Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size row spacing are you using for a 1026r and a one row Culitvator? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am going to purchase a one row Culitvator this year and I can either do a 18" row spacing or 30" row spacing with my calculations . What do most people use with their cultivator?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you want to straddle one row, 36" will be perfectly centered.
You can verify by measuring center to center on the rear tires (or left edge to left edge on the rear tires for example).

I tend to plant corn at 32-34" because I know I'll still be able to fit. I may even go as narrow as 30" this year.

You can take a look at my videos to see the 1025R in action with corn and potatoes.

The biggest issue is ground clearance. There just isn't much clearance with the 1-series.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm wondering the same. I wish to continue to cultivate with the tractor after the plants are too tall to drive over. If I make my rows 72" center to center, and my bedded rows 24" wide, I think I can still get the tractor through them. I plan to start with 4 or 5 rows around 40 foot long and see what happens. I don't know if it'll work, but that's what I'm thinking. We've had "small" gardens in the past, but nothing like this. Now I've got a Tractor....:greentractorride:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'm wondering the same. I wish to continue to cultivate with the tractor after the plants are too tall to drive over. If I make my rows 72" center to center, and my bedded rows 24" wide, I think I can still get the tractor through them. I plan to start with 4 or 5 rows around 40 foot long and see what happens. I don't know if it'll work, but that's what I'm thinking. We've had "small" gardens in the past, but nothing like this. Now I've got a Tractor....:greentractorride:
Drifter,

Do you have a tiller? You could till between the rows of you put them that far apart. There is a guy on YouTube who does that (webcajun).

The 1-series is only 48 inches wide. I would think you could put your rows closer than 72"

Tim

·
Registered
163 Posts
Drifter,

Do you have a tiller? You could till between the rows of you put them that far apart. There is a guy on YouTube who does that (webcajun).

The 1-series is only 48 inches wide. I would think you could put your rows closer than 72"

Tim[/QUOTE]

Hello Tim,

I do not have a tiller but do have a 5 foot disc that will work for a while. My thinking is that with 72" rows I will have 12" on each side of the tractor to the row center for the plants to grow into. I am building a cultivator with two tool bars somewhat like yours and plan on using 8 s-tines wit 9" sweeps for cultivation. My thought is to cultivate the "right" side of the "row" on left side of the tractor, and the "left" side of the row on the "right" side. Then turn around and do the next row. If it doesn't work than it will not be the first time I've failed, but hat's call "Trial and Error".... :dunno: Either way I'm doing something on the tractor.

P.S. Tim, I love the videos!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I do not have a tiller but do have a 5 foot disc that will work for a while.
I feel the need to spend someone else's money! You could likely sell that disk for almost as much as you could buy a used tiller.
Having used both, there is NO comparison. The tiller will do everything a 5' 3 pt disk will do, and do it better. Would be different if you were talking about a large agricultural disk, but for these lighter smaller disks, there is no comparison in my opinion.

They also work quite differently. The disk tends to compact the soil while the tiller lifts it and fluffs it more.

Tim

·
Registered
163 Posts
I feel the need to spend someone else's money! You could likely sell that disk for almost as much as you could buy a used tiller.
Having used both, there is NO comparison. The tiller will do everything a 5' 3 pt disk will do, and do it better. Would be different if you were talking about a large agricultural disk, but for these lighter smaller disks, there is no comparison in my opinion.

They also work quite differently. The disk tends to compact the soil while the tiller lifts it and fluffs it more.

Tim

It's a $250 disc. I don't think I"ll find a tiller for that price, but I do plan to add a tiller to the implement row. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts