Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 2020 diesel tractor and I just bought an old heavy duty 5 foot JD rotary cutter to cut down 20 years of growth on my 8 acres. There are several cracks on the deck corners. The blade yoke spins freely and the
short six inch blades look solid and swing freely. The gear box is mounted in some rubber which is deteriorating
where it extends beyond the base of the gear box. There is a white chalky covered button or cap on the top of gear box that looks like it will break if I use any force on it to try to pry it up. Is it a dip stick? I can't read the
serial numbers on the JD serial no. plate. There is no model number. It looks as if there are three letters to start and then several numbers follow. The first three are either an SNE or maybe a 9NE. The official JD site won't recognize these combinations. These are followed by 7000001W. How would you suggest I get a manual?

I just unloaded it onto wood blocks and I thought I'd check in with some folks more experienced as to first steps to get this heavy duty beast up and going. Thanks for any help.

2tired
PS. Will this post just come up on the forum or do I need to look somewhere else on the site? Thanks again.

·
Administrator
20,332 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

If you can post a picture maybe someone can help identify it for you:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rotary cutter questions

I am not too computer literate. Had to get help to transfer pictures of the JD mower/ cutter
and it took me a couple of days. Hopefully the pictures will show.

I need help to identify what model this is. It has a JD serial number plate but no model
number on the plate. There are some cracks, on the corners. Is obtaining a manual
necessary? What kind of gear oil would this take?

Any help would be appreciated for this my second post.
2tired

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
That looks to be the little brotehr to the JD 307. The 307 is the 6' model. I do not know the model number for the 5' model. The tail wheel setup is a dead give away. That little guy is pretty old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rotarty mower questions

That looks to be the little brotehr to the JD 307. The 307 is the 6' model. I do not know the model number for the 5' model. The tail wheel setup is a dead give away. That little guy is pretty old.
Brian, Appreciate your input. This baby IS old. Any idea how to find the model number for the 5-foot version?
I also would like some who knows more about mowers to give a little preparation advice before using it.
Thanks 2tired

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I don't know anything about specific JD mower models, but as soon as I saw that rear wheel my first thought was "that is really old". :laugh:

I'd say put some 90 weight gear oil in the gearbox and fire that baby up. About all you can do is make sure the gearbox is filled, and the blades are balanced. If the blades don't have any chunks out of them and don't look bent, they should be fine. There's not much else on a rotary mower.

When you first fire it up watch for any excessive vibration and listen for any odd gearbox noises. It will probably shake a little, but the mower shouldn't be jumping around or sound like there are rocks in the gearbox.

I just fired up an old King Kutter I have that hasn't been used in years. I think your mower looks better, :lol: but I didn't have any problems with mine. The gearbox was full of oil and the blades looked okay. I had to adjust the mount so it would work with my quick-hitch, but that was all I did before I used it today.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't know anything about specific JD mower models, but as soon as I saw that rear wheel my first thought was "that is really old". :laugh:

I'd say put some 90 weight gear oil in the gearbox and fire that baby up. About all you can do is make sure the gearbox is filled, and the blades are balanced. If the blades don't have any chunks out of them and don't look bent, they should be fine. There's not much else on a rotary mower.

When you first fire it up watch for any excessive vibration and listen for any odd gearbox noises. It will probably shake a little, but the mower shouldn't be jumping around or sound like there are rocks in the gearbox.

I just fired up an old King Kutter I have that hasn't been used in years. I think your mower looks better, :lol: but I didn't have any problems with mine. The gearbox was full of oil and the blades looked okay. I had to adjust the mount so it would work with my quick-hitch, but that was all I did before I used it today.
And if you use that PTO shaft in the picture, BE VERY AWARE AROUND IT!!!! The guards on the new ones can be a p i t a, but the they do serve a good purpose.:drinks:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I wish I had my camera with me this afternoon when I fired up the old KK. I was about halfway completed, and I was running through some really thick grass and brush. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a big green ball. I turned around and the PTO shaft had a wad of wound up grass and brush about 2' long and 1' wide on it. I should probably get a new guard for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rotary cutter questions

Thanks for the input, all. I will try it out tomorrow. The back wheel shaft is rusted tight and the shaft won't turn.
The zirk is rusted out. Do you think greasing it full would help. I only have a little propane torch for
plumbing, would it help to heat it up and put a pipe wrench on the bottom of the shaft to see if it will turn?
It has a steel wheel that is bent where it looks like someone tried to use the wheel as a fulcrum to
bend the wheel and shaft loose. I was told it will work even if the wheel shaft won't spin. It looks like it will
drag OK. Sorry for all the questions. Really appreciate your input.
2tired

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Remove the zirk and use your small torch to heat up the wheel. You will be able to see if there is grease in there through the zirk hole. Pending how bad it is, you might want to put some penetrating oil in there rather than grease. If you can get it to move with the heat, put in a new zirk and add grease.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts