Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the JD 54" blade with 18" extensions. Basically a 6 ft blade. Had anyone replaced there metal wear bar with rubber? Results?
My situation the only concrete I need to clean off is a 70'x20' drive in front of my house. The rest is a 300' rock driveway going out to the road. The metal wear bars are still in new shape since the plow is two years old and only used it twice to push snow.
I want to clean off my driveway without damaging the concrete.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know Sulleybear on the SCUT forum has a 1025 with a plow and he runs a rubber edge on his blade and he does a lot of plowing with good results. might want to check with him, send him a message, Dave

·
Registered
741 Posts
Reactions: rw580

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
I have the JD 54" blade with 18" extensions. Basically a 6 ft blade. Had anyone replaced there metal wear bar with rubber? Results?
My situation the only concrete I need to clean off is a 70'x20' drive in front of my house. The rest is a 300' rock driveway going out to the road. The metal wear bars are still in new shape since the plow is two years old and only used it twice to push snow.
Quite a few members here have done this. Not so much a replacement but under the steel cutting edge.

·
Premium Member
15,037 Posts
I know Sulleybear on the SCUT forum has a 1025 with a plow and he runs a rubber edge on his blade and he does a lot of plowing with good results. might want to check with him, send him a message, Dave
Last time I checked concrete is a hard surface ,,unless you sit and spin with chains on your tractor it does not damage your concrete using a metal cutting edge. 2 sections of our concrete drive is close to 44 yrs old , when the city water was installed they cut out a section of the upper part concrete was still 3 1/4" thick compared to the 3 1/2" when it was installed . I have used a metal cutting edge on driveway , not up on the little tiny feet .

Used a 6" wide 3/4"thick piece of reinforced belting on each side of the blade to make blade wider. It worked but if I tried cleaning a place where it had been driven on the outer rubber edge would just float up over that part of snow. So still needed to come back and put the blade down and catch that part of snow the metal cutting edge.

Just my 2 cents save your money :dunno:

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Looks good. Looks like you cut it wide enough to be able to flip it when it wears down.:good2:

I used belting from Tractor Supply.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Artillian sells synthetic blades that are pre-drilled and include hardware. They are reversible. I got 2 years on one side of the most rigid one, now I'm on the other side. I have a very large concrete driveway and also plow the main road with it.

Link here.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Artillian sells synthetic blades that are pre-drilled and include hardware. They are reversible. I got 2 years on one side of the most rigid one, now I'm on the other side. I have a very large concrete driveway and also plow the main road with it.

Link here.
I have an Artillian rubber blade as well. The factory metal edge bolts over top of it but the rubber edge hangs down further.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I have been using rubber cutting edges on my snow blades for many years. I started out cutting strips from stall mats. I found that those did not last very long, because the rubber is not very strong. The recycled mats are meant to lay flat on the floor. They are not designed to do a lot of flexing.

A few years ago I started using strips from 1" thick conveyor belts. I have not had to replace one of those yet.

Other positives from using the rubber cutting edge is not scratching up the concrete or asphalt drives like the steel edges do. The rubber cutting edge does not grab every little offset in the drive like a steel edge does.
I have not had to buy or rebuild skid shoes since I started using the rubber cutting edges.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
IMHO a rubber edge is one of the best additions one can make to a blade, be it a front blade or a rear blade (like mine). I plow some areas of my yard for the the dog to do her business. I find the rubber edge just rides over the grass with no damage to the turf. Another benefit of the rubber edge is that it makes the blade much quieter when working on asphalt or concrete. Someone care to chime in on how a rubber edge works on gravel?:dunno:

Reactions: PaDave and Gizmo2

·
Registered
108 Posts
Last time I checked concrete is a hard surface ,,unless you sit and spin with chains on your tractor it does not damage your concrete using a metal cutting edge. 2 sections of our concrete drive is close to 44 yrs old , when the city water was installed they cut out a section of the upper part concrete was still 3 1/4" thick compared to the 3 1/2" when it was installed . I have used a metal cutting edge on driveway , not up on the little tiny feet .
Many times the steel particles get embedded in the pores and rust stains the concrete forever.

My Normand snowblower has options for stainless steel or some very tough plastic.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been using rubber cutting edges on my snow blades for many years. I started out cutting strips from stall mats. I found that those did not last very long, because the rubber is not very strong. The recycled mats are meant to lay flat on the floor. They are not designed to do a lot of flexing.

A few years ago I started using strips from 1" thick conveyor belts. I have not had to replace one of those yet.

Other positives from using the rubber cutting edge is not scratching up the concrete or asphalt drives like the steel edges do. The rubber cutting edge does not grab every little offset in the drive like a steel edge does.
I have not had to buy or rebuild skid shoes since I started using the rubber cutting edges.
Speaking of conveyor belt. I found someone how sells cutting edges made from conveyor belt. They will even drill the holes for free.
Rubber Wear Strip

·
Registered
741 Posts
Here's a photo of the FallLine Polyurethane edge on my Cub. I don't think you could go wrong with either a poly or heavy rubber edge. I'm not sure which would last longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Hopefully not derailing the thread...

I just bought a blade for my FEL. I've gone to Tractor Supply and bought a stall mat with the intention of putting a "rubber blade" for snow plowing, but haven't gotten around to it yet. (I haven't had time and we haven't had enough snow yet to even mount the blade.)

My plan for the stall mat is to cut it 2" wider than the actual cutting edge on the blade. That way it sticks out 1" below the edge (which is what people have been recommending) and then I can flip it when the time comes.

BUT... I'm also thinking about getting an HDPE edge. Not definite yet, but thinking about it. I'm going to a conference at the end of this month where there will be vendors in the trade show area that sell these things to municipalities. They generally have some "show specials" so I will price some there and see how much sticker shock I have. :laugh: My question is this - If I go with an HDPE blade, should it be the same size as the current, steel cutting edge? Or should it be wider? I think it should be the same since since it's going to replace the steel edge, whereas the rubber piece will be sandwiched between the steel and the blade itself. Wrong - or right? :dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rubber wear strip

Where do you find 1" conveyor belt? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Where do you find 1" conveyor belt? Thanks in advance.

Three posts above yours, the stuff is great I have ordered from them as well.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts