Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at buying a 3 point mower for my 4066. Do you think an 8 ft or 10 ft would be a better fit. Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
I imagine you could power either. An 8' is about as big as I would want in a 3pt unit tho. I think the 10' would be better suited to a drawbar, but thats just me..

Jason

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hills, flat pasture or? That would be my concern...

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Well, I have a 3pt 10ft Rhino for my 4066R, but have to admit that an 8ft might be better. I think the biggest thing you need to be concerned about is the weight of the unit if you are going 3pt. Mine weighs 1750#, which is near the limit. If you go with a heavier unit, you might need to go with a pull type. I believe power will not be a problem for you with either size. Although I prefer to go at max speed in B range which is 9 MPH, I probably will not be able to do that with the 10ft in heavy/tall stuff. That speed is no problem for my 110 inch RFM, but I am not mowing the tough stuff. Another thing to think about: If you go with a pull type, you will need rear hyd remotes to run the hyd cylinder to raise/lower the unit. I have the 4th and 5th SCV's, so that would not have been a problem for me. I would have went either way, but the 3pt unit became available, so I took that one. I had a 6ft Rhino, but it just was not big enough to bother with, so I got a bigger one and sold the 6ft for what I paid for it. One more thing: Anything bigger than 6ft is going to be cat 2, so an iMatch will not work, unless you go with a cat 2 iMatch and all your rear attachments are cat 2. Even then, brush hogs are notorious for not working with iMatch. All my others are cat 1, which work with my cat 1 iMatch. Of course, post hole diggers will never work with an iMatch. For the 10ft 3pt Rhino, I just put cat 1 pins on the inside of the frame, whereas the cat 2 pins are on the outside of the frame.

Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My land is fairly flat. General rolling hills. I probably won’t use my imatch. I’m thinking the 8 ft 3 pt may be a little more handy. Any brand presence. Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
10 foot is going to be a PITA on the trailer at over 120" wide. I have 2 72" Land Pride units. The 2572 was bought new and abused. Replaced the gear box once. Did I mention it was abused?? The second one is a 2672. I bought it used but somebody did a really nice job adding 3/8 steel to the underside where the blades will come in contact with the deck then repainted it.

Where the 2572 was being used I would have liked the 84 or even the 10 footer cutting over 15 acres but it would have been much more difficult to use in the smaller tighter areas.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Pull type

If you aren't going to need to trailer it, I would go with a 10' pull type. A ten is going to be a load with a 3ph and I wouldn't put it on that size tractor.

Any of the major brands are good. Bushhog, JD, Landpride, Woods all make good units. Look at the gearbox ratings, chains or curtains to contain debris, stump jumpers etc. Also look at the decks, what thickness metal, finish, are they smooth and easy to clean or have places that will trap debris and water?

IMHO, unless you have special needs wider is better. Over the years we've gone from a 6' mower to a 15'. It's really nice to mow well outside of the wheel tracks.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you have to travel down the road at all a 10" will not work. In many places it is illegal unless you have permit etc.

Also, I have an MX8 3 pt hitch mower and use it with a 5065E. It throws the tractor around quite a bit and the front end definitely gets light with the mower fully up so I cannot fathom using an MX10 3 point on it. In fact my dealer told me he hardly ever sells any 10 footers. I see lots of 8 and 6 footers and Batwings on the lot, but not 3 point MX-10s.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
If you have to travel down the road at all a 10" will not work. In many places it is illegal unless you have permit etc.

Also, I have an MX8 3 pt hitch mower and use it with a 5065E. It throws the tractor around quite a bit and the front end definitely gets light with the mower fully up so I cannot fathom using an MX10 3 point on it. In fact my dealer told me he hardly ever sells any 10 footers period. I see lots of 8 and 6 footers and Batwings on the lot, but not 3 point MX-10s.
Good point about the roads.

didn't you get a 6105E?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I read the responses regarding 10ft 3pt brush hogs and it seems most are not aware that there are many different 10ft brush hogs that weigh considerably different. Here is a 3pt 10ft Kodiak that only weighs 1540# https://www.agrisupply.com/kodiak-heavy-duty-rotary-cutter/p/36225/

My Rhino 10ft 3pt weighs 1750#. Here is a 10ft 3pt Woods that weighs 2373# https://www.woodsequipment.com/productDetails.aspx?id=498 Now that is a big difference at over 800# compared to the Kodiak.. I can handle the lightweight 10ft units,but there is no way I can handle the Woods unit mentioned above. My Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM weighs 1500# and I have been using it for 4 summers now without any problems. The Kodiak is nearly the same weight.

The JD 3pt MX10 weighs 2113#. The JD 3pt HX10 weighs 2326#. Both are too heavy for my 4066R, but the lighter units work fine, so it becomes necessary to determine which 10ft unit you are talking about. Now remember, that the lighter units will not cut the thick trees of a heavier unit if that is what you are wanting, nor will the lighter unit handle the HP of the more powerful and larger tractors.

Dave

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good point about the roads.

didn't you get a 6105E?
Yes I did! It seems so long ago when I ordered it back in September or October last year and it didn't come until late March. The dealer indicated it got caught up in the end of model year turnaround so I guess I ordered it at the worst time. But anyway we have it now and am very pleased with it. Lots of features and plenty of power. A few pics attached. One is at the dealer just after I inspected it pre-delivery, another is with the boss lady taking over, and one with the HX-15 about to eat. We kept the 5065E for smaller jobs.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Yes I did! It seems so long ago when I ordered it back in September or October last year and it didn't come until late March. The dealer indicated it got caught up in the end of model year turnaround so I guess I ordered it at the worst time. But anyway we have it now and am very pleased with it. Lots of features and plenty of power. A few pics attached. One is at the dealer just after I inspected it pre-delivery, another is with the boss lady taking over, and one with the HX-15 about to eat. We kept the 5065E for smaller jobs.
That is a beautiful looking rig right there. :good2:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Ok I found an mx10 that is a 2 Point mount for 3500. Is that a good buy???

Sounds like a good buy to me. I don't think that most people realize that you can run a 3pt mower as a semi-mount where you only hook up the two lower 3pt arms.

Dave

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Ok I found an mx10 that is a 2 Point mount for 3500. Is that a good buy???
Sure. Don't forget that you will need 1 hyd. outlet for the wheel cylinder.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 2 rear hydraulic outlets on the back. I think the 2 point will be easy on the tractor for lift and balance but a lot less handy.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would say its a good buy as long as its healthy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts