Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with a rotary mower or bush hog, what is the approx height of the grass after you finish mowing? I would guess it can vary since you can raise or lower your 3 pt. Would 8 to 10" fall within that range?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I cut mine down to 4-5" but I could easily adjust the tail wheel up to 8-10" and do that.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I concur with Brian. I typically cut mine around 5-6" but you could easily adjust the tail wheel to the height that you prefer.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Like the others I cut at 5" and am sure I could cut much higher if I wanted to.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I tried to cut higher tonight when cutting the alfalfa. I lifted the tail wheel since it was just temporary. 8 inches was OK, but I found that the plant seemed to have more room to sway over sideways rather than cut the highter I went. It did cut, dont get me wrong, but there were some that were uncut. The grass seemed to be wose, but it was only 10-14 inches tall so I was only cutting the top little bit off. At 5 inches it looked like I cut it with my lawn mower.

If you have tall plants, you would have no issue.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Like said above, I'm sure my 4' County Line brush hog type mower would work, but unless the stems were sturdy on the plants to be mowed it probably wouldn't do a great job. The rough cut mower just doesn't have the vacuum the 60D does. I have mine set at 5" and it does a great job. Why are you looking to cut at 10"?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm with everyone else here, my rotary mower is set for about 5-6". I could go a little lower if I wanted. If you wanted to go up to 10" like you mentioned, I think you could probably do it with a sickle bar mower.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all

I appreciated all the responses. We instead went with a 60" Woods Finish Mower. I will post more on that later.

Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts