Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently bought a 5055e with 240 loader (quick attach model). Wondering if it's possible (and/or advisable) to run a line from the rear hydraulics to the front for things like a grapple, etc. Anyone have experience with this? What would an alternative be to get additional hydraulics to the front?

Peace and blessings.

·
Administrator
21,621 Posts
Welcome to GTT,
This is done all the time, in fact JD has a kit to do that on some machines. Not sure about yours though but I can check later.

We are working on kit now for the 3 and 4 series using 1/4 hose, will add one for 3/8 hose later. I have no way to take measurements on a 5 series, but would be happy to help get you what you need if you want to get your hands dirty. Or maybe your close to Westminster?

Reactions: danielgullo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to GTT,
This is done all the time, in fact JD has a kit to do that on some machines. Not sure about yours though but I can check later.
Thanks, much. I am not even sure what the official name for that is... Knowing JD, there is probably a part number or model number of some kind for that kit. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Peace and blessings.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A guy I buy round bales from has a 5105M and he has done just this.

Come to think of it, the small-frame 5E's have a 3-function loader available, and the 3rd function is run off the rear SCV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I run a grapple on my 5055e. I have really long hoses to run from the rear SCV along the loader arms to the grapple cylinders. And yes, I'd prefer the front mounted couplers, but I haven't really needed it enough to make the modification, but it's on my list of things to do eventually.

The front couplers can also be done by using an electric solenoid to use the functions of the bucket curl valve to control either the curl or the grapple cylinders.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Welcome to GTT,

We are working on kit now for the 3 and 4 series using 1/4 hose, will add one for 3/8 hose later. I have no way to take measurements on a 5 series, but would be happy to help get you what you need if you want to get your hands dirty. Or maybe your close to Westminster?
What do you need measured? I'm not currently in the market for anything third-function, but I can measure stuff if you need something for the OOS current 5055e and H240MSL

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I use one of my rear SCV for my grapple on my 2030, 245 loader combination.
I found 3rd function loader hard lines for different JD loader, rebent them to work on my 245 loader (needed to clear MSL linkage at the bucket cylinder upper mount).
I ran hoses from the rear SCV to quick couplers for removing the loader (I take it off a lot), and have quick couplers at the ends of the hard lines for the grapple hoses to connect to.
What I like most is my SCV has detents for each direction. When dumping, move the SCV lever to detent and grapple opens. When fully open, the lever pops back to neutral. Same for closing the grapple, lever to detent, grapple closes and lever pops back to neutral. Saves time holding the lever, waiting for full open or close of the grapple.

I rarely need to remove the hoses from the rear SCV, since I have a 2nd one. Only if I need them both. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have fronteir manure grapple that runs off 3rd SCV at rear. I removed grapple to move some round bales. Then replaced grapple to fill manure spreader. The hose from rear scv is attached to loader with zip ties (dealer specs). I re-attached and started working and zip ties all popped off. A little worried about where to zip tie and prevent ripping hoses off rear scv. Any help appreciated

·
Administrator
21,621 Posts
I also have fronteir manure grapple that runs off 3rd SCV at rear. I removed grapple to move some round bales. Then replaced grapple to fill manure spreader. The hose from rear scv is attached to loader with zip ties (dealer specs). I re-attached and started working and zip ties all popped off. A little worried about where to zip tie and prevent ripping hoses off rear scv. Any help appreciated
Hoses flex a lot when you pressurize them, did you use heavy ties?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just for future searchers: It's easy to run a pair of hydraulic hoses from the rear to the front of the FEL. Consider using a 90 degree angle fitting to make the connection at the rear scv. Makes routing the hoses easier. The length measurement is the critical point. I used a garden hose to simulate the route. Remember to add enough hose to allow bends at the pivots. Then simply measure the hose length needed to reach between the SCV and your attachment. Worked for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking through the previous questions I thought I might ask my question in this thread first. I am totally green as in new when it comes to working with my new 1025R loader/backhoe (2021) so any help is appreciated. Why can't a front grapple/root rake run from the rear hydraulic connection and be operated by the 3 point hitch controller? I understand this means connecting 2-16'(+ or -) hoses. If anyone can point me to a Hydraulics's 101 book, or information I can reference that would be awesome. Thanks. And please let me know if my question is not understood.

·
Administrator
21,621 Posts
Looking through the previous questions I thought I might ask my question in this thread first. I am totally green as in new when it comes to working with my new 1025R loader/backhoe (2021) so any help is appreciated. Why can't a front grapple/root rake run from the rear hydraulic connection and be operated by the 3 point hitch controller? I understand this means connecting 2-16'(+ or -) hoses. If anyone can point me to a Hydraulics's 101 book, or information I can reference that would be awesome. Thanks. And please let me know if my question is not understood.
Cliff,
The "3 point hitch controller" is not a typical valve, and there is no feasible way to attach hoses to it so as to operate a cylinder.
The "the rear hydraulic connection" is what's called "Power Beyond", it flows oil anytime the engine is running you have no control over it.

There are TONS of thread about adding grapples and such in the Hydraulics and SCUT forums (since you have a 1-series).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cliff,
The "3 point hitch controller" is not a typical valve, and there is no feasible way to attach hoses to it so as to operate a cylinder.
The "the rear hydraulic connection" is what's called "Power Beyond", it flows oil anytime the engine is running you have no control over it.

There are TONS of thread about adding grapples and such in the Hydraulics and SCUT forums (since you have a 1-series).
I understand, thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts