Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

We're making some new rubber cutting edges for the 54 Plow. They are double sided for twice the use and made of the same material used on full size highway plows. They will come with the needed longer hardware to sandwich it between your metal cutting edge and the plow blade.

If you have seal coated asphalt this "squeegee" is a sweet addition. It's perfectly quiet, doesn't leave a single scratch on the blacktop, and leaves a pristine surface (depending on several factors). The kits are expected to go for around $45. Anyone interested, shoot me an email or call since they aren't yet on the website.

Note: The hardware will be very similar to the OEM hardware, though longer, not like the ones in the photo.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,449 Posts
You need to stop with all the need to buy, nice to have, have to have, cool items.:lol::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just a little experience report. I did put a similar edge onto my rear blade, and fastened it in the same manner as described here. I found out that the rubber needs some extra support/stiffening in the back, because the plow/blade metal is not far enough down to prevent the rubber from bending slightly.
I made an extension to my blade to get a seven food wide blade, and this extension has a longer back. The rubber at the normal blade side is unsuported in the back for about three inches, and at the extension it is unsupported by about one inch. The three inch free side is clearly bend to the back. Once the weather allows it, i'll make some pictures to show this (it is 8 below currently and I will not set up for a photo shoot!).

I feel it would be a good idea to add a longer back support to this kit.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a little experience report. I did put a similar edge onto my rear blade, and fastened it in the same manner as described here. I found out that the rubber needs some extra support/stiffening in the back, because the plow/blade metal is not far enough down to prevent the rubber from bending slightly.
I made an extension to my blade to get a seven food wide blade, and this extension has a longer back. The rubber at the normal blade side is unsuported in the back for about three inches, and at the extension it is unsupported by about one inch. The three inch free side is clearly bend to the back. Once the weather allows it, i'll make some pictures to show this (it is 8 below currently and I will not set up for a photo shoot!).

I feel it would be a good idea to add a longer back support to this kit.
Try a stiffer material.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Try a stiffer material.
I have a one inch thick, commercially made edge (I think they use belt material for this), I don't believe there is stiffer material. I will take a few picture during one of the next few days (it is supposed to warm up really well around here, all the way up to 17 degrees!

I just wanted to share my experience. You are currently still in the design phase, and can make modifications. I know that you do not want to make half a*** jobs!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd be interested when the time comes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used a 1"thick by 6" high. Cutting edge to replace the wimpy original design, I added two more trip springs and also added a 8"
Top extension to the plow. I do not use skids. I have rarely had problems with hard paved surfaces.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be interested when the time comes.
Hi All,

The Snow Squeegee, Plow Adapters, and the Diverter Valve Kits are now up on the web although the page is not yet tied in with the rest of the site. The Diverters are listed as being in stock but might be a few days away from shipping. And speaking of shipping, some of the shipping options during checkout may not be optimized. If there are any better methods available than what show up, any orders will be updated and refunded any savings, as usual. And also as usual, if the website undercharges the actual shipping cost, it's generally our problem, not yours.

Take a look! You guys will be the first to see it. :greentractorride:

54 Plow Products

Please feel free to offer any criticism/feedback on the web page. There's quite a lot of information to digest there. Believe me, I know!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Anyone looking to retro fit their JD garden/lawn tractor 48" blade with the squeegee will find the bolt spacings the same as the 54". As with the "official" and not reversable JD rubber all that is required is the shortening of both ends for a 48".

I have a JD squeegee on my '04 GX 48" and it's wishing it could be reversed for further wear...

Pricing and reversability considered, the Artillian part wins hands down over JD's. Wish I'da known around last April...:laugh:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"Anyone looking to retro fit their JD garden/lawn tractor 48" blade with the squeegee will find the bolt spacings the same as the 54". As with the "official" and not reversable JD rubber all that is required is the shortening of both ends for a 48"."

To amend my previous post, the "old" and "new" JD cutting edges are DIFFERENT. I had to cut off 3" on each end to fit my 48" blade, but all the bolt holes lined up. Obviously JD has a "new" spacing on current 54" edges and won't fit 48" edges any longer.

Truly sorry for any confusion, however, not responsible for reimbursment to any fool that took my advice!:laugh:

·
Registered
39 Posts
What kind of life expectancy should be expected from the squeegee?

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of life expectancy should be expected from the squeegee?
HI Big J Deere,

The life expectancy if these squeegees can vary like the life expectancy of tractors. It depends on how they are used and treated.

Take another look at the Artillian website when you get a chance. There's a newer video added at the top of the page for the 54 Plow that shows the squeegee in use on a few different surfaces.

Also, if you are concerned about life expectancy, there is also now another cutting edge made out of UHMW instead of rubber. It should be very long lasting. It's shown right next to the rubber squeegee on the website:

54 Plow Products

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Chris.

Was just curious what others have experienced for wear with a rubber cutting edge.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just thinking out load here.

Two years ago I started using the Tractor Supply rubber stall matt as my rubber cutting edge. I have had no issues with it other than wanting to remove it every now and than when ice patches build up on the driveway (asphalt 3 years old). During these times I would rather use the metal cutting edge on various spots.

Which leads me to thinking, it would be nice to have quick discount bolts to be able to switch back and fourth rather quickly. I realize the use of an impact gun or various other methods will speed up the process of changing out the rubber edge, but using something similar to the picture would require no tools.

The attachment is just something that I googled (it is actually used as a quick discount for batteries).

May or may not be a good suggestion but figured it would at least get the wheels turning and something positive may come of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
My first thought is to figure out why you are getting ice and what you need to change to prevent it.
Good question.

I'm getting the build mainly in the spots that my wife and I drive over before I get to plow. The snow packs down and the rubber cutting edge is not lifting it off of the service. Than it turns into ice if the temps stay the same or drop. I try my best to plow before we need to drive on the surface but sometimes Mother Nature gets the best of me.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good question.
I'm getting the build mainly in the spots that my wife and I drive over before I get to plow. The snow packs down and the rubber cutting edge is not lifting it off of the service. Than it turns into ice if the temps stay the same or drop. I try my best to plow before we need to drive on the surface but sometimes Mother Nature gets the best of me.

:whip:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
No driving allowed until it's plowed!

:beer:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts