Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All--

So, the wife and I recently bought (earlier this summer) a brand new 1025R with 60" mid mower, H120 FEL, and the 54" front mount snowblower.

We've been using it for a few months and love it. One problem we have is with the ROP bars extended the tractor doesn't fit into the shed door. Not really a big deal since you only need the ROP bars for the most part when using the FEL but near our septic we do have a steep incline so we tend to use the ROP bars and seat belt when mowing that area.

I knew it might happen someday. I forgot the ROP bars up while entering the shed. I was tired, it had been a long day starting at 7 AM of digging a trench, laying conduit from house to shed, fishing the 6 gauge wire (not fun), and finally backfilling. I FORGOT the ROPS! Luckily when the ROP and shed collided I knew exactly what had happened and reversed. I was in high gear but low RPM's with FEL attached and not much clearance with FEL with doors so luckily going slow and no damage to shed or tractor.

Anyway, anybody in a similar situation? If so, have you come up with a solution like an alert system?

I looked at the "off the shelf" garage parking solutions but nothing seemed to fit.

I than considered using a microcontroller / arduino that I would strap to the ROP bars with a proximity sensor (ultrasonic) and maybe a loud buzzer but the only ones up to the task (weather proof -- car bumper type ultrasound) are $100 / piece. A little to expensive for an expirement.

Has anybody tackled a similar problem? Any ideas I haven't thought of? Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Non electronic warning

There used to be bridges near a paper mill in our area that had I beams across the road at the same height as the bridge superstructure. Log trucks would hit those before getting to the bridge. Maybe you could have something in front of the shed as a gauge. Either that or just make a bigger door and opening on the shed.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, I knew this couldn't be a new problem. I see confessions but not too many solutions. I would really like an early warning system. I think some sort of proximity buzzer would work great since we never drive into the shed at high RPM's so we should hear it. I would need 2 sensors though (front & back) since I drive forward into shed in summer and back into shed with snowblower in winter. I'm not too worried with snowblower attached since I can't have mower deck or FEL attached with front facing snowblower.

I'm still reading over that ROP foobar link, funny stuff! Glad I'm not alone and glad it took me almost 3 months to make that foobar. lol

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
I took me 2 and a half years before I finally ran into my garage door. As dad used to say "Pewp happens!"

Not sure on the proximity sensor thing. I think everyone's situation is a bit unique.

You ran into your shed going into the shed. I ran into my garage door coming out of the garage. Plus, my ROPS usually has no problem clearing the garage door. I only have issues if I don't use the automatic garage door opener. Lots of variables to consider...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed, I have a very subtle ramp going into the shed. My thought is to find an outdoor unltrasonic sensor I can hook up to an arduino programmed to set off a buzzer when the ROPS are within 5ft of an obstacle. I figure if the ROPS are folded than the sensor is facing the sky so it shouldn't see any obstacles. But you bring up a good point, in an enclosure with the ROPS folded it might still alarm on the ceiling of the enclosure. Maybe an orientation sensor could be use to ignore the proximity sensor when the ROPS are horizontal. I'm interested in bench building a prototype project box that I can than maybe attach to the ROP bars and finally find a 5v (when started) wire to tap into.

·
Administrator
20,884 Posts
When I roll my tractor out of the garage, something like a cone gets set back in its parking spot. This is when the ROPS goes up. When it's time to "go to bed", the cone/box/whatever is blocking me forcing me to get off and remember to fold the ROPS.

Simple, easy, and cheap. :good2:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Just hit the top of the shed entrance a couple of times and then you will remember from now on. Took me twice with my enclosed trailer...

You just need to get a routine like Diesel Shadow does with the cone. If you never very from the routine for shutting down then you are good. Rather than go to the expense of a sensor or something, maybe you can laminate a small checklist and have it hang off the steering column. When you get done for the day just read it before you enter the shed. You could also post a warning sign on the entrance to your shed. You can get posters/signs made at Staples or Office Max.

It's a common problem to work thru. After a few times you start to remember things to do to avoid damage or feeling stupid. I only use my ROPS when I go to my property. I just make it a habit now when I load the tractor back on my trailer the ROPS goes down. Same thing when I take it off at the property, if it comes off the trailer the ROPS goes up. Life is good. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Just hit the top of the shed entrance a couple of times and then you will remember from now on. Took me twice with my enclosed trailer...

You just need to get a routine like Diesel Shadow does with the cone. If you never very from the routine for shutting down then you are good. Rather than go to the expense of a sensor or something, maybe you can laminate a small checklist and have it hang off the steering column. When you get done for the day just read it before you enter the shed. You could also post a warning sign on the entrance to your shed. You can get posters/signs made at Staples or Office Max.

It's a common problem to work thru. After a few times you start to remember things to do to avoid damage or feeling stupid. I only use my ROPS when I go to my property. I just make it a habit now when I load the tractor back on my trailer the ROPS goes down. Same thing when I take it off at the property, if it comes off the trailer the ROPS goes up. Life is good. :cheers:
I was thinking about something similar. How about an old time window shade or roll up map like back in school. The round spring loaded roll up kind. Mount it right over the shed or garage door opening. Write some kind of reminder phrase on it. Then put it up & down along with the roll bar as stated above. This would cost way less than any electronic device.

I think the key is making yourself get off of the tractor.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,819 Posts
When I roll my tractor out of the garage, something like a cone gets set back in its parking spot. This is when the ROPS goes up. When it's time to "go to bed", the cone/box/whatever is blocking me forcing me to get off and remember to fold the ROPS.

Simple, easy, and cheap. :good2:
:thumbup1gif:
Even better, have a cone in the bucket, as you back out dump the cone. You'll need to stop to put the cone back in the bucket before pulling in.
Boy, we're just smart fellas. :lol:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello All--

So, the wife and I recently bought (earlier this summer) a brand new 1025R with 60" mid mower, H120 FEL, and the 54" front mount snowblower.

We've been using it for a few months and love it. One problem we have is with the ROP bars extended the tractor doesn't fit into the shed door. Not really a big deal since you only need the ROP bars for the most part when using the FEL but near our septic we do have a steep incline so we tend to use the ROP bars and seat belt when mowing that area.

I knew it might happen someday. I forgot the ROP bars up while entering the shed. I was tired, it had been a long day starting at 7 AM of digging a trench, laying conduit from house to shed, fishing the 6 gauge wire (not fun), and finally backfilling. I FORGOT the ROPS! Luckily when the ROP and shed collided I knew exactly what had happened and reversed. I was in high gear but low RPM's with FEL attached and not much clearance with FEL with doors so luckily going slow and no damage to shed or tractor.

Anyway, anybody in a similar situation? If so, have you come up with a solution like an alert system?

I looked at the "off the shelf" garage parking solutions but nothing seemed to fit.

I than considered using a microcontroller / arduino that I would strap to the ROP bars with a proximity sensor (ultrasonic) and maybe a loud buzzer but the only ones up to the task (weather proof -- car bumper type ultrasound) are $100 / piece. A little to expensive for an expirement.

Has anybody tackled a similar problem? Any ideas I haven't thought of? Any feedback is appreciated!
I have done this a few times. Fortunately it only about a 1/4 inch that hits the gutter on my garage. I was thinking of putting a sign up saying something like "CHECK THE ROPS". Another option is one that I used to be sure the truck cleared the garage door was a tennis ball on a string. So that when the ball touched the windsheild I knwe I was in the garage just right.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
:lolol:
Not the same but a similar situation happened to me Saturday. I have a lean to that I park my tractor under when the shop is overwhelmed with projects. In that open shed type environment I have hung a bumble bee trap. It is a wooden contraption with a 1 liter bottle threaded into the bottom. I can get past it easy enough if I remember it by helping it over the ROPS as I back out. Well Saturday when I backed out I forget it. When I backed out the ROPS held it back until it toppled over the top and hit me square in the back of the head. LOL Luckily there isn't anything up there that could be hurt....

Anyway I think I'll remember it the next few times.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I then considered using a microcontroller / arduino that I would strap to the ROP bars with a proximity sensor (ultrasonic) and maybe a loud buzzer but the only ones up to the task (weather proof -- car bumper type ultrasound) are $100 / piece. A little to expensive for an experiment.
Oh, a few of us....

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/off-topic/9488-admit-who-here-has-driven-shed-roll-over-protection-structure-up.html

Welcome to the club! :laugh:

I haven't seen mention of a good + cheap solution yet.
Holy cow man. I read that thread while sitting in bed last night. My wife is like, "what the heck is so funny....?" because I was sitting there giggling and bursting out into laughter. How you guys can be so jovial about some of the major damages, concussions and near death experiences it something else.... :laugh:

I am fortunate enough to have a high (9') garage door. But I did learn from reading that thread. I know I'm going to try to be more aware of the ROPS. I did come to a conclusion though. If I was in your spot, where a ROPS impact was possible, I'd be looking for a solution. You said $100 is a bit much for an experiment, I'm thinking $100 is a drop in the bucket compared to the damage or injury that you're flirting with.

Check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-9401T-Parking-Sensor/dp/B000FIH7QC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478534435&sr=8-1&keywords=9401t

Full Disclosure: I work for the company that makes this product. I stand to gain nothing from you or anyone else buying one. I recommend it because I have experience selling and supporting them and our customers (car audio shops and retailers) are really pleased with their reliability and performance. (I've attached the installation manual for your review)

That's a 4 sensor system for <$75. I'd place two sensors facing forward on the top of the ROPS, two facing backwards to protect you coming and going. This is a definite variation on the intended application, but I am confident it will work well. The only question is if it will provide enough warning. Against a large reflective surface like a house or garage door, I would expect 10' or so of warning. Is that going to be enough? Depends on how fast you're going.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Holy cow man. I read that thread while sitting in bed last night. My wife is like, "what the heck is so funny....?" because I was sitting there giggling and bursting out into laughter. How you guys can be so jovial about some of the major damages, concussions and near death experiences it something else.... :laugh:
Well..... you can laugh or you can cry. :laugh: Luckily, most of us haven't gotten hurt. Just minor bruises to the ego!

I am fortunate enough to have a high (9') garage door. But I did learn from reading that thread. I know I'm going to try to be more aware of the ROPS. I did come to a conclusion though. If I was in your spot, where a ROPS impact was possible, I'd be looking for a solution. You said $100 is a bit much for an experiment, I'm thinking $100 is a drop in the bucket compared to the damage or injury that you're flirting with.

Check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-9401T-Parking-Sensor/dp/B000FIH7QC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478534435&sr=8-1&keywords=9401t

Full Disclosure: I work for the company that makes this product. I stand to gain nothing from you or anyone else buying one. I recommend it because I have experience selling and supporting them and our customers (car audio shops and retailers) are really pleased with their reliability and performance. (I've attached the installation manual for your review)

That's a 4 sensor system for <$75. I'd place two sensors facing forward on the top of the ROPS, two facing backwards to protect you coming and going. This is a definite variation on the intended application, but I am confident it will work well. The only question is if it will provide enough warning. Against a large reflective surface like a house or garage door, I would expect 10' or so of warning. Is that going to be enough? Depends on how fast you're going.
Interesting! Not sure it would work in my instance but I'd think it would work for a lot of people.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Best solution

Do what I did - build a 40x50 barn with 10' and 12' high doors. Now you have a place for the tractor and all the implements and you'll never hit the top of the door. Just watch out for the fenders when going in and out. :laugh:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a neighbor with a high ROPS tractor (not a Deere) and he put a swinging doggy door above his shed doors. The shed doors are vertical (not a garage door) so he just opens the doors and drives in. The top door is like a flap that swigs either way. I think he can latch it to the door when closed.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Now that you have ideas for the door, what are you going to do for your head when the ROPs are at 90°? That was the problem I had. Don't even know how many times I hit my head on it. I can tell you this, a hat doesn't soften the impact and it hurts! :banghead: :laugh:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Now that you have ideas for the door, what are you going to do for your head when the ROPs are at 90°? That was the problem I had. Don't even know how many times I hit my head on it. I can tell you this, a hat doesn't soften the impact and it hurts! :banghead: :laugh:
I know I saw stars when I did this. It hurt so bad I couldn't even cuss:laugh: And after replacing the trim around my garage door after hitting it twice, I will be trying the cone trick as a reminder:good2:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Too much roll bar

Yep, first thing I thought of was the roll bar too high. Also, I have a backhoe which also crashes into the folded roll bar every now and then. Took off the top of the roll bar at the lights. Also replaced the stupid blacked out lens with amber lens (19 bucks). No more problems. You have to understand that all of these safety/lock out/engine interruption additions by JD were due to some imbecile injuring or killing himself or others due to his/her dumb mistake, and then blaming the manufacturer. And some equally stupid jury agreeing with the imbecile. As a result we all pay more now for the same machine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts