than this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Looks great That is a long way up!! :good2:

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
This Old House

After a protracted delay due to weather and other issues, the contractors finally started the roofing project on the main house on the homestead. Unfortunately previous family members that were to take care of the place let the maintenance slide far too long and now we are paying the price, literally and figuratively. There was a lot of damage to the 1800 sheathing, but the repairs were made, entire surface covered in ice and water shield, properly strapped and metal panels installed. All in all very happy with the results.
Very nice. The place looks like the TV show This Old House. . .

Glad you got it done before the damage got worse.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
447 Posts
That snow will glide right off that roof when you get any. Look out below.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Looks good. We went to a metal roof five years ago. Cost a little more but you will never have to worry about replacing it.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Wow , big difference !! I am considering a metal roof when it comes time to replace mine as well . Does the metal increase the sound of rain ? :dunno:

·
Registered
144 Posts
There is a lot of pros to the metal roof. But some depends on how long you plan on living there. Some insurance company's may not replace a hail dented metal roof since it is still functional. If you have exposed fasteners it can be a leak piont after years of expansion and contraction. Internal TV antennas don't pick up the waves as well so plan on externally mounting it if you have one. And if you scratch the metal it can and will rust. The best out there is metal shingles. But it is the cost of some people's houses.

Have a fair amount of rood experiences in our family. Brother and father have metal. I have normal shingles and am getting replaced this year under insurance with the same due to hail. I don't plan on living here more then 5 or 10 years before moving closer to family. Brother and father aren't going to move ever as they are where they want.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you

Looks good Jeff and that's a neat looking old homestead.:good2:
Hi Colony Park, place has been in my family since 1639. The boys finished this past week. Here are a couple more of finished shots. This year we tackle barn, need to save my bottle money again for that project.

Glad its done now my kids don't have to worry about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
noise on the roof

Wow , big difference !! I am considering a metal roof when it comes time to replace mine as well . Does the metal increase the sound of rain ? :dunno:
I am not sure of that yet as we are still getting snow ... my thought is that the distance between the roof and the living space and the fact there is insulation and ceiling that the noise would dissipate, but I will update when we get a good rain storm for sure.

Jeff

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
where i stayed at my aunt and uncle's house, it was corrugated tin, ribbed like. and that house was not insulated to well, but when it would rain hard at night, sometimes it would wake me up, but ahh--in a little bit i was sound asleep again. raining on tin roof's is good therapy.:thumbup1gif: but i think, that this newer tin, being used for roof's, is completely different, a different sound coming off of it. just my 2 cts-ok.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Very nice. The place looks like the TV show This Old House. . .

Glad you got it done before the damage got worse.

Treefarmer
:good2:treefarmer--i too:thumbup1gif: thought of that show when i looked at his pics, but couldn't think of the name--thanks:good2::banghead:
we used to watch that show every weekend, yrs ago. i really liked it. they made it loook so easy.........................

aw-yeah-man that house was built in the 1600's. that is really something to be standing yet. good for uns.:bigthumb:

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
Hi Colony Park, place has been in my family since 1639. The boys finished this past week. Here are a couple more of finished shots. This year we tackle barn, need to save my bottle money again for that project.

Glad its done now my kids don't have to worry about it.
1639? Now that is something to be proud of!!!:good2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts