Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rounding out my stable of implements for my 1023E. I have done my best to purchase used stuff and stay within the recommended size of attachments that work with the machines lower 15 PTO horsepower. My brush hog- the Frontier RC2048 is rated for 18hp. The 1023E runs that attachment well so I am not sure if I should be that worried about running a Tiller rated for 18 HP

None the less- a used 48" JD 647 tiller is for sale locally for $2k and the dealer I purchased my tractor from has a new 42" Frontier RT3042 for sale for $1500.

I try my best to search old threads before creating new. But sometimes I am limited of advice on the lesser powered 1023E.

Happy to hear anyones thoughts on if I should consider the cheaper and smaller tiller. I plan to use the tiller for some grading projects and a garden bed down the road. Just typical use, so the cost variance is small and doesn't play that much of an issue in my decision. I just want to purchase an attachment that I can fully use with the limited HP

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It can run the 48" just fine. The 42 might leave tire tracks.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Love my 647!
My old 112 square fender with 10HP runs a 36” tiller without any problems too. Your 1023 will be fine with either. But the 42” won’t cover your tracks

·
Premium Member
18,093 Posts
I would NOT buy the 42" with me having wheel spacers , I would like to have a 54" instead of the Bush Hog 48"

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Love my 647!
My old 112 square fender with 10HP runs a 36” tiller without any problems too. Your 1023 will be fine with either. But the 42” won’t cover your tracks
I have never had a problem with either of my Deere tiller and suspect the frontier would be fine as well.

I would go wider just for the tire track issue. I have the 665 Deere and a 48” on my 400. My dealer was skeptical of the 665 for the 2038R and I couldn’t figure out why because I used to run a 36 on my 112 as well and 48 on the 20hp 400. It runs just fine but it works it harder than the others because I didn’t realize how fast it would spin compared to the others. It is like a stalk chopper back there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts