Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm confused, I have a new 1025r and am interested in getting a cutter for my tractor. I have seen prices at the lowest of below 800 bucks that being the Nortrac sold by Northern Tools to a little over 1000 bucks for other brands. I have no idea what the Deere model goes for because they dont advertise prices. I assume for my tractor a 48" is about the biggest and I think it would suit my needs just fine. Anybody here have any experience with brands other than Deere like king kutter or Nortrac? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

·
Registered
424 Posts
4 foot is ideal, maybe 5 if you've got real flat, real clear land you're cutting.

we just bought a TSC Countyline 4 foot model, it's working well so far. we picked it up with a 10% coupon as well, so it was under 900. seems reasonably well made. the Frontier RC2048 is around 1600.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a Woods rotary cutter that I use for mowing trails. It leaves a rough cut and it will destroy about anything it hits. I hit rocks but just raise it over until I am beyond it. Each year we spend a day removing rocks and filling in low spots. If I had more time the trails would be cleaner. I only mow them 2-3 times a year, just want to knock down the big crap. Our mower is 15-20 years old and still works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 foot is ideal, maybe 5 if you've got real flat, real clear land you're cutting.

we just bought a TSC Countyline 4 foot model, it's working well so far. we picked it up with a 10% coupon as well, so it was under 900. seems reasonably well made. the Frontier RC2048 is around 1600.
Yes my land is flat and there is a tractor supply store about 50 miles away from me and they sell that brand.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,934 Posts
I have a Woods rotary cutter that I use for mowing trails. It leaves a rough cut and it will destroy about anything it hits. I hit rocks but just raise it over until I am beyond it. Each year we spend a day removing rocks and filling in low spots. If I had more time the trails would be cleaner. I only mow them 2-3 times a year, just want to knock down the big crap. Our mower is 15-20 years old and still works great.
Have a Woods M-5, 60", 34 years old, still going strong.
Rebuilt the deck twice on it in that time, but never any trouble with the gearbox.

Reactions: grnspot110 and odis

·
Registered
741 Posts
The top rotary cutter brands seem to be Woods, Land Pride, Brush Hog, Rhino and Brown. My dad owned 3 or 4 Woods pull-type and I bought a new Woods BB72X last year for my Ford 3000. All have worked flawlessly and we've been pleased with the easy blade removal design. I also own a medium duty Land Pride 5' rotary cutter and the quality is equal to or better than Woods' BB720X.

Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Spend a little extra now and you'll likely enjoy a very long trouble-free life span. The leading brands are also much easier to sell if you eventually upgrade to a larger cutter.

Reactions: odis

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is like everything else involving a tractor opinions will very. if you have a tsc close get that. They work well and I use a five foot I got off of craigslist for 500 and the parts are easier to get because they sell more of them. John deere has grossly under rated the pto hp imho. I cut brush up to 1.5 inch no problem. Just slow and steady and I don't lift mine much except to get over curbs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
740 Posts
For the most part, you are going to get what you pay for. If you buy cheap, expect to get cheap. IMHO, a rotary cutter isn't something you should go cheap for unless you are doing light cutting once or twice a year. Heavy duty cutting requires a heavy duty cutter. It is just that simple. I have had good luck with Woods and Rhino brand cutters.

I think you are correct in looking for a 48" model. Any more than that is really going to give your 1025 a run for its money.

Another thing to consider is the availability of replacement parts. With a TSC right down the road, a country line cutter makes more sense than another brand whose closest dealer is an hour or two away. Yes, the internet can deliver a part right to your door, but it may take a week.

Reactions: rod330 and odis

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have a Woods 4' BH... It will eat anything you can drive over including wire:banghead:
Mines been great. Bought in 93 before I even owned a tractor. It was $ 750 back then. Friend had a tractor with no mower.
I had land and no tractor or anything...Fast forward 26 years. It still looks great..good paint. And zero issues.

Did I mention they make a great Hose Reel.

Will wind up 200' of your best garden hose in about 10 seconds:lol:

Somewhere I have a pic of that mess I'll see if I can find it.

I can't add images....but did attatch them to one of my CL ads here in Portland ,OR

You can see them here for a few laughs at my mistake... 85 Samurai Fender Flairs.not 86 & up

·
Registered
284 Posts
Really depends on your use, too. You can get by cheaper if you are using it for fairly light duty. That is what I use mine for...just to mow down some pasture grass. I get by with a cheap, light-duty Howse. If you are going to use it in heavier brush, you will need a heavier duty, better quality cutter. I could also probably get by with a five foot, but in really heavy stuff I can make the tractor grunt if I try to go through it too fast. And because posts like this are useless without pics:

1025 rotarycutter.jpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Besides the TSC that is 50 or 60 miles away there is an L&M Fleet Farm 35 minutes away that sells King Kutter implements and they have a 48" for 859 bucks. Anybody know what the quality of King Kutter attachments is like? I'm new to this and thats why I joined this forum, I need to pick some brains so I don't make stupid mistakes.

·
Registered
408 Posts
.........Anybody know what the quality of King Kutter attachments is like? I'm new to this and thats why I joined this forum, I need to pick some brains so I don't make stupid mistakes.
I have a 48" KK. I'm very pleased it will handle about anything up to about 7/8 of an inch. It worked very well on willows. It cuts grass very well. I did go through a dip and bent the tail wheel bracket... My bad

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 48" KK. I'm very pleased it will handle about anything up to about 7/8 of an inch. It worked very well on willows. It cuts grass very well. I did go through a dip and bent the tail wheel bracket... My bad
After doing some research and reading user reviews I am fairly certain that the King Kutter is what will work for me. I like the Fleet supply store that sells them and have been doing business with them since the early 80s. They service what they sell. I appreciate all of the responses.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Parts and service after the sale can often be just as important as the sale in the first place. It is something that a lot of people tend to overlook.

Hopefully you'll be happy with your new toy. Don't forget to check the gearbox oil level before you start mowing!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
After doing some research and reading user reviews I am fairly certain that the King Kutter is what will work for me. I like the Fleet supply store that sells them and have been doing business with them since the early 80s. They service what they sell. I appreciate all of the responses.
I had a 5ft. Competitor by Modern Manufacturing that was so extremely heavy I opted to trade with a new friend that has a 5ft. John Deere 127 commonly known as a Grammy <stupid spellcheck, Graymor> I believe. They do the same thing but the JD was built in the 60s for tractors with less horsepower and it does so much better with so much less weight. The Competitor was probably a better machine but it was so hard to turn with that weight even with a load of bricks in front loader.

My honest opinion though is if you are seriously looking at a rear mower then you need to consider a flail mower. In the long run they are smaller, safer, and can chew up some rough land and leave it looking as nice as a finish mower. Price is more, but so with it.

Problem I have is can not find a dealer in North Texas that sells them new or used. Everything Attachments is too far away for free shipping too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well I'm confused, I have a new 1025r and am interested in getting a cutter for my tractor. I have seen prices at the lowest of below 800 bucks that being the Nortrac sold by Northern Tools to a little over 1000 bucks for other brands. I have no idea what the Deere model goes for because they dont advertise prices. I assume for my tractor a 48" is about the biggest and I think it would suit my needs just fine. Anybody here have any experience with brands other than Deere like king kutter or Nortrac? Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
locomodis-

I own a 60" Bush Hog brand rotary cutter and an 84" Farm King finishing mower. I think it's very important to consider what you're clearing/mowing and your terrain to inform your decision. My Bush Hog has a stump jumper and two stout blades that pivot and "fold back" when they strike firm objects like stumps and rocks. Through the years, I've had a corner of the deck welded, have had to replace a shaft seal and maintain the fluid level, sharpen blades, etc. The hog is used for heavy brush; it slings debris from under the deck like crazy. I acquired this cutter with my property

The finishing mower is an oversized lawn mower. It has three high lift blades and adjustable caster wheels that we use to get the same deck height as the riding mower that we use for the edge and cut out work. This RFM is used to maintain fine grass and very light brush: no heavy stuff. I acquired this RFM on Craigslist

I operate both cutters with a 4720 that has HP to spare.

Good luck with your decision,

Brian

Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts