Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was out on the back ,40 working with the box blade clearing some vines saplings and stumps.....I had just made a run pushing some junk backwards and lifted my blade and went forward.....all of a sudden a stump root came up through the floorboard, jammed in between the throttle peddle, and away we go......brake wouldn't work, so being the quick thinker I am, I just shut off the engine. I got off, pulled the stump loose and surveyed the damage. nothing major, just a piece of floorboard about 6x6 or so.....I might be able to fit it back in and mend it if I take the shroud for the console off, it appears to wrap around and cover that part of the floorboard. there doesn't seem to be any problem other than that. :unknown:
guess it thought it was taller although that's the second time I got something wedged into the throttle pedal. guess I have to be a little more careful

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
What tractor?

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Wow! And I thought I was hard on equipment! :empathy:

Glad it wasn't worse.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
Wasn't there another person on this forum that had a big piece of wood get shoved up into his floor and do the same thing?

·
Administrator
20,849 Posts
Wasn't there another person on this forum that had a big piece of wood get shoved up into his floor and do the same thing?
I remember somebody stabbed their transmission input shaft seal with a stick. Don't remember who....:unknown:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Clearing can be some of the most dangerous work you do with equipment. I know I've had a few close calls in the past on large equipment clearing land. Glad to hear it didn't tear things up too bad or worse yet, tear you up. :good2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all was going good then I guess I got a little complacent and up through the floorboard it came. more of a surprise than danger. easily controlled situation, just a bit of a surprise. maybe i'll install some steel plating in the floorboard....surprised me because it was not that rough an area.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Those pedals DO hang out there in outer space and there was lively discussion of this about 6 mos. or so ago including a comment myself. No guards on directional linkages I would think could come under the heading of "Poorly Thought Out Design". They have most other controls tucked in out of the way and guards (and safety warning stickers) on everything else on the machine. Just one of them "green things"...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! And I thought I was hard on equipment! :empathy:

Glad it wasn't worse.
i'm not really hard on it.....I just use it robustly:greentractorride: . if I wanted just a lawn mower, I would have gotten another craftsman. Its already cleared about 3/4 acres and brought in @ 5 cord of firewood and handled about 4 more, skidded logs to the processing area and cleared snow this winter....all in just a little over 30 hrs on the meter :whip:.

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Those pedals DO hang out there in outer space and there was lively discussion of this about 6 mos. or so ago including a comment myself. No guards on directional linkages I would think could come under the heading of "Poorly Thought Out Design". They have most other controls tucked in out of the way and guards (and safety warning stickers) on everything else on the machine. Just one of them "green things"...
Agree with you, on POORLY Thought Out Design". Told the sales lady almost the same thing ,the night I bought the 1026r . What was they thinking on the floor board design ?

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I believe the direction control system on JD's is plainly superior to "other brands" for operation, it's just... "naked". So, when we look at the brochures and we drool over the TV commercials and smell them in the dealer's showroom one could lose sight of WHO these machines are marketed toward:

>Owners of nicely groomed estates.

>Owners of slick flat lawns that run for miles in counties that look like Heaven.

>Slick dressed backhoe operators working in the middle of an open fields.

>Society ladies doing loader work carrying sterilized fake bark chips to well bordered tree plantings.

The fact that we're going to use them in "real life" is not factored into the advertisement, so one could argue JD didn't have any "off road/rough use" in mind where the external pedal linkage design was concerned. JD believes that one should not be operating in ground rougher than the height a 1026/DOD deck will cut grass. (Heh, heh... WRONG!):laugh:

I don't think I've seen a TV commercial or brochure picture showing an in the woods mud stuck machine being unstuck with the hoe/loader by a dirty and sweaty operator or log towing 10XX series machines working in brush woods or for that matter my "unwashed/unwaxed" preferred tractor.:laugh: Heck, at least Jeep and Ford ads show their SUV drivers happily foaming at the mouth while their getting the products dirty (but NEVER stuck)!:laugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts