Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cutting with a 1023e and a 5 foot finish mower. I usually cut around 2700 rpm. I have some areas that I have to go slower across. Should I stay at same rpm and less pedal or lower rpm and full pedal? In other words, is it ok to regulate my speed by not using a full pedal down?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
You set your engine speed to run the PTO at your desired speed (in this case 540 PTO RPMs) and regulate ground speed with your hydro pedal. A geared tractor you’d select the correct ground speed for with the gears, that’s why manual tractors have so many gear selections.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You set your engine speed to run the PTO at your desired speed (in this case 540 PTO RPMs) and regulate ground speed with your hydro pedal. A geared tractor you’d select the correct ground speed for with the gears, that’s why manual tractors have so many gear selections.
That means running the tractor at 3200 rpms which seems excessive since I cut the fields at least weekly. I guess I was trying to be conservative.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That means running the tractor at 3200 rpms which seems excessive since I cut the fields at least weekly. I guess I was trying to be conservative.
That means you are sacrificing blade speed, and probably ending up with a sub-par cut when compared with a proper rpm cut.

The engine is made to run at that speed, diesels love constant load at their rated rpm, don't be concerned with running it within its design limits.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
3200 RPM is what the tractor and implements are designed to work at. Anything less is putting forces on the machine they were not designed for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.