Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Rotary Tiller 3 point 5 or 6 foot.
There so many to choose from I'm lost. This is what I'm going to use it for.
I have a land that I been moving sod and dirt from one place to another..

Now I want to use a tiller to grind up the top soil and then move it to my extended lawn. It beats buying 6 truck loads of top soil when I have it in my back yard.

When I'm done the place were I took some of the top soil from will become a food plot for the deer.

I would like a used Tiller but can't find one.

So if I have to get new $2000 would be my limited to spend.
I have a TSC by my house, John Deere, and Woods dealer all close by. Then there everything Attachment for on line.:dunno:

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
I love my KingKutter, it's a 4'. Stout machine for the money

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I will look at both, but because TSC is close I think I will get that one.

Reactions: 5304 and ColonyPark

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
I'm looking to buy a Rotary Tiller 3 point 5 or 6 foot.
There so many to choose from I'm lost. This is what I'm going to use it for.
I have a land that I been moving sod and dirt from one place to another..

Now I want to use a tiller to grind up the top soil and then move it to my extended lawn. It beats buying 6 truck loads of top soil when I have it in my back yard.

When I'm done the place were I took some of the top soil from will become a food plot for the deer.

I would like a used Tiller but can't find one.

So if I have to get new $2000 would be my limited to spend.
I have a TSC by my house, John Deere, and Woods dealer all close by. Then there everything Attachment for on line.:dunno:
Here is one that is on Craigslist near Harrisburg, PA. The ad says $1900.00. I see you are from Hudson Valley, NY. That's driveable.

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grq/5528099431.html

MGD Tractor and Equipment.
2453 E Cumberland St, Lebanon, PA 17042

Description

Rototiller, 70" Working Width, 540 PTO, 3 Pt.
#9620507XX

Length: 42, Height: 42
Specifications

ManufacturerTAYLOR-WAY
Model962GDT72
LocationLebanon, Pennsylvania
Serial NumberUNKNOWN
ConditionUsed
Stock Number31568
Width77 in

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Here is one that is on Craigslist near Harrisburg, PA. The ad says $1900.00. I see you are from Hudson Valley, NY. That's driveable.

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grq/5528099431.html

MGD Tractor and Equipment.
2453 E Cumberland St, Lebanon, PA 17042

Description

Rototiller, 70" Working Width, 540 PTO, 3 Pt.
#9620507XX

Length: 42, Height: 42
Specifications

ManufacturerTAYLOR-WAY
Model962GDT72
LocationLebanon, Pennsylvania
Serial NumberUNKNOWN
ConditionUsed
Stock Number31568
Width77 in
I did a quick search for Taylor Way tiller. Found the $1900.00 isn't a very good price for a used tiller. Here is a new one for not much more.
Thought it would be good to throw this out there. Might be a good negotiating tool!!

Attachments

Reactions: JKR and 5304

·
Registered
480 Posts

I am very happy with my Hawkline by Behlen Country tiller on my 1025r.
It was only $1400 new for the 48" model but that was a clearance sale.
I tilled up a quarter acre of alfalfa field the other day without a hiccup.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a quick search for Taylor Way tiller. Found the $1900.00 isn't a very good price for a used tiller. Here is a new one for not much more.
Thought it would be good to throw this out there. Might be a good negotiating tool!!
I also did a price check. The $1900 plus my drive was to much for that unit. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was tractor supply and the guy there said I should get a bottom plow and a Disc harrow. Or the disc harrow over the rotary tiller.
Because it would do the job faster for what I want to do. The rotary tiller will work but slow but it will do a better job of making the dirt more spreadable. Now I'm more confused.:dunno:
I did like the 5 foot TSC Tiller it was $1599.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I was tractor supply and the guy there said I should get a bottom plow and a Disc harrow. Or the disc harrow over the rotary tiller.
Because it would do the job faster for what I want to do. The rotary tiller will work but slow but it will do a better job of making the dirt more spreadable. Now I'm more confused.:dunno:
I did like the 5 foot TSC Tiller it was $1599.
I disagree with the TSC sales associate, unless you are looking at loosening up 4-5 acres of land. For a couple of acres or less, the tiller will be the only implement you would need. You would spend twice the amount of money going with a plow and disc, and not get as good a result. You can actually go quickly with a tiller as long as you don't want a really fine loose soil. I did some work for a friend this weekend leveling their round pen. I tilled the high side and moved the dirt to let low side. I didn't need real fine loose soil, so I ran the tiller quickly over the areas that needed to be knocked down, then scooped it up. I leveled that 60' round pen in 2.5 hours and had over 18" of slope to level.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plus you can take the tiller over to the land you're moving the dirt to and incorporate the new dirt into your lawn nicely.

Reactions: ColonyPark and 5304

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts

I am very happy with my Hawkline by Behlen Country tiller on my 1025r.
It was only $1400 new for the 48" model but that was a clearance sale.
I tilled up a quarter acre of alfalfa field the other day without a hiccup.

I agree 100%. These things are TANKS! The 4' model is right at the upper limit of what the 1-Series probably can handle. Way over built. I'd get the 6' version in a heartbeat if I had the machine to run. Should come in under your $2k budget too.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to go with you guys. The real world people with the experience sold me. Now 5 foot or 6 foot. I will decide when I pick it up wednesday.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
232 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. Ive pondered this for nearly a year, and my tiller plans have been sidelined in lue of some other home upgrades that are more important. For me, you can't beat the ansung/terra force. I especially like the ero74, and equipment barn and some others always have fair prices. A close runner up are the Phoenix/sicma tillers, t-10 and above, and some crazy deals can be found on them too. Iirc, I had a price of under 2k all said and done delivered to my door from a NC dealer. Hardly pays to go to tsc for a county line or whatever they call their line. In my opinion, theft and finish is simply nicer than King kutter, and I prefer the sweeping blades over the L type on the kutter. Once I pull the cash together, it will be a ero74 or t10 74 for behind my green machine!!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yesterday it was raining so I went to TSC and bough the 5 foot Tiller. Loaded in the truck and came home. Looked at the instruction manual and got confused. OKOk lets start, remove from crate, fill with oil, clean up oil mess, Install all brackets, grease PTO shaft, Install PTO shaft, add bushing for quick hitch, install tiller to tractor, check PTO shaft for if, OK no need to cut it. Done.

Not a hard job but a lot of bending over and my back felt it. Took the till off and now I have to wait for a dry day.

I also got a JD 2 bottom plow PB1002 that I will pick up Wednesday. When I get the plow I will post photos of both attachments.

Going in to a tractor supply store or dealer is like going into Walmart. You think you going to spend $50 and you spent $100 but at the tractor dealer or store you keep adding zero's to the numbers. :gizmo:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I pick up my tiller and plow. Now I have to wait for dry weather.
uploadfromtaptalk1462709876400.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1462709905002.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1462709922755.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1462709933584.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts