Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a rotary cutter for the 1026R. Deere only reccommends the 4ft model (frontier rc1048).
I think I might like to have a 5ft version. Does anyone have any concerns that the 1026 might not be able to handle a 5ft one?

I have looked at Frontier, Priefert, King Kutter and County Line at my local dealers. Any reccomendations on one brand over the other?

Slip clutch or shear pin?

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
I would not use a 5' RC on your tractor. General rule of thumb is about 5HP needed per foot of cutter, plus the 5" cutters weigh a lot more.

Reactions: TheSilverFox

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Even at 4' that cutter will be all the 1026r is going to want to handle, definitely won't handily a 5' very well if at all. I'd be checking out the Frontier first, but any will work fine.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
I would not use a 5' RC on your tractor. General rule of thumb is about 5HP needed per foot of cutter, plus the 5" cutters weigh a lot more.
Way back when I always read 3HP per ft. But I am here to say that is BS, especially for mowing attachments, I found out the hard way. More like 5HP per ft IMO. Good post.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I wouldnt go bigger than 4'. I have a 4' KK pro. The 1026 has the power to run it, but even with 7 42lb weights on the front the front end is a tad light. I if I had to do over I would get a fail mower.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
I wouldnt go bigger than 4'. I have a 4' KK pro. The 1026 has the power to run it, but even with 7 42lb weights on the front the front end is a tad light. I if I had to do over I would get a fail mower.
:thumbup1gif:And that was ANOTHER issue I had. Wish they had forums back in the 80's, could have saved myself a lot of aggravation.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I ran a 4ft lmc bushhog on mine a couple weeks back and I could tell it was working pretty hard, but the grass was nearly 5 feet tall. It didn't stop the tractor or nothing but it didn't like the thicker areas that had been moist and grew well. It would bog down to about 400 rpm but it was enough you could tell the tractor didn't want to go to fast.

4ft should be it. Make sure that the blades are in good shape and it will help alot. The PTO HP is where you want to concentrate there, and 5HP /ft sounds about right.

You can help it out by leaving the loader on, drop it low and knocking some of it over as you go and that also makes it easier to find things in the grass that might not cooperate with your lower ground clearance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I have decided to get the 4 footer.

Here is what I have seen and priced so far:

Priefert RMS400 List price $1039 sale price $799 condition new (shear pin + rubber guards)

Frontier RC2048 List price $1780 my price $1450 condition new (slip clutch + chain guards)

John Deere LX4 condition slightly used price $500 (slip clutch + chain guards) went to look at this one today and it looks hardly used. Was traded in a couple of weeks ago. Price seems very good.

Others still to look at and price:

Bush Hog SQ148
King Kutter 4ft

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
That LX4 with chains and a slip clutch is a GREAT deal!-don't let that slip away :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I agree the LX4 is a great deal. I'd be tempted to ship it here for that price.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Around here, you can't find any rotary mowers for $500.00 unless they're seriously rusted out. To find a JD mower, with a slip clutch is definitely a deal. Make sure the slip clutch is clean and adjusted properly before you use it. That's not something to worry about before buying it, though. The adjustment is simple, and it only comes into play if you hit something with it while mowing. Once you learn where the obstacles are in your field (usually buried rocks), you won't hit them anymore. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Around here, you can't find any rotary mowers for $500.00 unless they're seriously rusted out. To find a JD mower, with a slip clutch is definitely a deal. Make sure the slip clutch is clean and adjusted properly before you use it. That's not something to worry about before buying it, though. The adjustment is simple, and it only comes into play if you hit something with it while mowing. Once you learn where the obstacles are in your field (usually buried rocks), you won't hit them anymore. :)
I keep telling myself that.....It takes some of us a little longer to learn! :laugh:

Wrangler, Congrats on the good score!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts