Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I parked my 1025R behind my garage on a small slope . Left tractor in L and no park brake. heard a big crash an hour later and tractor had rolled downhill about 100 feet backwards while still in forward L gear (engine off)
Made some strange noises when starting but still seems to work ok. Does anyone think there may be damage to transmission?
Thanks DOH!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hmm... I hafta stare at schematic but... you made the hydrostatic motor function as a pump (by driving it backwards, right?) does anybody know what that does?? does it open overpressure ports or something?
Reminds me of a 2440 at Tufts I parked at the top of a 10' embankment bordering the service road (Jumbo Drive by the old Bull Barn IYCTK), in neutral with the parking brake on (which we were supposed to do) not knowing someone had burned the brake out by leaving it on underway (which we werent supposed to do). Was in the loft pitching bales for the morning chores when the tractor got lonely and followed me down the hill... Because I had put the bucket on the ground (which you should always do) it was only in the air through the rolloff the crest of the hill. then it bottomed out on the concrete walkway= bend bucket and a tractor I had to tow uphill with another 4WD (a Ford TW-30 no less!!). Had the bucket been up She'd have made a new doorway and plopped into the depressed bull pens inside, and I would be explaining to the farm Director...Oh yeah, as usual was the only one on the farm of a Saturday morning:flag_of_truce:
Lessons? always ground your hydraulics if you can
dont trust what others have done to your tractor!!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
So yesterday I parked my 1025R behind my garage on a small slope . Left tractor in L and no park brake. heard a big crash an hour later and tractor had rolled downhill about 100 feet backwards while still in forward L gear (engine off)
Made some strange noises when starting but still seems to work ok. Does anyone think there may be damage to transmission?
Thanks DOH!
They say never tow a hydrostatic drive tractor without placing in neutral or using the appropriate method to put the hydraulic circuit into bypass. I'd recommend you use it and pay attention to any noises or performance issues. Hopefully you'll be A-OK. :hi:

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
It probably took all hour to move that distance. I don’t know enough about it to say for sure one way or the other, but if it was possible to drive that way under just gravity net the engine compressive load, I’m thinking it’s okay.

Important safety tip, however. I didn’t know that was possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
That's happened to at least two members here that I can remember...ETcallhome and PSRumors, neither has reported any tranny issues tat I can recall.

Some searching might turn up their threads.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It probably took all hour to move that distance. I don’t know enough about it to say for sure one way or the other, but if it was possible to drive that way under just gravity net the engine compressive load, I’m thinking it’s okay.

Important safety tip, however. I didn’t know that was possible.

Unfortunately it took all of about 10 seconds as while it was a gentle slope at the start it went steep very quickly and I heard the whole journey. I didn’t know what happened at the time but it sounded like someone threw aluminium ladders down the stairs. Was too busy today to try it again but will keep everyone updated shortly.

Thank you to everybody for your input. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Unfortunately it took all of about 10 seconds as while it was a gentle slope at the start it went steep very quickly and I heard the whole journey. I didn’t know what happened at the time but it sounded like someone threw aluminium ladders down the stairs. Was too busy today to try it again but will keep everyone updated shortly.

Thank you to everybody for your input. Fingers crossed.
Hmm... I read your original post as “an hour later”, what happened for the first 59 minutes to make it all the sudden take off?

Just trying to get a picture of what happened here.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Just speculating here. My advice sucks but I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut so here goes nothing.

From my understanding of a hydrostatic drive system, it’s basically a box full of hydraulic fluid with 2-4 ports with valves. Push the forward pedal, and one port opens while the other closes, making the tractor go forward. Push the reverse pedal and the other valve opens and closes the forward port. When not pushing any pedal, both valves are open halfway creating equal hydraulic pressure in the box and the tractor doesn’t move unless that balance is disrupted. Leaving it on an incline probably forced an imbalance in the block and pushed the reverse ports open a little making it roll backwards. This should be a closed system, and unless it accelerated beyond normal capacity, it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'd just run it, i bet it's completely OK.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Its likely fine.
The issue with towing or pushing hydro driven equipment is when there is still pressure in the system, bad things can happen.
Once you relieve the pressure, by a release lever or other process, they can be pushed or pulled just fine, and most manuals state this, and the procedure for doing so.

That said, leaving a hydro anything in gear is NOT a parking brake. It will not hold, as you obviously found out.
It will hold only until the pressure relieves itself, then it lets go, and away she goes, as you also found out.
Hopefully all is fine, and hopefully everyone else who was doing this learns a lesson before something really bad happens.

They have parking brakes for a reason....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Its likely fine.
The issue with towing or pushing hydro driven equipment is when there is still pressure in the system, bad things can happen.
Once you relieve the pressure, by a release lever or other process, they can be pushed or pulled just fine, and most manuals state this, and the procedure for doing so.

That said, leaving a hydro anything in gear is NOT a parking brake. It will not hold, as you obviously found out.
It will hold only until the pressure relieves itself, then it lets go, and away she goes, as you also found out.
Hopefully all is fine, and hopefully everyone else who was doing this learns a lesson before something really bad happens.

They have parking brakes for a reason....
Just an update for everyone who have so kindly responded. Everything is working as intended and there seems to be no issues yet. Looks like you guys are correct that when the pressures equalize between the valves then off she went.
After reading the other post about another tractor that went downhill backwards into a tree and did $2500 damage, I am glad my backhoe was onto take the brunt of the impact. Me thinks my park rake will be getting a lot more use in the future.

Cheers, Keith

·
Premium Member
14,718 Posts
Glad to hear your tractor is OK and it should be.

I had used my parking brake (1026r) and for what ever reason it released and drifted down the slope beside the house around the back of the house into the side of my metal shed.

Had the dealer check the parking brake, of course they found no issue. I had been having issues with the mmm pto seal leaking and they couldn't seem to get it fixed. We decided to trade it in for a 1025r, since it was only 15 or 18 months old maybe 24 months the dealer kept the tractor and used it on his farm for over a year and no issues with the hydrostat plus they finally found out what they had been doing wrong replacing the seal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts