Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While leaving church I noticed the queen's buggy had been hit. The Lord moves in mysterious ways but gracefully. Not so much here on earth with our fellow villagers. A note would have been nice. Even better not to hit it. But there it is.

Later, while riding the geezer glide suddenly two fawns came busting across the road diagonally. No time to react. I collided with the leader. Sadly, we killed the deer. By God's grace we stayed upright and I was able to safely stop the bike. The lower flaring was broken and I noticed the front brakes do not work now when I first apply them. They will if I let off and grab them again. I suffered a small bruise on my shine while the queen was okay. Shaken and a strange mix of gratitude the deer was small and we did not crash. She wishes we did not harm the deer. Least it did not suffer.

We decided maybe a boring night at home may be in order.

On another note, Let Freedom Ring! Happy Forth of July friends!

isaac

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Sorry to hear about the hit & run damage to your wife's car. Very lucky with the deere strike. Two-up + deer collision and you managed to keep the rubber side down. I say Amen! :good2:

·
Registered
368 Posts
+1
it isnt common to keep the pegs right side up when a deer is involved so someone was definitely looking out for you and the Ms today.

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
You're one lucky rider, seems God was watching over you today.

Sorry about the wife's car.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
Sorry to hear about the hit & run damage to your wife's car. Very lucky with the deere strike. Two-up + deer collision and you managed to keep the rubber side down. I say Amen! :good2:
X...........a lot!

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
I'm sure something else happened during the week that seemed like a slight setback. Things like this happen in three's.
Is this a Penna Dutch thing? Mrs. C. has always said this all her life - and it always comes true. Now when things start happening I am looking for #2 & #3 to get it over with.

·
Registered
83 Posts
WOW...sold my bike after a couple of close calls, Glad your guardian angel was with you.

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
Glad you are OK and kept the bike up.
Good job! :bigthumb:
When I used to ride, I once hit a BIRD at about 50mph and it almost took me off the bike. I can't imagine hitting a deer even a small one. I've seen the damage done when cars/trucks hit them.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Neighbor wasn't as lucky

Several years ago my neighbor hit a buck or maybe it hit him. Unfortunately it was coming off a bank and hit him, not the bike. Broken ribs, shoulder, wrist, concussion, internal damage etc. He ended up being med flighted but has mostly recovered.

Glad you and the Mrs. are ok.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Is this a Penna Dutch thing? Mrs. C. has always said this all her life - and it always comes true. Now when things start happening I am looking for #2 & #3 to get it over with.
They say that celebrities die in three's as well and often, it turns out to be true. I guess if one's definition of a "celebrity" is broad enough, it's a sure thing!:laugh:

Union Schnauzer, glad you were able to keep the bike paint side up and rubber side down. Even more important you and your wife were uninjured. Damage can always be repaired.

Wildlife and motorcycles are a dangerous combination. I have been a motorcycle rider for a long time and I ride with full leather jacket, gloves and full face helmet, blue jeans and steel toed boots at all times, regardless of how hot it is. I fractured my shoulder in multiple places which required multiple surgeries (and remains one source of chronic pain) picked asphalt out of the side of my face and ear once after hitting the pavement due to a pedestrian running out in front of me and that was enough. While I used to enjoy the wind in my hair, there are just too many risks and dangers so now when I ride, it's with all the right gear. :unknown: People all of the time ask me "Isn't that unbearable to wear the jacket, etc. in this heat?" As long as your moving it's fine but yes it does get warm in traffic, etc. but I would rather sweat than risk the injury.

I have seen numerous people who have been down on the pavement and or gravel wearing shorts, flip flops, etc. and it is always a very ugly sight. I just cringe when I see young women on the back of bikes wearing shorts, flip flops and a minimal top and no helmet. If they had any idea of the possible pain and agony they are risking which can happen in a flash and permanently disfigure them or end their life, perhaps they would reconsider, but maybe not.

Glad you are both OK and the bike can be fixed.:good2:

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
You are correct...deer and bikes are a lethal combination. I too have a friend that was nearly killed when he hit a deer while riding his Harley in Colorado. Spent most of the rest of the Summer in and out of I.C. and the hospital. But...on the other hand, have another acquaintance who happens to be a retired Orthopedic Surgeon, who rides a Harley religiously. I asked him one time, "Doc, how can you in good conscience ride a bike as much as you do?" He said something to the effect, "Yeah, I don't know how many times I've been awakened at 3:00 in the morning to put some of these guys back together, but you know, I love riding and I am as careful as I know how to be".

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One day I came home and found a note on my refrigerator from my mother. She said that dad wanted a motorcycle and I should talk to him. Before dad and I started in motorcycles together, he was really into guns. I purchased a few guns and joined my father. I never really had a real love for guns like dad did but I really valued my time with him going to gun shows, stores, shooting, etc. We really became close. Then my dad had a major stroke. Wrecked his truck as a result. Damn wonder it did not kill him and/or someone else. Dad recovered nearly 100%. It was a scary 6 months or so. One thing that did change was the shooting. Dad's stoke was accompanied with migraine headaches. The ka-boom of the .44 was no longer welcome with dad. A few years later he decided to pick up where he left off many years ago with motorcycles. Hence the note mom left. She even went to his stoke doctor and wanted him to convince dad to reconsider. The doctor told mom while it's true he at a greater risk for another stoke, it's stress he must avoid. If riding a motorcycle reduces the stress then do it. The truth is, if he was to have another stoke, even in the presence of a team of surgeons, it would be of little use.

Bottom line is this. God has given me a set number of days. I will live no longer. And I will live no less. While I do try not to intentional kill myself, I refuse to live in fear. I plan on living till I die. Lord willing, I have many years of riding left in me. I hope then to move to a nice street car like a '59 Chevrolet Biscayne with a 348 (like my dad had) or maybe I'll want to ride deep then I'll look for a '55 Cadillac Eldorado.

I often here the horror stories from folks I do not know. They approach me while I'm on the bike to tell me of some gruesome crash that a nurse told them about. Somehow it sounds more true if you include a nurse in the mix. More often though I am told of stories by little old ladies that had that crush years ago with the bad boy on a motorcycle that their father forbid them to see or how my bike reminds them of the one they had and the adventures. Either way, motorcycles do tend to cause stories to be shared.

isaac

1 - 15 of 15 Posts