Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last year I made the wall of shame when I ran the ROPS into the garage. Well I can't say I'm proud of it but I did it again. I got in a hurry to go out and play and didn't put my orange cone of shame in front of the doorway. So between the two hits I've got a fair amount of money to fix my garage. So after my latest fix I called my local dealer for P/N LVA18169 which is the only way to buy a ROPS (Complete assembly) I figured for $448.51 it was cheaper to buy and modify one and have a "legal" one if I decide to sell. I was told it was not available? I said that sounded strange as they still sell 1025R's as fast as ever. So by the third call to my original dealer (45 miles away) the parts person said they were not in stock, but he would check every week and call me when one became available and talk to the JD Rep when he comes in. Interesting that two just stated they were not available and good by and good luck, to I'll do my best for you as a customer. Its 35 miles further from the local dealer and I can see why I went there in the beginning

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Are you able to buy just the top section?? That's what I was gong to do, then shorten it. Nothing's ever easy. Good luck

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yea that part number is a good number and you have to get the whole ROPS. It is currently unavailable but the best your dealer can do i a DTAC case and try to get it ordered that way. If he really wants to help you out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
my guess it the ROPS doesn't fail too often so they don't keep a stock on hand for replacement...
And in addition, the ones being made are going on new machines.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I agree!! A ROPS is not a commonly sold part. Also, manufacturers do not sell the components that are going on new tractors and parts for dealer stock or distribution out of the same stock. In fact, many mfgs. us a third party company to handle their parts distribution.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Registered
452 Posts
This situation is exactly what I was trying to convey in the other thread that addressed shortening the ROPS, and why I went in the direction of attempting to fab up a new top section. Cutting/shortening the OEM ROPS top section was out of the picture for me once I found that my dealer wouldn't trade my machine back in, should I ever decide to do that, with a modified ROPS.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well last year I made the wall of shame when I ran the ROPS into the garage. Well I can't say I'm proud of it but I did it again. I got in a hurry to go out and play and didn't put my orange cone of shame in front of the doorway. So between the two hits I've got a fair amount of money to fix my garage. So after my latest fix I called my local dealer for P/N LVA18169 which is the only way to buy a ROPS (Complete assembly) I figured for $448.51 it was cheaper to buy and modify one and have a "legal" one if I decide to sell. I was told it was not available? I said that sounded strange as they still sell 1025R's as fast as ever. So by the third call to my original dealer (45 miles away) the parts person said they were not in stock, but he would check every week and call me when one became available and talk to the JD Rep when he comes in. Interesting that two just stated they were not available and good by and good luck, to I'll do my best for you as a customer. Its 35 miles further from the local dealer and I can see why I went there in the beginning
Why not have a small one made, just squared up. Might even be cheaper.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Still waiting on delivery of my 1025R, but am thinking of trying to incorporate one of these proximity switches into the ROPS when i get my tractor.

MB1424 USB-ProxSonar-EZ2 Ultrasonic USB Proximity Sensor

maybe I can rig up an alarm that will sound when I get within 3 feet of the garage door header with the ROPS......This seems to be an all to often occurance and i'm only imagining it won't be long before I do the same thing.......

·
Registered
135 Posts
Still waiting on delivery of my 1025R, but am thinking of trying to incorporate one of these proximity switches into the ROPS when i get my tractor.

MB1424 USB-ProxSonar-EZ2 Ultrasonic USB Proximity Sensor

maybe I can rig up an alarm that will sound when I get within 3 feet of the garage door header with the ROPS......This seems to be an all to often occurance and i'm only imagining it won't be long before I do the same thing.......
Have a look at this thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/86249-rop-bar-warning-system.html

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
http://femcomfg.com/roll-over-protection

I bought a folding ROPS from these people for my 2210 since it didn't come with a folding ROP. Not sure if they sell one for a 1 series but you can call and ask. They were pretty responsive when I dealt with them a few years ago.

I still have my fixed ROPS and am willing to part with it if you want some thing cheap to modify. Send me a PM if you are interested. I am not sure where you are located.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the offer 69project, but the freight costs eats up any savings going to Michigan.

I found a 1025R ROPS in the East Coast, but between the cost and shipping it burned up almost $900 bucks. I'll wait and pick one up locally when it becomes available. I'm talso alking with a buddy of mine who might be able to sneak in some steel sheets and water jet cut me the parts I want and weld up a piece. I really want it to be a unpinned the stock JD upper and resinstall with a custom shortened upper.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I agree!! A ROPS is not a commonly sold part. Also, manufacturers do not sell the components that are going on new tractors and parts for dealer stock or distribution out of the same stock. In fact, many mfgs. us a third party company to handle their parts distribution.
I agree that a ROPS is not a high volume service part. But the rest of your post I disagree with. When I was with International Harvester the plants had service part responsibility on new production parts and parts that used special machines, fixtures, and processes. Only out of production machines had service parts sourced by the parts group. The plants could even bid on them as opposed to selling them at standard costs.

I've worked in purchasing at International Harvester, The Thermos Company, Giddings & Lewis Machine Tools, Pentair Water Fleck Controls, making water softener timer control valves, and EVERY One of those places shipped repair parts out of the same stock of parts new production was made from. And believe me, Service parts took priority over production!

Let me put it this way, Companies should supply service parts ANY WAY OTHER Than what way Ford Motor does. I drove a 9 month old 1988 Mustang GT hatchback for three months, December '88, January & February '89 with visqueen duct taped over the broken left side back window because Ford didn't have ANY good fenders in their parts system to ship, yet they were building a 1000 new cars per day! I'm now waiting for a front passenger door stainless lower window trim piece for my 2015 Edge. The first three sent to my dealer were twisted. Ford is the poster child of How Not to supply service/repair parts to your loyal customers! My first 2015 Edge was bought back by Ford. It had a massive water leak on the drivers side front firewall. It was repaired twice and still leaked. There were over 4000 Edges built from January 2015 to April 2015 with these bad leaks, Ford had Edges sitting from coast to coast waiting on repair parts! " Gee, we've built cars for 113 years, but we built 4200 cars that leak water and would fail the spray test if we did one, so let's let our interior component suppliers take their stinking sweet time and tick off 4000 people so the NEVER by another Ford product!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I agree that a ROPS is not a high volume service part. But the rest of your post I disagree with. When I was with International Harvester the plants had service part responsibility on new production parts and parts that used special machines, fixtures, and processes. Only out of production machines had service parts sourced by the parts group. The plants could even bid on them as opposed to selling them at standard costs.

I've worked in purchasing at International Harvester, The Thermos Company, Giddings & Lewis Machine Tools, Pentair Water Fleck Controls, making water softener timer control valves, and EVERY One of those places shipped repair parts out of the same stock of parts new production was made from. And believe me, Service parts took priority over production!

Let me put it this way, Companies should supply service parts ANY WAY OTHER Than what way Ford Motor does. I drove a 9 month old 1988 Mustang GT hatchback for three months, December '88, January & February '89 with visqueen duct taped over the broken left side back window because Ford didn't have ANY good fenders in their parts system to ship, yet they were building a 1000 new cars per day! I'm now waiting for a front passenger door stainless lower window trim piece for my 2015 Edge. The first three sent to my dealer were twisted. Ford is the poster child of How Not to supply service/repair parts to your loyal customers! My first 2015 Edge was bought back by Ford. It had a massive water leak on the drivers side front firewall. It was repaired twice and still leaked. There were over 4000 Edges built from January 2015 to April 2015 with these bad leaks, Ford had Edges sitting from coast to coast waiting on repair parts! " Gee, we've built cars for 113 years, but we built 4200 cars that leak water and would fail the spray test if we did one, so let's let our interior component suppliers take their stinking sweet time and tick off 4000 people so the NEVER by another Ford product!
Your point is a valid one. There are manufacturers that handle their own parts distribution, although, the trend is moving towards Logistics Company's handling this process for Mfg., especially larger manufacturers. I should have said, many manufacturers do not distribute their dealer supplied parts from the same stock as the manufacturing plant.
Using JD as an example, the 1025R is manufactured at the JD mfg. plant in Augusta, GA. JD parts distribution is handled from their parts distribution center in Milan, IL.
There are logistics companies all across this country that just handle distribution for all types of larger manufactures. An example of this is Neovia Logistics. This is a large distribution company that was started by CAT and is still partially owned by CAT. They distribute parts for car manufactures, CAT parts, crane manufactures, technology companies, etc.
3PL & Supply Chain Management | Neovia Logistics
http://www.neovialogistics.com/news-and-events/press-releases/caterpillar-logistics-services-becomes-neovia-logistics-services.aspx

Reactions: Drifterbike
1 - 16 of 16 Posts