Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to buy a rototiller to run off my JD650 power takeoff @ 540rpm...will a 48" Countyline (TSC) do it or will it overheat the engine? I have just a few food plots under 1 acre each.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I'd like to buy a rototiller to run off my JD650 power takeoff @ 540rpm...will a 48" Countyline (TSC) do it or will it overheat the engine? I have just a few food plots under 1 acre each.
Well your PTO HP is 14.5HP and it says it need a Minimum of 25HP to run the county line 48inch. The 550 tiller that was made for it was able to be used on tractors up to 30 PTO HP
Here would be a brand's I would Look at for the 650 BEFCO - Till-Rite T30 (16-30 HP tractor) or https://www.kingkutter.com/store-product.aspx?id=3554
:bigthumb:

Reactions: TJR345

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well your PTO HP is 14.5HP and it says it need a Minimum of 25HP to run the county line 48inch. The 550 tiller that was made for it was able to be used on tractors up to 30 PTO HP
Here would be a brand's I would Look at for the 650 BEFCO - Till-Rite T30 (16-30 HP tractor) or https://www.kingkutter.com/store-product.aspx?id=3554
:bigthumb:
I could be wrong, but I think that County Line is referencing engine HP, not PTO HP. I'd be surprised if the tiller's gearbox is rated for 50HP.

To the OP, FWIW, I ran a 60" either County Line or King Kutter tiller on a John Deere 1023e all fall a couple years back. Why? Well I took it in on trade and it customer it came from had set it up that way so I figured I'd try it out. It tilled virgin ground with ease. The 1023e is rated for a hair over 15HP at the PTO.

However, the old rule of thumb is 5HP at the PTO per foot of implement. Personally, I think you'd be okay, but may also depend on soil type.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could go down to a 33" or 37" tiller but the tire track issue would be a pain in the butt, tires are 48". The areas I wish to till are log skidder roads that were pushed in when I had land timbered a few years ago, I would like to plant clover for deer and turkeys. Last year with no other equipment than a cultivator with spring tines I scratched up enough to get a few inches of loose dirt then seeded clover/oats/rye drug it with a 4x4 chained to tractor and put down the fertilizer. I got a pretty decent crop but thought that this year if I ran a tiller over it the seed bed would be better. A lot of fuss to feed the deer but I enjoy the time outdoors.
Goodworkstractors: The 5HP/ft of tiller ratio PTO sounds sensible. I do not think that Yanmar diesel with 14.5HP @ PTO would complain too much. The tractor weighs around 1700# and I have 160# of suitcase weights on the front with the rear tires liquid filled.
Sergant: Thank you for the link I will check them out. Shipping really adds up quick when you order something like this online, I mentioned Countyline cause there is a TSC store 5 miles from my house and they have one in stock. I liked Everything Attachments tillers too, I have their boxblade and it is a beauty.

Thank you both for your inpu!.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'd target a subcompact-compatible tiller in the 48" range like the KK Sergeant linked to above. Lots of people use those on 1025R tractors and the PTO HP is pretty close. I'd think that would be fine on your 650. If it seems to be working hard you can always slow down and let it catch up.

Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run a 60" reverse tine on my 750, i think that you'd be fine. There may be times depending on the soil, that you may have to go shallow on the 1st pass, then go over it again.
I had a dealer that wouldn't even price me what i wanted because his book said that i didn't have the power to run it. I emailed him a video of my 750 and new tiller in action and told him that his book was broken.

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
The factory tiller for my 400 with an air cooled 20hp Kohler is 48. The tiller for my 112 with a 12hp Kohler was 36”. Yours should have no issue at all with the 48”.

Reactions: Yank and Pajd650

·
Registered
234 Posts
I could go down to a 33" or 37" tiller but the tire track issue would be a pain in the butt, tires are 48". The areas I wish to till are log skidder roads that were pushed in when I had land timbered a few years ago, I would like to plant clover for deer and turkeys. Last year with no other equipment than a cultivator with spring tines I scratched up enough to get a few inches of loose dirt then seeded clover/oats/rye drug it with a 4x4 chained to tractor and put down the fertilizer. I got a pretty decent crop but thought that this year if I ran a tiller over it the seed bed would be better. A lot of fuss to feed the deer but I enjoy the time outdoors.
Goodworkstractors: The 5HP/ft of tiller ratio PTO sounds sensible. I do not think that Yanmar diesel with 14.5HP @ PTO would complain too much. The tractor weighs around 1700# and I have 160# of suitcase weights on the front with the rear tires liquid filled.
Sergant: Thank you for the link I will check them out. Shipping really adds up quick when you order something like this online, I mentioned Countyline cause there is a TSC store 5 miles from my house and they have one in stock. I liked Everything Attachments tillers too, I have their boxblade and it is a beauty.

Thank you both for your inpu!.
What kind of Clover do you usually plant for the deer?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plant a mix Crimson/Duran/Ladino it lasts about 3-4 years if you fertilize and frost seed a bit in the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts