Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been considering a Gator for the farm but stumbled into some very positive press on a new product to hit the streets - Mahindra Roxor. Price is about the same as one of the higher end Gators. Anyone on the forum buy one and what is the experience with them?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Looks great, would love to test drive one

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I saw an article on the in popular mechanics. The look nice, but I would never buy one.

I have never had much luck with anything indian made, especially metals and metal products.

·
Administrator
17,135 Posts

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
Have been considering a Gator for the farm but stumbled into some very positive press on a new product to hit the streets - Mahindra Roxor. Price is about the same as one of the higher end Gators. Anyone on the forum buy one and what is the experience with them?
if ur looking at the ones that look like the old willeys jeeps--u might as well spend ur money on a real live jeep. for the same amount of money u can run ur jeep on the highway with insurance and licences. now i'm talking like a hypocrite-huh-as i'm about to bite the bullet on a jd gator-but it does have a cab and wiper on it

yamaha shop has them sitting outside on display as i've drove by-just never stopped because of no dump bed on back-so..................:dunno:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I cant say I see the appeal of something like this.
If you want an off road vehicle, Jeeps arent hard to find, and arent too expensive used. Then you can drive it on the road to and from where you want to off road.
If you want a small vehicle for your own property, this might work, but doesnt seem nearly as handy as a Gator or similar vehicle with a dump bed.
Serious question:
To those that are interested in one, what am I missing?

·
Administrator
20,308 Posts
I saw an article on the in popular mechanics. The look nice, but I would never buy one.

I have never had much luck with anything indian made, especially metals and metal products.
PM said they are assembled here and they are working towards a American parts content of over 50% to claim American made.

Serious question:
To those that are interested in one, what am I missing?
They are fairly cheap starting at $15k. Compare that to a side by side, it's very competitive. It's basically a Jeep copy but they are careful not to say or claim that. It's a Willys Jeep counterpart that they have been licensed to build. 62HP turbo diesel engine, 45MPH, with the ability to go anywhere but on the road (legally). Tons of aftermarket goodies to fit them because of the existing market. I can see how these would become popular.

·
Registered
11,283 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,125 Posts
PM said they are assembled here and they are working towards a American parts content of over 50% to claim American made.

They are fairly cheap starting at $15k. Compare that to a side by side, it's very competitive. It's basically a Jeep copy but they are careful not to say or claim that. It's a Willys Jeep counterpart. 45HP diesel, 45MPH, with the ability to go anywhere but on the road. Tons of aftermarket goodies to fit them because of the existing market. I can see how these would become popular.

I agree. I think of how many times I've thought or said how I can't believe the money people will pour into a side by side then add just as much money in aftermarket goodies. So why would this be any different, people will do it.

I don't know if I like the Roxor or not. I certainly have no need for one. However, unless Mahindra has some right to Jeep/Willys, etc. , in today's day and age, how could this thing have gotten this far under the radar, it makes no sense to me.:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Cargo payload capacity of 349 lbs? That's it? :dunno:

Sounds like it might work for riding the fence line looking for holes. But you'd need something else if you want to do any work with it.

·
Administrator
20,308 Posts
Cargo payload capacity of 349 lbs? That's it? :dunno:

Sounds like it might work for riding the fence line looking for holes. But you'd need something else if you want to do any work with it.
Towing capacity was listed at somewhere near 3500-3900lbs I read. But the vehicle itself has only two seats and a small back "payload" area.

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
I agree. I think of how many times I've thought or said how I can't believe the money people will pour into a side by side then add just as much money in aftermarket goodies. So why would this be any different, people will do it.

I don't know if I like the Roxor or not. I certainly have no need for one. However, unless Mahindra has some right to Jeep/Willys, etc. , in today's day and age, how could this thing have gotten this far under the radar, it makes no sense to me.:dunno:
Me either. Jeep successfully fought General Motors over the grille design of the civilian Humvee. I didn't understand that at all, because the original Humvee was built by AM General, a subsidiary of American Motors Corporation. At some point General Motors bought AM General, but apparently did not give them the license to use the grille design. The Humvee became popular because of publicity during the first Persian Gulf War, which is when GM put them on the civilian market. I'm sure GM they planned on success like Willys found with the CJ-2A Jeep after WWII.

We have read stories on GTT about parts availability, dealer service and warranty problems for Mahindra tractors. Why would this venture be any different?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I kind of like them, but I would be scared of them because they are India built.
Another problem that I see (at least in Minnesota) is that it is too heavy to be licensed as a side by side for Ag or recreational purposes. So you can’t license it as a car, and you can’t license it as a recreational vehicle.
Without the DNR recreational license in Minnesota, you wouldn’t be able to use it for hunting...Even on your own property!!! You could literally just drive it around on your own property. No running around on the road or state trails either.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Without the DNR recreational license in Minnesota, you wouldn’t be able to use it for hunting...Even on your own property!!!
Could you expand on this ? I'm curious how the DNR regulates what vehicle you use for hunting, on your own property. Sounds crazy to me. I can understand on state, or national forest lands but, your own private property..?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Could you expand on this ? I'm curious how the DNR regulates what vehicle you use for hunting, on your own property. Sounds crazy to me. I can understand on state, or national forest lands but, your own private property..?
The licensing of ATVs falls under the jurisdiction of the DNR. They require all ATVs used for used for recreational purposes to have have a recreational license. They want to be able to identify any vehicle that you are putting fish or game in, or using to take fish and game.
I guess it’s no different than them telling you that you have to wear orange on your own property. All fish and game laws are enforced on private property. Like they say in the UK...the deer belong to the Queen:laugh:
The law also states that a conservation officer can enter any land, building or vehicle (public or private), without a warrant or permission, to enforce game laws.:nunu:

Been that way a long time in Minnesota, and I suspect other states too.

It’s kind of an interesting thing from a constitutional law perspective, but I sure don’t have the balls to put it to a test...the DNR Likes to seize things...especially nice things.:gizmo:

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
The licensing of ATVs falls under the jurisdiction of the DNR. They require all ATVs used for used for recreational purposes to have have a recreational license. They want to be able to identify any vehicle that you are putting fish or game in, or using to take fish and game.
I guess it’s no different than them telling you that you have to wear orange on your own property. All fish and game laws are enforced on private property. Like they say in the UK...the deer belong to the Queen:laugh:
The law also states that a conservation officer can enter any land, building or vehicle (public or private), without a warrant or permission, to enforce game laws.:nunu:

It’s kind of an interesting thing from a constitutional law perspective, but I sure don’t have the balls to put it to a test...the DNR Likes to seize things...especially nice things.:gizmo:
it gets kinda nuts around here in hunting season. if I BUY A GATOR--it will have a tag on it too. our 4 wheelers had tags back in 2001, thats only good to ride on certain areas of the state-like on 4 wheeler trails here. now heck there are more snow mobile trails 5 miles from my house i could ride on, than 4 wheeler trails-i have to trailer them over 50 miles-i think-roughly that many. i gave up after the 2nd yr or how ever many the tag was good for back then.

when hunting season starts here i will be trailing the gator to my aunts 150 some acre home. its only 4 and half miles but don't want game wardens around me. sucks huh.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I kind of like them, but I would be scared of them because they are India built.
Another problem that I see (at least in Minnesota) is that it is too heavy to be licensed as a side by side for Ag or recreational purposes. So you can’t license it as a car, and you can’t license it as a recreational vehicle.
Without the DNR recreational license in Minnesota, you wouldn’t be able to use it for hunting...Even on your own property!!! You could literally just drive it around on your own property. No running around on the road or state trails either.
A few updates. They are being built in Detroit. Now here are a couple interesting angles: Some companies are selling kits to make them street legal and there is one firm out there who claims they can get get them registered for road. Here is a quote from their web site:

"It doesn't matter what state you live in. DirtLegal.com can deliver a street legal tag for your ROXOR by sifting through all the legal mombo jumbo and delivering a tag to you. Its so easy your not even required to get your ROXOR state inspected, they are just that good! So, in about a months time you could be riding your ROXOR to town without fear. Want to learn more. Check out DirtLegal.com. Be sure to use the "TEAMROXOR" discount code mentioned below!"

·
Registered
143 Posts

It's certainly not unusual for a state to require licensing of recreational vehicles. See that a lot across the country. Virginia does not require registration of ATV's, or Snowmobiles. You can't drive an atv on state land, or national forest. Here (Virginia), you can't hunt (shoot) from a vehicle anyways, unless you are disabled, & have the appropriate designation.

Conservation officers have pretty broad ability to enforce game laws here as well. However, "probable cause" is required to enter private property. They of course, violate this all the time, & are rarely challenged on it, given tremendous liberty, & interpretation of the definition by local courts. Lots of constitutional law questions. However, most folks that get caught up in their webs, don't have the resources to fight the constitutional issues, & or, are guilty of some other infraction, & play along to reduce their punishment.

The best policy is obviously, obey all the game laws. However, I'm not much on Conservation officers running around my woods (or anybody else's for that matter) because they feel like it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
A few updates. They are being built in Detroit. Now here are a couple interesting angles: Some companies are selling kits to make them street legal and there is one firm out there who claims they can get get them registered for road. Here is a quote from their web site:

"It doesn't matter what state you live in. DirtLegal.com can deliver a street legal tag for your ROXOR by sifting through all the legal mombo jumbo and delivering a tag to you. Its so easy your not even required to get your ROXOR state inspected, they are just that good! So, in about a months time you could be riding your ROXOR to town without fear. Want to learn more. Check out DirtLegal.com. Be sure to use the "TEAMROXOR" discount code mentioned below!"
I wouldn't put much faith in a company that doesn't know the difference between your and you're.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts