Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size rotary cutter works best on a 2038R? Would be used to clear and maintain trails in Forest. Cutting sapplings up to 2" in diameter.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I would run a 60”, want to be able to cut outside of rear wheels some.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If you're running wheel spacers 60" will barely be outside the rears. Maybe an inch. But I would still run a 60" so at least you know if the tractor fits down the trail...so will the cutter. I have been wanting a bush hog for some time. Still haven't come across one I like.

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
What size rotary cutter works best on a 2038R? Would be used to clear and maintain trails in Forest. Cutting sapplings up to 2" in diameter.
I agree a 60" would probably work best in the woods, though you easily have enough HP to run a 72". What you'll need to look at are good rugged cutters for handling 2".

·
Registered
171 Posts
I picked up a 60" for my 3033R and the biggest reason is I used the neighbors 72" and the weight difference is unbelievable. Both King Kutter's 40HP gearbox with shear pin. Only difference is the 12"s. I

know it hangs out farther but as dumb as it sounds if feels like you have double the weight.

I also like the same width as the tractor aspect. I have a lot of rocks and we put the 60" EA grapple down and if I catch a rock I can get it out of the way before I completely destroy the brush hog.

I actually bought a used one for $500 and will upgrade when I get all my rocks picked, if I'm not dead yet.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
I also like the same width as the tractor aspect. I have a lot of rocks and we put the 60" EA grapple down and if I catch a rock I can get it out of the way before I completely destroy the brush hog.
That is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I run a RC2072 on my 2038R. I have open fields that are flat. It works fine for that, but if I was doing woods and trails, definitely a 60 inch. 72 inch cutter would be too large for that tractor on uneven and rough ground.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I run a RC2072 on my 2038R. I have open fields that are flat. It works fine for that, but if I was doing woods and trails, definitely a 60 inch. 72 inch cutter would be too large for that tractor on uneven and rough ground.
I have a 72” for my 2038r. Haven’t even tried it yet.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
I have a 72” for my 2038r. Haven’t even tried it yet.
After running the 10' flexwing a 72" would seem less exciting. :flag_of_truce: I'd still like to see that tractor run that flexwing in some good thick fields.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for everyone's input. There is a very good deal on Craigslist near me for a 72". Sounds like 60" is the ideal size though. Do you think the fact that the land I would be using it on is pretty level would allow the use of the 72"?

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. There is a very good deal on Craigslist near me for a 72". Sounds like 60" is the ideal size though. Do you think the fact that the land I would be using it on is pretty level would allow the use of the 72"?
My only thought on the 60” being a better choice was for maneuvering in the woods. If you don’t see that as a potential problem then if it were me I’d get the 72”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
60" works great behind my 2032r. Borrowed my neighbors a few times. Saw this guy on YouTube talk about what looks to be a 72" behind his 2038r and he mentioned lift height issue and without the loader on steering issues.(Front ballast needed).

2017 2038R vs bush hog round 1 - YouTube

Take it for what it's worth. Just one man's opinion. Either way let us know after you choose how it works out and pictures!

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Is this what you have in mind when you say "maintaining" forest?

·
Premium Member
7,959 Posts
Good deal? Take a wrench and check the oil in the gear box. Last good deal I got turned out to not be so good. :unknown:

I use a 5 footer behind my 3039R. Most of the use is in the woods / trails.

A 6 footer is some weight and those that have used both say the 6 seems noticeably heavier.

I drop the grapple or bucket and just the loader frame is enough when I need to get into tight spaces.

How flat? I wouldn't want anymore that the 5 footer behind me if had to cross much of a slope. Mowing a ditch bank, I can still feel the 5 footer. A 6 footer might be closer to the tail waging the dog than I'd like to be.

Not so much of a good deal, but I am going to replace the cutter with a flail mower as soon I find that money tree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts