Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys -
I am going to purchase a 40" - 48" rotary cutter for my 2320. What are good, reliable brands people are running? I am looking at used ones as well as new and there are alot of different brands I have not heard of...wondering if they are junk or not. I've heard that Howse and Land Pride are unreliable as far as their rotary cutters are concerned. Woods seems to come up often whenever good, reliable cutters are mentioned (but they come at a large cost premium). Right now I am specifically wondering about King Kutter, as our local Fleet Supply store sells a 48" model for $769 brand new. Looking for any and all suggestions.
thanks
JDfun

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Go with a 48".

Woods, Landpride, Frontier, John Deere (LX series) and Bush Hog are all considered top of the line brands.

Howse, King Cutter and other "store branded" units are economy machines.

What are you going to cut? How often will you use it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you going to cut? How often will you use it?
thanks Kenny;
forgot to mention that...it will be mainly for cutting the grass on my 1 acre lot. Its mostly tall field grass with uneven terrain. Also will use it for light brush removal, which is why I am thinking rotary cutter instead of grooming/finish mower.

-jdfun

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I am pretty sure the JD LX model is rated to cut up to 1" brush. I second what Kenny recomended, go with a 48 and cover your tires with the mower! Having a little stick out on each side is nice.

I see the King Kutter rotary cutters on craigslist all day long here in good shape for $300.00..... Have you checked on there for any deals?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been checking craigslist and tractorhouse daily...the 4' models seem to be a little harder to come by. Alot of what I see on there are 5' models....and with HP estimates in the 20 PTO HP range, I think that is a little too much for my machine, as the 2320 is 18 PTO HP. Also, if I get a smaller cutter, I get to stay on my 2320 that much longer :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
I have NEVER seen a used 4' cutter on CL...and I have been looking for 4 years now. Like you said-plenty of 5'ers though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is what I choose:

0511XF RC2048 - 4 Ft. Lift-Type Rotary Cutter
1000 Driveline with Slip Clutch
2000 Front and Rear Chain Enclosure
3000 Puncture Proof Laminated Tire

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
4 ft ?, how wide is a 2320 ?, had you been you close enough I would of let you try my LX5, your 3pt wouldn't have any problem picking it up.
Welcome to DT Will:thumbup1gif:

The 2320 is only 48" wide...And it sure would pick up a LX5 but may lack the power to cut anything but grass. The "rule of thumb" is 5 HP per foot. JD also only recommends a 4' cutter for this machine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Howse, King Cutter and other "store branded" units are economy machines.
I looked at a King Kutter Professional at the local Fleet Supply store tonight, and I thought it looked like a pretty solid little unit. The side skirt was made out of 3/16" I-beam and the top of the deck was 10-12 gauge sheet steel....maybe they have weak gearboxes or blades or something? Is there something else I am missing?

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
I looked at a King Kutter Professional
I have never seen the "Professional" line-and never heard of it either. The regular KK stuff that I have seen at TSC is always faded and rusty looking at the store.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, that's it...I was looking at the 48" model; they looked like good heavy units to me, but the construction of the deck is only part of it...if they have weak drivelines I will shy away. Going to call around and get some pricing on Bush Hog, Land Pride, and Woods today...already priced a Frontier unit (RC2048....seemed a little steep at $1600).

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
They should deal on that number JDfun.... My MX6 was 1,900.... I think that started close to 2,600......

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just ended up buying an '06 Bush Hog SQ420 42" rotary cutter off of Craigslist for $575...which seemed like a pretty good deal; it had only 15 hours on it. The paint was not even worn off of the underside. Should be a pretty decent little mower for my 2320. Thanks again for the input guys
-JDfun

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
I just ended up buying an '06 Bush Hog SQ420 42" rotary cutter off of Craigslist for $575...which seemed like a pretty good deal; it had only 15 hours on it. The paint was not even worn off of the underside. Should be a pretty decent little mower for my 2320. Thanks again for the input guys
-JDfun
Sounds like you made out pretty well-enjoy your new RC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts