Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the top half of my ROPS so I can add some things and easier for me to work on ground (paraplegic), but the pins appear to be pressed in.

Does any have a homemade devise for removing them?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Use a flat punch and drive them out. Be careful not to mushroom end. Make sure you have the rops secure so it doesn't fall when you drive them out. An extra set of strong hands would help!!!

Reactions: Levi and Tomfive

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks.

I tried that but these things a really tight, and I did not want mess up the ROPS but banging on it that hard, but thinking about it I'm sure it tougher than I think.

Also, the pins have horizontal grooves in them, I assume that is so they will not rotate, wonder why they didn't want that to happen?

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Make sure you have removed the snap rings and good solid pop with a hammer and the pins should come right out.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
If you've removed the snap-rings and they still won't budge, perhaps you can borrow a control arm bushing press from one of the local auto parts stores. Most will let you borrow for free. Something like this should gently press the pin right out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
You didn't say what model/year your tractor was. Assuming you have the newer style forward-canted ROPS, below is the parts illustration showing the snap ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crap!!

JD 1023E 2016, ROPS that leans to the rear.

Former aircraft mechanic (A37B, A10A, KC10 and KC135R), but let a tree fall on me 18 years ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you've removed the snap-rings and they still won't budge, perhaps you can borrow a control arm bushing press from one of the local auto parts stores. Most will let you borrow for free. Something like this should gently press the pin right out.

That what I need right there.

I called AutoZone yesterday but used wrong terminology so they couldn't understand what I needed, and if they still don't I have a picture...

Tried using a 6" C-clamp, and a larger socket (free space for pin to move into) but it started spreading apart so stopped before I broke...

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
Crap!!

JD 1023E 2016, ROPS that leans to the rear.

Former aircraft mechanic (A37B, A10A, KC10 and KC135R), but let a tree fall on me 18 years ago.
Thanks. Those still have the same snap ring.

You've obviously turned a wrench or two. :)

·
Premium Member
12,697 Posts
Tried using a 6" C-clamp, and a larger socket (free space for pin to move into) but it started spreading apart so stopped before I broke...
Wow! That baby must really be lodged in there!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Those still have the same snap ring.

You've obviously turned a wrench or two. :)
Yes on the wrench or two, but never had to use a "control arm bushing press", so couldn't think of what to call it except a pin pusher. Always told my mx students knowing the correct terminology goes a long way in making sure you do things right!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
As others have stated, remove the snap ring, then a few good raps with your hammer should do it. That worked for me when I took mine off. Had no damage to the pins.

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
They have a serrated press fit under the head. I typically utilize a 2 pound mallet to remove them. A ball peen hammer won't get the job done.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I used a three legged gear puller to push the pins out. worked like a charm

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
The tool, in the previous photo, looks like a king pin bushing press to me. Maybe try that terminology.

·
Administrator
18,287 Posts
The tool, in the previous photo, looks like a king pin bushing press to me. Maybe try terminology.
Also known as a C-Frame press.

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the same issue you do in that mine won't budge. I've tried a 4lb dead blow and a 4lb mini sledge with no luck but it's scary seeing how far that ROPS moves out when hit. I didn't have the courage to try a 10lb sledge or the air hammer, but a C frame press sounds like a good idea. Hopefully you have luck getting yours off, if you do I'll be doing the same.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Use a flat punch and drive them out. Be careful not to mushroom end. Make sure you have the rops secure so it doesn't fall when you drive them out. An extra set of strong hands would help!!!
OOPS..... Forgot to instruct to remove "C" clips... my bad

Mine did come out using heavy hammer. Just made sure to give it a good swift hit!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts