Green Tractor Talk banner

Rotary cutter for new Gen 2025R

19K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  BigJim55 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking at getting a bush hog for the 2025R before the steel prices go up. I have been eyeing the tractor supply (tarter) 60in cutter, as they have a rounded rear model for 999.00 (order to store). They also have another 60in that is 1300.00 in stock, not sure what the difference is.

Anyway, anyone running a 60 inch either on a 1025R or 2025R, or is a 48in the way to go?

#2 ·
I would suggest it be wider than the tractor. I run a 60 on my 2032.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832
#3 ·
I purchased a new 2018 2025R a few weeks ago. Purchased with it was a Frontier RC 2060 rotary cutter. Mowed at deer camp a couple weeks ago and was well pleased with the performance of tractor and cutter. Areas I was mowing are relatively flat and the material being cut was heavy grass and weeds 24 to 30 inches tall with an occasional small sapling or bit of brush. Did not bog down the tractor or cutter at all.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832
#8 · (Edited)
Handles the extra length and weight without a problem. Could use a bit more lift in my opinion but works okay with what it has. I am running with the FEL on as a counterbalance of course. Installed the front weight bracket today so if I should want to run without the FEL I will be able to. Might be a different story if I was cutting heavy growth that was axle tall on a Ferris wheel but have no intention of letting things get to that point. I can always slow down and take smaller width cut if need be. My RC 2060 has the slip clutch and the chain deflectors front and rear. Think I paid around $1500 for it with the tractor purchase.

#5 · (Edited)
Depending upon the material you are cutting, the 60" might be too wide. I have really worked the Frontier RC2048 mower and it has slowed down the tractor engine speed when in the very heavy and tall stuff. I have cut stuff as tall as 7', which is about the roof height of the cab.

I know that with the same engine, I wouldn't put a 5' mower behind my 1025R because of the material I have cut.

Personally, I would NOT have a rear 3 point mower that didn't have the following;

1. Slip Clutch (very important and will likely come into use at some point)

2. Front and rear safety chains to deflect material as it is cut and thrown out.

Pictures of some of the mowing

This is why you will want a slip clutch because the stuff which can hide in tall material can reall be a problem. I pushed this stuff out with the bucket as I always run with the bucket very low, with the front edge tipped as high as it will go. That way, if you encounter something like the tree in the tall weeds, the loader will find it and you can stop and push it out of the way with the tractor before hitting it with the mower or tractor or both.

Reactions: goat704! and kylew
#6 ·
I think my Frontier RC2048 with the Slip Clutch and the safety chains retailed for $1,550 and I think my buy price was actually right at $1,300........So make sure when comparing other companies products, you are comparing them to Deere's actual selling prices that your dealer should have given you, not their retail prices that few if anyone actually pays.

Reactions: goat704! and kylew
#7 ·
Just a couple months ago I picked up a used 2015 RC2048 in great condition from my dealer, who took it in on trade. Looks like it had only been used a hand full of times. Paid $1000. Doesn't have the chains like SulleyBear's, but still thought it was worth it. At least $500 less than new and does a great job. Good deals are out there if you can be patient for them to come along.

#9 ·
I run 48 behind my 1025R and typically cut down stalky / tougher weeds with mixed tall grass. It's a workout for the tractor and I wouldn't want a bigger cutter. For weight I keep the FEL on and often toss a bunch of larger rocks in to keep steering authority, plus as SullyBear mentioned run it low to knock down the overgrowth.

Like tillers and soil types, it depends on what kind of material you are cutting down. If it is more grassy a 60 might be ok. If it is too much for the tractor every now and then you can always make a partial cut pass.

Either way, watch your temps and clean the front grill and radiator screen regularly. :good2:

#13 ·
I think Rakane needs his reset button pushed ( Ctrl, alt, delete) :lolol:

Anyone else seeing his message coming across normal. All I see is random letters and numbers. Maybe another glitch with GTT:dunno:

#14 ·
I think Rakane needs his reset button pushed ( Ctrl, alt, delete) :lolol:
Anyone
else seeing his message coming across normal. All I see is random letters and numbers. Maybe another glitch with GTT:dunno:

i see it too:nunu:

#16 ·
Maybe his phone fell in the drink while running the 30' Grady White :mocking:

#17 ·
Meanwhile.................[emoji41][emoji848][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Would like to give an update to the thread, just in case anyone is interested.

I picking up a new Countyline (Tarter) 60" cutter, new, for 1K. They happened to be on sale, and I used a 10% off coupon that I got in the mail. I understand it may be of lesser quality than a frontier, or others, but for my needs I think it will work out just fine. Most of the bad reviews on the thing is gearbox issues and it really sounds like they failed to fill it with the proper gear oil as it's dry when purchased. On another note, a frontier 60" at my local dealer was around 1,700.00, so all in all I'm happy. 700 dollars less and I have a decent cutter for my needs.

Now for the handling with the 2025R. The unit weighs almost 500 pounds. In a nut shell, the tractor has absolutely no problems handling this size cutter. Lift height is decent enough for me. I had zero issues taking down extremely thick 4' material with a full pass. Barely lugged the engine. This was the one thing I was worried about, but not anymore. Tractor handles this 5ft cutter like there is no tomorrow.

thanks for all the advise!

#21 ·
Thanks for your write up, now that first cutting hay is done my FIL and I are going to start working on the old 5' Ford rotary cutter that is laying in the weeds. :thumbup1gif: It needs a little sheet metal work and we are going to make the 3 point braces float, not quick hitch compatible but that's not a problem, if the lower pins are the right width we may try an adaptor bracket for the top link.

#20 ·
I briefly ran my rc2060 on my 1025r. The tractor did fine with it, I mowed 4 ft tall brush with it under pecan trees. I was pleased with the performance hp wise but the 5 ft cutter is too long, meaning there is too much weight too far away from the hitch point.

Then we went and bought a rc2048. The 4 ft mower is much shorter and more compact than our 5ft mower, makes a huge difference handling wise on the 1025r. I ran several hours with the rc2048, ground up lots of cedars and short oak trees. Never brushhogged with a mower or tractor this small, the 1025r/rc2048 is a very well paired combination.

And don't worry about the quality of your mower, I paid $1400 in 2016 for my rc2060 new, it isn't built heavy enough for my needs. The rear skirting is bent and coming apart. I am pretty abusive but expected a better mower than this. Maybe I will try a Woods next time.

#22 ·
I briefly ran my rc2060 on my 1025r. The tractor did fine with it, I mowed 4 ft tall brush with it under pecan trees. I was pleased with the performance hp wise but the 5 ft cutter is too long, meaning there is too much weight too far away from the hitch point.
Interesting. I ended up running with the FEL and bucket attached for counter balance and knocking the growth down. I found no issues with to much weight far out from the machine. As a matter of fact you couldn't even tell you had the thing attached. But yes, I was wondering how that much weight hanging from the rear at that distance would affect the tractor. I am very pleased!

I am wondering if this contributes to the larger/longer build of the 2025R vs. the 1025R. I'd love to hook this thing up to a 1025R and try it!

And don't worry about the quality of your mower, I paid $1400 in 2016 for my rc2060 new, it isn't built heavy enough for my needs. The rear skirting is bent and coming apart. I am pretty abusive but expected a better mower than this. Maybe I will try a Woods next time.
That's pretty much my thought as well. At least for the money I paid it is new and I'm not getting somebody's nightmare they are trying to unload... besides, it's one of those implements that is designed to destroy itself!

Reactions: PJR832
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.