Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 4010 MCUT that I put a lot more hours on than I thought I would. Mos t of my tractor owning friends tell me use Rotella instead of the JD oil. Sure would be cheaper to be able to get it by the gallon.

What say the peanut gallery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I've got a 2007 4010 MCUT that I put a lot more hours on than I thought I would. Mos t of my tractor owning friends tell me use Rotella instead of the JD oil. Sure would be cheaper to be able to get it by the gallon.

What say the peanut gallery?

There isn't a thing wrong with Rotella! I wouldn't hesitate using it in my 3520, it's served us well on many tractors for MANY hours. I sure wouldn't skimp on hydraulic fluid though, if you have an hydrostatic transmission the JD fluid is the best option IMO. Considering I'm strict on using the manufactures filters and hydraulic fluids it's just easier to run JD engine oil as well considering I'm already at the dealer buying everything else for a service, but I am not afraid of running Rotella a bit.

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
Oh boy....yet another oil thread......

I use Rotella T6 synthetic in my diesels and have for years. With no Deere dealers around here it’s my only way to go. And you can’t beat the price with their rebates.

Better Fuel Economy Meets Better Wallet Economy | Shell ROTELLA®

I can get it locally for around $22 per gallon minus the $7 rebate comes to $15.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There are lots of good oils out there, including Rotella. As long as you are using an oil that meets the requirements, go for it. You don't have to stick with JD oil, or limit yourself to Rotella.
My opinion, and approach, is that the maintenance schedule is much more important than which brand of oil I use.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
Oh boy....yet another oil thread......

I use Rotella T6 synthetic in my diesels and have for years. With no Deere dealers around here it’s my only way to go. And you can’t beat the price with their rebates.

Better Fuel Economy Meets Better Wallet Economy | Shell ROTELLA®

I can get it locally for around $22 per gallon minus the $7 rebate comes to $15.
Deere dealer? What's that? So far in 5 years I've purchased all of my JD engine and transmission oil via mail order - free shipping no less.

I also recently purchased a couple 2 1/2 gallon containers of Mobil 1 0W-30 Synthetic via WalMart mail order - again free shipping. It was less expensive than any of the local places I checked.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty strict on maintenance. I bought the tractor with 392 hours and did an oil change and hyro-fluid change at 400 and just did my 3rd oil change at 500. Can't believe I've put 100 hours on her in just over a year. Last 2 changes were much cleaner than the first one. I fear the previous owner wasn't so diligent.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,434 Posts
There isn't a thing wrong with Rotella! I wouldn't hesitate using it in my 3520, it's served us well on many tractors for MANY hours. I sure wouldn't skimp on hydraulic fluid though, if you have an hydrostatic transmission the JD fluid is the best option IMO. Considering I'm strict on using the manufactures filters and hydraulic fluids it's just easier to run JD engine oil as well considering I'm already at the dealer buying everything else for a service, but I am not afraid of running Rotella a bit.
:thumbup1gif:I agree, not worth the small savings IMO.

·
Premium Member
14,144 Posts
:thumbup1gif:I agree, not worth the small savings IMO.
Same here, it's a John Deere so it gets John Deere fluids

:munch:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,434 Posts
Same here, it's a John Deere so it gets John Deere fluids

:munch:
I do the same with all my Stihl equipment. I've never hard a problem with JD or Stihl equipment.

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
Deere dealer? What's that? So far in 5 years I've purchased all of my JD engine and transmission oil via mail order - free shipping no less.

I also recently purchased a couple 2 1/2 gallon containers of Mobil 1 0W-30 Synthetic via WalMart mail order - again free shipping. It was less expensive than any of the local places I checked.
I buy most everything besides groceries on-line. I don't know why but I never think of having fluids shipped. In fact I had 6 gallons of hydro fluid shipped from GFP last summer for free.

I use Rotella in the Beetle Bug anyway so have just always used it in my tractor also.

One reason I started with Rotella - when I bought my tractor, reading the manual, it calls for 5W30 oil. So when due for my first change I went to my then local dealer. He didn't have any - in fact Deere didn't make it. He said they just put 15W40 in everything.

While that may be OK it wasn't OK with me. So I ended up using Rotella T6 since it was 5W40 and synthetic and just never changed.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
I One reason I started with Rotella - when I bought my tractor, reading the manual, it calls for 5W30 oil. So when due for my first change I went to my then local dealer. He didn't have any - in fact Deere didn't make it. He said they just put 15W40 in everything.
HAH! That was my experience as well. I had been reading the manuals prior to delivery and knew for my area the 5W-30 was probably the best choice. So when I stopped in at the dealer just prior to delivery I mentioned about picking up an extra quart of oil just in case and also some coolant. I noticed that there was no 5W-30 on the shelf. I mentioned it to the sales dude and he turned to the parts guy and asked. The parts guy just said "We probably don't carry it". I politely mentioned that 5W-30 is what was recommended in the manual. The parts guy just shrugged his shoulders. I sort of knew then the attention to detail that I could expect.

So I picked up a quart of 10W-30 figuring if I needed to add oil it would suffice.

Of course later I learned on my own that JD doesn't even make a 5W-30 oil, learned about Break-in oil, etc.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,434 Posts
I buy most everything besides groceries on-line. I don't know why but I never think of having fluids shipped. In fact I had 6 gallons of hydro fluid shipped from GFP last summer for free.

I use Rotella in the Beetle Bug anyway so have just always used it in my tractor also.

One reason I started with Rotella - when I bought my tractor, reading the manual, it calls for 5W30 oil. So when due for my first change I went to my then local dealer. He didn't have any - in fact Deere didn't make it. He said they just put 15W40 in everything.

While that may be OK it wasn't OK with me. So I ended up using Rotella T6 since it was 5W40 and synthetic and just never changed.
I'm pretty sure John Deere recommends 15W-40.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
I'm pretty sure John Deere recommends 15W-40.
Actually, per the manual, on the 2520/2720 JD only lists two oil recommendations:

2520_oil.jpg

As you can see, for PA winters 5W-30 would be the correct choice.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,434 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
What? A JD maintenance quick reference chart that doesn't match the operator's manual? Never saw that coming. :hide:

The quick chart for the 2720 also shows 15W-40. :dunno:

BTW... I was going to check the 2320 operator's manual but I cannot get to it. I've tried to access that manual several times over the last few months and when I click the hyperlink for the on-line manual it just takes me back to the model selection page.

Is anyone else seeing the same problem? It only seems to be the 2320, other models work fine.

·
Registered
23,570 Posts
What? A JD maintenance quick reference chart that doesn't match the operator's manual? Never saw that coming. :hide:

The quick chart for the 2720 also shows 15W-40. :dunno:

BTW... I was going to check the 2320 operator's manual but I cannot get to it. I've tried to access that manual several times over the last few months and when I click the hyperlink for the on-line manual it just takes me back to the model selection page.

Is anyone else seeing the same problem? It only seems to be the 2320, other models work fine.
I am seeing the same thing.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have been using Rotella 5w-30 in both tractors, based on above chart as well.....I think biggest thing is that it gets changed every spring....

just looked my owners manual and the service diagram gizmo posted both agree 5w-30 go figure

and i can't believe my engine and a 2320/2520 engine are all that much different???????

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
If there is one thing JD has proven without doubt to me on what NOT to do, its to place trust in their publications. I wonder what percentage of the MSRP of each piece of equipment sold goes to the payroll of those writing the majority of the crap that's out there?

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
and i can't believe my engine and a 2320/2520 engine are all that much different???????
I don't think that has anything to do with it. It is simply a lack of consistency in the documentation.

Example, when they replaced the 2720 with the 2032R (Gen1) it was basically a set of new stickers with some very very minor changes here and there. Same exact engine (3TNV88). Yet the engine oil recommendations in the operator's manuals went from this:

2520_oil.jpg

To this:

2032R (Gen1)
2032R_oil-2.jpg

Again... same engine, same tractor. Note that even the temperature ranges for each oil viscosity are different.

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
As usual, JD literature driving people to drink!:banghead::banghead:

I've been using the JD synthetic stuff (0W-40) ever since I got the break in oil out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts