Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Have been lurking on the forum for awhile doing research, and am looking to make a purchase at the end of next week.

Have been to the dealer, and have decided that the 1025R is at the top of my list. We are finishing building our house on a 5 acre lot. 1.5 acres of lawn, remainder is currently treed. I will be planting about 80-100 trees along one side of our property, in addition to building a berm, doing some clearing work, planting a 1/3-1/2 acre garden and a number of other projects that the TLB combo will be great for.

Have a couple of questions:

After reading a lot of sources though, I'm worried about the 54in deck for cutting quality. Lawn quality and appearance are an important factor in the overall decision. So my question is, if the deck is $2500, does it make sense to buy another dedicated mower in place of the deck? I would really prefer to have one machine, but if the economics are similar, and the cut quality would be much better with a dedicated mower, I would appreciate any guidance possible.

Is a 2016 model the only option, or should I be looking for a 2017?

Final question is looking for validation on price. Quote out the door with tax and delivery from my local dealer is $24,945 including tax.

I've attached the quote.

Quote.png

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hi everyone,

Have been lurking on the forum for awhile doing research, and am looking to make a purchase at the end of next

After reading a lot of sources though, I'm worried about the 54in deck for cutting quality. Lawn quality and appearance are an important factor in the overall decision. So my question is, if the deck is $2500, does it make sense to buy another dedicated mower in place of the deck? I would really prefer to have one machine, but if the economics are similar, and the cut quality would be much better with a dedicated mower, I would appreciate any guidance possible.

I don't own a 1 series so can't offer much advise to a lot of your questions but I do have experience in one area. I to liked the ideal of one machine to do everything including the mowing but it didn't really make me happy so I ended up buying another mower. You will manage just fine but if cut quality is high on your list, a z-turn sure is hard to beat. I personally would spend the money that a mmm would cost for the tractor towards a z-turn or lawn tractor. The cut quality will be nicer, a z-turn will make quicker work cutting 1.5 acres, and if mowing around all those newly planted trees the z-turn will make you happier in ways no tractor will.

I had mmm on previous tractors but for the current tractor I purchased a mower for the 3 point to try something different. For me it was a massive improvement over the mmm not to mention cheaper. I was able to back it under tree limbs, back it into areas that a tractor didn't maneuver well in, and felt I could treat it a little rougher than a mmm. Although I was happier with the rear finish mower than the mmm, I still returned to a z-turn.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi runto100
Cannot speak to price I live in the wrong country. But as far as finish goes you will never get a football field finish unless your yard is as flat as a football field. It is more to do with width of cut than anything the wider the cut the worse the job on uneven ground unless you use a gang mower that conforms to the shape of the ground or a smaller deck. The 1025R is a compromise in it's FEL, BH and MMM. Don't get me wrong,there is no tractor available with FEL, BH and MMM that is not a compromise, if the FEL and BH work well the tractor will be too big and heavy to be a good mower and conversely if the tractor is a good mower it will be too small and light to be the best FEL and BH combination.:banghead:
I have a 1025R with FEL, BH and 54D MMM which I love, I consider it the best toy I have ever invested in, it is 2 years old and has 400 hrs on it.:good2: But I also have a JD Z235 (42" deck), for close in around the house where I want a neater job. I use the 1025R for mowing where the big areas where I am less particular.
Regards John

·
Premium Member
14,923 Posts
Stay with the 54" deck on the 1025r and don't look back, you will be pleased .:bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi everyone,

Have been lurking on the forum for awhile doing research, and am looking to make a purchase at the end of next week.

Have been to the dealer, and have decided that the 1025R is at the top of my list. We are finishing building our house on a 5 acre lot. 1.5 acres of lawn, remainder is currently treed. I will be planting about 80-100 trees along one side of our property, in addition to building a berm, doing some clearing work, planting a 1/3-1/2 acre garden and a number of other projects that the TLB combo will be great for.

Have a couple of questions:

Is a 2016 model the only option, or should I be looking for a 2017?

Final question is looking for validation on price. Quote out the door with tax and delivery from my local dealer is $24,945 including tax.

I've attached the quote.

View attachment 300065

Thank you!

I think apples to apples you're about $800 less in price to my 2016 deal, but I got the 60" MMM and my package included a rear work light and a JD quick hitch. I use my 60" MMM on the part of the property that I mow every couple of weeks (about 2.5 acres) and use my Craftsman to mow the 'real grass' (from sod) directly around the house (about .5 acres). The rest of my property is wooded.

I don't think there were any changes to the 2017 1025R (from reading this forum, no first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I posted this in another thread of our dealer's ad here in south jersey.
Use it as a bargaining chip or bring a trailer up and get your deck included in your base price.:good2:

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 5.46.44 AM.png

·
Registered
471 Posts
Out in the Rockies a new TLB can be had for under $20k (pretax no MMM) all day long which is about what I paid for mine and they delivered it to my house.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here are some pictures of the cut quality of the 54 on a 1025r. This is after following the deck instructions from here :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Do you owners mow with the loader and BH on,, or removed? :dunno:

The combo seems to be too heavy,, unless you are only mowing a 1/2 acre, or less,,,

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Out in the Rockies a new TLB can be had for under $20k (pretax no MMM) all day long which is about what I paid for mine and they delivered it to my house.
Same in Old Dominion :gizmo:

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do you owners mow with the loader and BH on,, or removed? :dunno:

The combo seems to be too heavy,, unless you are only mowing a 1/2 acre, or less,,,
Nothing on, but if you have some steep hills some weight to make it more secure on climbing up and down. I'd imagine a 1/2 or less would be tight moving around with all of that extra length unless it's a open half. I'm at a about an acre I maintain and if I'm in a rush will just drop the bucket. I don't have the BH so can't speak to that. My parents have the same but a steep incline on the side yard that gives a me a pucker factor going up I try to only do that by push mower... one of these days I'll measure it and take pictures.
In addition you don't want a fully loaded 1025r riding around back and fourth on your lawn (I think it would be close to 2,000 lbs maybe?)... compaction = bad things for your grass.

Reactions: OxPath

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got a good deal from VA Tractor in C'ville in '12. I don't remember the price details now, and it was a trade with implements going both ways so the numbers were a bit wierd. If you want to know how the numbers are stacking up then I would check around (James River over in the Valley, places up in PA) and drive a couple hours if needed/wanted.

You don't want the weight of the backhoe on when mowing, and it's easy to remove. I always take off the loader too, since it's also just a couple minute operation. I can dump both in under 10min and do so when mowing. I have the 60D MMM and would recommend it, wider means less times around the field. I don't have pics of the cut but it's about as nice as when the lawn service comes. I'm running R4 tires and have them all filled and I will leave ruts if I mow wet/soft ground. But as long as the ground has firmed up and I take it out of 4WD then I don't have any issues there.

All that said... If I had it to do over again I would not get the MMM and I would get a 3k mower instead. I started from the perspective of "less engines to maintain", but now I'm thinking differently. I would prefer to be able to mow whenever I need to without the change up. 10 minutes to dump the implements and then 10 more minutes to drag out the mower and hook up is 40min total I wouldn't have to spend that day. I would also actually like to have two vehicles, I would drag around a cart behind the mower for moving dirt/rocks and dumping spoils from the backhoe. Also others in the family would mow if it was just start and go, not so much when it's 6 hoses, dropped implements and dragging >100lb mower decks across the concrete.

This is nothing against the 1026R when mowing. It's pretty fast, mows cleanly, and does side slopes really well (loaded tires, implements off, 1.5" spacers)... Just saying what I wish I had now. I guess the grass truly is always greener... *grin*

·
Registered
143 Posts
Viper21, Old Dominion as in Virginia? If so, that's where I'm located. Do you have a dealer recommendation. Closest to me is New Virginia Tractor.

Thanks!
Yeah man. I'm in Rockbridge County. I bought mine @ James River Equipment in Fishersville. It's the closest Green dealer to me, & I'm pretty happy with them so far.

·
Registered
126 Posts
don't have a 1026 but HAD an 855 with belly mower and backhoe. Had to remove hoe to install belly mower due to undercarriage mounting of hoe. Figured you probably have same issue on 1026.... congratulations on new toy....... nice to have more than ONE in the toy box.

·
Registered
160 Posts
don't have a 1026 but HAD an 855 with belly mower and backhoe. Had to remove hoe to install belly mower due to undercarriage mounting of hoe. Figured you probably have same issue on 1026.... congratulations on new toy....... nice to have more than ONE in the toy box.
Nope, you can run all three but that would be heavy (and top heavy) mower. =)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Nothing on, but if you have some steep hills some weight to make it more secure on climbing up and down....
If you have hills, even more reason to NOT have anything else attached to the tractor. Both the FEL and backhoe serve to raise the center of gravity of the tractor, making it less stable on slopes. The mower deck is about 250lbs -slung low in the best possible place for increasing stability. Fluid filled tires and wheel weights also will improve stability, as will rear wheel spacers.

Always use four wheel drive when negotiating slopes - especially when going down hill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts