Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like your opinions regarding using a rototiller or a disc harrow for planting food plots no larger than an acre in size. Or any other implement that could be used. Thank you in advance. I already have a Kodiak rototiller and am wondering if rototilling virgin soil often is going to be too much strain on it. Also, what are your thoughts on using a cultipacker or seed bed roller after putting seed down?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
IMHO, a rototiller is a great all around piece of equipment. Your limitation with it is breaking up the soil beyond 6" deep.

On virgin soil, you would be best off using a subsoiler prior to tilling. You could even do that annually when its dry. It has to be very dry for it to work.

A disc is not great unless you need to cut things up, and in a food plot situation, a rotary cutter would be better suited than a disc on a small tractor since the disc does not have the weight needed for it to dig deep.

Your other option would be a cultivator. John Deere or Frontier makes a 72: model that would work great for food plots, but it will not give you the finish of a tiller.

As far as a cultipacker, what type of soil is this? :unknown: Also, what are you planting?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have both. I had the disc harrow first (bought about seven years ago) and this year purchased a JD 655 tiller. I cannot ever imagine using the disc harrow again for my situation. This tiller turns hard clay into powder. I can get between 7" and 8" of depth on the first pass. I can get deeper on subsequent passes, but never measured after the first pass.

Reactions: JKR

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I'd get a tiller.

Reactions: JKR
1 - 4 of 4 Posts