Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an L110 John Deere. I have problems with it staying running. It starts fine but after a few minutes it starts running like crap. It acts like its starving for gas. I bought the tune up kit - plug/air filter/fuel filter. It ran good a little longer after tune up but again, it started misfiring and running like crap. Most of the time when I shut it off, it back fires.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Does the L110 have a vented gas cap? If so make sure the vent is not plugged.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have an L110 John Deere. I have problems with it staying running. It starts fine but after a few minutes it starts running like crap. It acts like its starving for gas. I bought the tune up kit - plug/air filter/fuel filter. It ran good a little longer after tune up but again, it started misfiring and running like crap. Most of the time when I shut it off, it back fires.
Run some strong stable through it. You can get it about anyplace. It really sounds like your fuel was setting in the tractor over the winter.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I vote for a vented gas cap problem.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same thing happened with my L110, it turned out to be the carb. Take it apart and clean it out. Sounds like you have a stuck valve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
I had a similar problem with my JD 285. I changed fuel filter and no change. It ended up plastic (maybe molding flash?) was able to go through the fuel line, but too big to enter the fuel filter it would limit the fuel flow. The dealer found it after multiple fuel filter replacements did not cure the problem. They had it twice. The first time they said it was fixed and they let it sit outside and idle for several hours. I took it home and put it to work and it starved for fuel, so back it went. I told them it would idle all day fine. Drive it and make sure it will stay running at full throttle. That's when they were able to duplicate the problem and then fix it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Like others have said try running with the gas cap loose. Also, is there any debris in your tank? We've had tractors I'm the shop with the same symptoms. Runs good for a while until the fuel pickup grabs whatever is floating around and it starves it for fuel. Shut it off and it settles back down.
I had a customer put an injection pump and 6 injectors on a 8 series tractor and it was just trash in his fuel tank 😂

·
Registered
322 Posts
Several years ago, my 214 was running crappy. But not like it was starving for gas. It would start coughing and sputtering and blowing lots of black smoke. Contrary to my better judgement, a quick On/Off of the choke would get it running OK, at least for a bit. I added a fuel filter. Rebuilt the carb. New ignition parts. Nothing seemed to help. I even tried some Seafoam. Finally added an old can of Heet (gas line antifreeze) that was in my "stack of stuff" and that helped. It was a bad batch of gas from one of the few local stations that sold non-oxygenated (ethanol free) fuel. That was the first time I had tried it. Once that 4 or 5 gallons was used up, no more problems. I still use the ethanol free gas in all the small engines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i will give it a try

Run some strong stable through it. You can get it about anyplace. It really sounds like your fuel was setting in the tractor over the winter.
I emptied it last use last fall. I did not drain carb though. I started having this problem towards the end of last season, so wouldn't that tell me its not gas that sat all winter ? I am not questioning your knowledge and appreciate your reply. Do you think I should take carb apart to clean or???
But if its a carb issue why does it seem run fine...…
at first.
Any other things you can suggest?
I did run some stable w/no change btw

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you checked and adjusted the valves?
no sir I haven't. This was my fathers. He was meticulous about maintenance/servicing/cleaning.
He passed last spring and I have taken over the yard duties at my mothers. I had no issues until late last season and thought I would tune up before first use this year. Tune up helped but before I was even half done mowing same exact problems. Just now mowed for second time. OMG what a piece of sputtering popping backfiring crap. First couple minutes justfine. After that [email protected]@@##!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looking back at your original message, I passed over your note about backfiring and that is a carb issue. Buy some carb cleaner and a rebuild kit, that will be the cheapest option and probably needed anyway. Also check to see if your solenoid attached to the carb is working (power the connector directly once disconnected).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts