Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I anguished a lot on which rotary cutter to buy with new 4044r. The three choices my dealer offered were JD MX6, Frontier RC2072 or a Bush-Whacker MD72. I ruled out the Frontier as it just looked too light to my eyes. The JD and BW are both rated for 2" material with the JD weighing 1,050 lbs and the BW weighing 1,180 lbs. the blade tip speed was 14,000 for BW vs 17,000 for JD. Cut height ranges were advertised similar. I had decided to spend the extra coin for JD but when I went to pick it up they could not find it or another. I made a haste decision to take the Bush-Whacker since I was planning to use it the next few days and I was almost going with it anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other reason I was ok with it is the company is local here to AR. After 5 or 6 hours bush hogging I knew this cutter would not work for me. I was going over knee high grass a 2nd and 3rd time and it still was not a quality cut. It was advertised to cut at 1.5 or 2". At lowest setting it was more like 5 or 6" on the grass it did cut.

TodayI went back to my dealer and expressed my disappointment. Without hesitation they let me return it and get a JD MX6 from another of their stores about 40 miles away. I cut a little grass with it this afternoon. On 3rd notch it was cutting grass at 3" as it should. Haven't ran it enough yet for total assessment but the cut quality looks better than finish mower I tested. Impressed so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Good choice.:thumbup1gif:
When buying rotary cutter or mower. The tip speed means a lot the faster the better cut. As you stated the MX6 was higher tip speed and the cut was better. The MX cutter are very heavy duty and should last you very long time with little maintenance.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
nice!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. It looks like the MX6 may set the standard for blade tip speed. This thing seems to be a great match for my use and for my tractor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anybody have any experience with the HX series of cutter. I was thinking of getting the HX 6 for my JD 4052R, but I don't know if that would be too taxing on it. My dealer, although very nice and really earned my business they don't have much experience/knowledge on the bigger/higher end tractors and attachments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
Anybody have any experience with the HX series of cutter. I was thinking of getting the HX 6 for my JD 4052R, but I don't know if that would be too taxing on it. My dealer, although very nice and really earned my business they don't have much experience/knowledge on the bigger/higher end tractors and attachments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
looks like the HX6 is a cat 2 implement, while your 4052 has a cat1 three point. the PTO power is within spec, as is the weight. is there any reason you want the HX6 over the MX6?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Unless you will be mowing commercially, I don't see a reason to buy an HX. Also, with 52hp (42 PTO) I would be looking at a 7' mower. You have plenty of power to pull it.

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please note the MX7 has a lower blade tip speed than MX6.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The HX have gearboxes that can take more hp at least in the 10 and 15 foot models. The mx and hx are called rotary cutter so as to avoid the word mower aren't they? Kind of looks like mowing in the pictures. There really isn't an edge on the cutters I see at the dealership or on my mx10. Maybe the reversible blades have more edge than the high lift ones I have. Which blades are making the cuts in the pictures here.

Not sure I see the dilemma unless it was at the begining whether to return or not. 900 or so foot pounds on the wrench to change the blades?

Why on the Deere one is the metal strap or bar not straight from near the top link back to the deck?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No more dilemma. The dealership solved it for me when they allowed me to return the Bush-Whacker and purchase the MX6 instead.

Yes, I want a brush cutter that will also mow grass nicely.

Reactions: JKR and FredHickory

·
Registered
38 Posts
looks like the HX6 is a cat 2 implement, while your 4052 has a cat1 three point. the PTO power is within spec, as is the weight. is there any reason you want the HX6 over the MX6?
I was thinking of the HX6 based upon the description, albeit brief, in the flyer I came across. From the flyer "They feature..., plus more steel and stronger bearings than the MX models." In my neck of the woods we grow rocks and bitter brush so the mower would take a beating. Plus, it has also been my experience to buy the strongest, commercial grade, heavy duty, etc. model that I can afford. Doing so allows for unforeseen delays in scheduled maintenance and or unseen debris such as a sledge hammer head in a field I was mowing that broke through the mower deck and lodged 3" into a wood fence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Dang

I was thinking of the HX6 based upon the description, albeit brief, in the flyer I came across. From the flyer "They feature..., plus more steel and stronger bearings than the MX models." In my neck of the woods we grow rocks and bitter brush so the mower would take a beating. Plus, it has also been my experience to buy the strongest, commercial grade, heavy duty, etc. model that I can afford. Doing so allows for unforeseen delays in scheduled maintenance and or unseen debris such as a sledge hammer head in a field I was mowing that broke through the mower deck and lodged 3" into a wood fence.

Yikes! Bet that got your attention. :empathy: I hate finding stuff in the grass that way.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
937 Posts

Well, sounds like you know what you're doing. If you can afford the HX go for it. The MX is a pretty tough cutter though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts