Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I park my 3039R in the garage most of the time. The problem is that in winter, I will disconnect my rotary cutter. If I leave it in the garage, it will be in the way of doing anything else. I would rather put it elsewhere in winter. I still want to protect it and keep the snow and moisture off of it. I am removing it so that the tractor can be less cumbersome when trying to move snow away from the front of my steps and house.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to wrap the cutter in a water proof tarp, then wrap the ends of the tarp around and under the cutter and then land the cutter on wooden blocks outside, next to the garage? Good idea? Any better ideas???

Thanks

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I don’t like tarping stuff like that. What happens is it will trap more moisture from condensation than without.

I wouldn’t cover it with anything. Put it up on a pallet(s) or 4x4’s or something so it is up off the ground and air can circulate under it. A nice coating of Fluid Film or something similar on the entire mower top and bottom and it will be fine. This all after a good cleaning / pressure washing.

My brush hog has been sitting outside like that for 12 years now and no worse for the wear.

·
Premium Member
13,865 Posts
The rotary cutter itself will be fine outside, I would suggest taking the PTO shaft off and storing that in the garage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rotary cutter itself will be fine outside, I would suggest taking the PTO shaft off and storing that in the garage.
How do you take the PTO shaft off?????

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,865 Posts
How do you take the PTO shaft off?????
There is a bolt on the implement side, that's how the shaft attaches to the gearbox on the implement, you'll see it. :good2:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have never stored a bushhog inside. We never did on the farm either. Clean off all the debris from top of deck, unhook from it, and drive away until you need it again. If you have really done a number to the paint, touching up the bare steel isn’t a bad ideal IMO

·
Registered
291 Posts
Agree with the others. It sits outside, on a concrete slab. There is nothing so delicate on a rotary cutter that it can't sit outside all the time.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree with the others. It sits outside, on a concrete slab. There is nothing so delicate on a rotary cutter that it can't sit outside all the time.
And that is where it shall reside this winter. Thanks for all of the input. I consider and appreciate everything said and suggested.

You fellers are top shelf!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
The climate in your location should keep various types of unwanted critters from using the RC deck as a roof for their homes.

But as it warms back up in the spring, I'd take some precautions before using it. I'd move it away from the storage spot before I knelt down to connect the PTO shaft.

Reactions: ky_shawn and PJR832
1 - 9 of 9 Posts