Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with or own a self leveling rotary laser level that you would recommend? I have several projects coming up where I am in need of a laser level for grading and drainage. Have been looking online and YouTube but nothing standouts. I like the Dewalt unit but at almost $1,400 not sure I will get the value out of it for what I need, plus I am not trying to break the bank. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've owned a Johnson self leveling laser level for about 5 years now and have absolutely loved it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ME77KCI/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00ME77KCI&pd_rd_wg=AvYMW&pd_rd_r=XVZGPK8SZKF9RHWR4A88&pd_rd_w=dQESi

That is the current version of the one I have on Amazon. I bought mine at home depot for about the same price 5 years ago. When I bought it I needed it to install a septic system and had a hard time spending the money on it. I gotta say it has been one of the most helpful tools I have ever purchased. It has saved me countless hours of work and frustration on decks, foundations, a pool, shelves, painting you name it.

The more expensive units will get you a brighter laser that is easier to see outdoors. The laser detector that comes with the Johnson level works great tho even if you cant see the laser it can. You certainly can spend a lot of money on a contractor grade level but if this is for home use I would really look in to saving a grand and getting this one.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I got the version prior to this one. My tripod and story pole don't fit in the case, but I think it's pretty much the same. Mine was $299 on clearance because this version came out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-1-000-ft-Beam-Self-Leveling-Rotary-Laser-Level/50290661

It's served me well. I'm no pro. I've used it for grading and all of that expected stuff, but it will also go vertical. I used to to help hand the lights in my shed for example.

That's about all I've got. I really only have experience with this particular one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I recently bought the same one as referenced above by Cjadamec, only I spent the extra for the kit with the hard case. I'm about to add a garage on to the house and am planning on doing most everything myself. I did lots of research on laser levels and liked what I saw with this kit.

Reactions: RetiredDoc

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently bought the same one as referenced above by Cjadamec, only I spent the extra for the kit with the hard case. I'm about to add a garage on to the house and am planning on doing most everything myself. I did lots of research on laser levels and liked what I saw with this kit.
Just ordered the same one except it is the 99-027K. Looking forward to putting it to work as soon as the new 2038R and 270B show up. :good2:

Reactions: MadOx

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I too have been looking as Ive got a few projects coming up that will require it, and some planned in the not so near future that will likely need it too.

What Ive found is that you can spend a ton, but you dont have to.
There are several places that sell refurbished Bosch units, or just clearance, that are under $400 for the whole set.

What I generally do when I find one that looks good (I do this with just about anything I buy) I go look for reviews and tests against other similar products.
Without that, the reviews sometimes work fine too, but I find out a lot more about something when its the subject of an article or video.

·
Premium Member
15,050 Posts
If you have any pawn shops may find one setting on the shelf. :dunno: BIL bought a tripod and transit lever for 1/3 the cost of a new one.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also have a Johnson one. I believe it's the next one up from the one shown. It comes in a plastic molded case and was about 500. I have used it outside and inside and it works perfectly and is accurate. I'm very happy with it.
Ron

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got the version prior to this one. My tripod and story pole don't fit in the case, but I think it's pretty much the same. Mine was $299 on clearance because this version came out.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-1-000-ft-Beam-Self-Leveling-Rotary-Laser-Level/50290661

It's served me well. I'm no pro. I've used it for grading and all of that expected stuff, but it will also go vertical. I used to to help hand the lights in my shed for example.

That's about all I've got. I really only have experience with this particular one.
I have no experience with laser levels except this Bosh. I bought it on line at some remanufactured place (possibly here - https://www.cpotools.com/bosch-reconditioned-construction-lasers/bosch-reconditioned-construction-lasers,default,sc.html) . For my needs this far, it's worked really well.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I bought the TopCon RL-H4C. Essentially the same level is the RL-H5A (the later model being sold now). Auto-leveling, and it has a manual 'slope' setting which makes it a bit easier to manage slope for a ditch, pipe, etc.

I use it in several videos if you are interested.

Here is the most recent video usage:

..and here is the first time I used it:

Very few 'buttons'. Almost no setup. Just sit it on the tripod, turn it on, and wait for it to level itself.

My Amazon store for your convenience. It is in the 'general' section
http://amazon.com/shop/tractortimewithtim

I find that it takes some 'thinking' to figure out how to 'apply' a laser level to the task at hand. It is somewhat mathematically challenging.
However, it does what it says it does VERY well. I should probably make a video on how I use it for a couple different types of projects.

Tim

·
Registered
679 Posts
I rented one to help me put in a drainage line, a french drain. It came with no manual, and was years old. I spent more time trying to find I destructions than I did using it. It was helpful after I kind of figured it out.

When I do the next drain I'll buy one. It will help with lining up shelves etc in a new shop.

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I bought one from Harbor Freight for $60.00 to use just to put up about 400' of fence. It worked great for that and I use it inside for all kinds of leveling. I thought for that little money if I was just going to use it for one time I wouldn't be out much but it hasn't let me down yet.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
390 Posts
Insteresting what you can find on this site. I was just looking at rotarty lasers to purchase. I really like the Bosch but they take C or D batteries...who even buys thats size any more ??

The one big advantage to the Bosch was self leveling in both vertical and horizonal. The Johnson is only self in horizonal(manual vertical). Other thing was warranty. Bosch is 2 yr limited, Johnson was 3 yrs.

I am going to go with the Johnson 99-026K Kit($514). It comes with everything including rechargable battery pack for the laser. Good for 800ft. I am gettting it through tigersupplies.com. Home Depot has almost the exact kit but it just uses the AA and AAA batteries and a non-LCD display detector.($488).

Both the Bosch and Johnson have good reviews but again, for me, it came down to the battery sizes.....

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well ordered my laser this evening after thinking about it just a bit.... Found a $35 off coupon searching the internet for tigersupplies.com. So out the door, no tax, free shipping, $478.50 for the complete setup. :yahoo:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts