Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 338 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started out about 6 am, got up, dressed, went to the shop & fired the wood stove. Came in, shaved, looked back out to see If wife had let Chief out & noticed a "flickering" behind the shop! Checked it, called the Fire Dept even though there was noway they could save the shop: Pictures 2016 007.jpg Pictures 2016 009.jpg Pictures 2016 011.jpg Pictures 2016 013.jpg Pictures 2016 012.jpg

Apparently, I dropped a hot coal when dumping the ash pan. It's insured & will be replaced, won't replace everything, but start with the basics & work from there. I'll probably have the basic building replaced & finish it myself, should keep me busy this winter! The tools I'll replace as needed.

I built the 14 x 20' shop around 35-40 years ago & moved it here 30+ years ago.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Lowell,
Sorry to see what happened. Most things can be replaced and even upgraded. Glad you didn't get hurt but I feel your pain. My shop is 14' x 20' but is a sanctuary for me as I know yours was. Good luck making a better one and I wish I was close enough to help with the rebuild.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Oh that sucks, so sorry to hear this. :cray: Hopefully everything will o right and be back in operation.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Started out about 6 am, got up, dressed, went to the shop & fired the wood stove. Came in, shaved, looked back out to see If wife had let Chief out & noticed a "flickering" behind the shop! Checked it, called the Fire Dept even though there was noway they could save the shop: View attachment 112545 View attachment 112553 View attachment 112585 View attachment 112601 View attachment 112593

Apparently, I dropped a hot coal when dumping the ash pan. It's insured & will be replaced, won't replace everything, but start with the basics & work from there. I'll probably have the basic building replaced & finish it myself, should keep me busy this winter! The tools I'll replace as needed.

I built the 14 x 20' shop around 35-40 years ago & moved it here 30+ years ago.

Wow, hate to see that happen. We went through a house fire a few years ago and that was something I wouldn't wish upon anyone. At least you and all of your loved ones are safe and not hurt. Things can be replaced. Sorry to see this happen to you.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Ouch. At least no one was hurt that is the important part.

Kind of brings up another somewhat related question.

Does everyone carry insurance on their JD? I don't have any additional coverage on my X585. I was thinking with the new ZTrak that I should consider calling my agent. If it were a cheap lawn machine off craigslist that is one thing but I would hate to have something happen to my shop while it is in there and be stuck with a $16K note on a machine I don't have anymore because it blew away in a tornado or burned up. If I were to lose both I would be looking at probably close to $26K by the time all the attachments and implements are added in if they were lost as well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Sorry to see this as well grnspot110. Glad you were not hurt or for that matter, glad no one or any pets were hurt.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
man that sucks.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

glad you are OK. hope you can get everything worked out quickly and easily.

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry to see this as well grnspot110. Glad you were not hurt or for that matter, glad no one or any pets were hurt.
A couple hours later & Dottie would have been in there for the morning!

When I rebuild, I'll use propane heat, not because of the fire, but at my age how many more years of wood cutting do I have!

I needed to downsize & clean things up, just not this way!

In my 29 years of firefighting, I've seen it happen way too many times before!

·
Old Pa-pa
11,735 Posts
Dang Lowell, I'm so sorry to see this.
As others have said, no one injured is what really counts.

Hope the rebuild goes slick, hang in there.

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
What a shame Lowell. I know from your posts you spend a lot of time in that shop. Thankfully you and your wife and the dogs are safe.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
Sorry to see this Lowell.

I think every time I go by the kitchen or dining room window I glance out at my barn. Being ~100 years old and all wood (including the floor) it would go up quickly.

Your fire department must be fairly close and quick. Where I live it would be 20-30 minutes from phone call to arrival - it would be gone by then.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Sorry to see this Lowell.

Your fire department must be fairly close and quick. Where I live it would be 20-30 minutes from phone call to arrival - it would be gone by then.
out where i am there are no fire hydrants for 1/2-3/4 mile in either direction...:thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fire station is 2 miles away, one man on duty, rural dept comes also & is stationed in the same building. I've been retired 10 years now & only know one full-time firefighter, but I guess I'm still know around the station! Hydrant is at the front corner of our yard, couple hundred feet from the shop, they only used about 1-1/2 tanks of water. They did what they could!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Lowell, but stuff can be replaced, and as said, you and your loved ones are safe, which is most important.

Bad things happen, but you can always use them to your advantage ... you can and will rebuild, so make it bigger and better and more comfortable. Good luck and be safe.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,679 Posts
I'll add like everyone else, glad you're OK and no one was injured.

Right now I'm in the same boat as you on closeness of the FD. Not even sure how far they are, maybe 15-20 miles away. Scares me with some of the 1970's wiring at times.

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
grnspot110 so very sorry to hear this. We all know items can be replaced, it will just take time, main thing no one was hurt.

·
Super Moderator
8,041 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck Lowell. It's a shame but accidents do happen. I'm happy that nobody was injured. Be thankful that it wasn't worse and try not to worry about the clean-up and rebuild. I know how you feel under the circumstances. Had a bad kitchen fire once that could have been much worse in many ways.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. Man, that sucks.

This should be a flag for all of us to evaluate our insurance coverage as to what is the limit of coverage for accessory buildings. I think usual coverage for these type buildings is 25% of the insured amount of the primary building, usually the residence. This formula can leave a workshop or storage garage grossly under insured.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
X2 Giz said exactly what I was thinking.

1 - 20 of 338 Posts