Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what has everyone's experience been with some non- traditional internet providers? Our area got set up with cable a couple of years ago and that's been great, but we're moving to a new property that's a little further out.

I'm looking at things like Hughes Net, Verizon's wireless setup, and I've heard one of the satellite tv companies has gotten into the market as well. What has worked well for y'all, or what would you avoid?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have had Verizon for the past 3or 4 years now.. I went from a USB device on my desk top computer that got the signal from the tower.. Worked good, got a decent 4g signal.. Last month I updated my plan and got a tablet, use it as a hotspot OR use my smart phone as a hotspot and now have a USB WIFI adaptor on my desk top.. SO, to use my desktop, I have to have the tablet or cell phone hotspot on or just use the tablet or cell phone to use internet.. So far Im pleased and my desktop is faster with the signal it gets via WIFI then what I had before..

My rate plan $ wise should be less and I gained a black tablet.. They were outta little blue pills.. :hide:

:mocking:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Everyone I've known that has had satellite internet has hated it. A friend of mine who is too far out for cable used Verizon wireless setup for a good while and really liked it other than said it was a little pricey. He recently changed to a local wireless provider and says it is the best he's had yet, both speed and price. But it has to be line-of-sight so you might or might not have something like that available.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
You might check into the area you are getting ready to move to for a local internet company.

In my area, there is a local internet company started by a group that has been in business since 2004 that will come out to the house and use an instrument to check line of site and signal strength. If those two criteria are met and you qualify, they will sign you up. Prices and packages vary.

They rent or lease tower space throughout the region here and put an antenna on your house, then run cable to a modem. You are responsible for any network or router setups.

If my Frontier phone company does not improve their equipment and reliability in my area, I will be switching to this in the Spring. One of the main reasons I have not done it yet is because of the weather.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
From my understanding of satellite the downloads are via satellite but uploads are handled through the phone. I may be wrong about this or that may be the old method of doing it. If satellite internet is anything like my FIL TV service don't expect it to work in the snow and rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I have 3 friends who had Hughes Net and all three hated it. Unreliable, very slow and a light fog would interrupt the signal. YMMV but that was their experience in North Alabama.

We have Charter cable internet out in the country where I live and it's very reliable and fast. Good luck.

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
First thing I would do at your new property is look for a cable line. There might not be one coming right on to your place but may be nearby. If you can find one I would call the local cable company to see if they can provide service. At times there has been federal money for them to extend their lines for rural properties.

I was a beta tester for Hughes Satellite when it first came out as I had no choice of internet at the time. I'm not sure how it has evolved since then but do know you have to check on the download/upload caps. I think they now have different packages for various amounts of bandwidth. If you go over your allotment you get throttled back for a while. And the upload is via satellite just like the download - no phone required.

Only heavy wet snow will affect the dish - and a quick brush with a broom fixes that. But you do need a dealer/installer come out to your place and do a quick line of site survey to see if you can grab the signal from the satellite.

Can't speak of cellular service as there is no such thing here.

If at all possible I would say that cable would be your first choice if you can get it. You'd be surprised where cable is - when they ran a line to my house a few years ago I couldn't believe it! There are probably 17 customers on a 9 mile run - no way that installation paid for itself with subscribers.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Ilmo.
There will never be cable out here. It would take 500years for ROI.:laugh:

Hughes is craptastic, and expensive. NOBODY likes dealing with them. Everybody that signed up, dumped them as soon as Verizon got a tower within range.

We were on Verizon cellular broadband for years, and paid out the nose. Speeds were good until June-August, when all the dadgum tourists swamp the towers, and you could get dropped for hours at a time. The rest of the year it was good, unless you downloaded a couple videos, and bumped into the plan limits.

A Local company put up a bunch of LOS radio towers, and when they put one in a mile NE of us, we switched. Speeds aren't real high, but enough for what we do, and unlimited data is only 50 bucks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Verizon DSL since 2007 when the company started to provide the rural parts of western Mass with DSL. I have the higher speed of 3 megs and it suits me fine, but now anything under 10 megs is not considered "high speed" service.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Only heavy wet snow will affect the dish - and a quick brush with a broom fixes that. But you do need a dealer/installer come out to your place and do a quick line of site survey to see if you can grab the signal from the satellite.
And make sure its mounted at ground level so you can reach it.. I know several people with the dish mounted up on the roof.. :mocking:

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
From my understanding of satellite the downloads are via satellite but uploads are handled through the phone. I may be wrong about this or that may be the old method of doing it. If satellite internet is anything like my FIL TV service don't expect it to work in the snow and rain.

That was back in the early days before they figured out how to build cheaper uplink transmitters.
I have been using Verizon Homefusion for 2 years, and it is very fast, and reliable, but 60 bucks a month for 10Gigs of data, so it would be too pricey to do Netflix.
I really don't have any other options except for satellite, and I think they suck pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Up here our options are:

Satellite - absolute garbage as said above. Expensive and slow. Only option if you're really in the boonies.

Rural wireless High Speed/Broadband - we have this. It's really our only choice right now. We have a wired-cage dish on our roof that is pointed at a tower. I don't fully understand it, but I seems like a really powerful router that'll cover a 10 mile or so radius. It's slow, and somewhat reliable, but I'd kill for a cable line to show up. We run about 1Mbps download, 0.2Mbps upload most days.

Soon there'll be what SaskTel calls "Fusion" - from what I can tell it's a 4G/LTE modem, but that picks up a more focused signal from the tower than does 4G phones. It's supposed to have 10+Mbps rates - which I'd be more than happy with. We'll be getting this soon.

-J.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Ilmo.
There will never be cable out here. It would take 500years for ROI.:laugh:

Hughes is craptastic, and expensive. NOBODY likes dealing with them. Everybody that signed up, dumped them as soon as Verizon got a tower within range.

We were on Verizon cellular broadband for years, and paid out the nose. Speeds were good until June-August, when all the dadgum tourists swamp the towers, and you could get dropped for hours at a time. The rest of the year it was good, unless you downloaded a couple videos, and bumped into the plan limits.

A Local company put up a bunch of LOS radio towers, and when they put one in a mile NE of us, we switched. Speeds aren't real high, but enough for what we do, and unlimited data is only 50 bucks.
FreedomNet?

·
Registered
446 Posts
All of the satellites suck. They are very expensive and they will go out in rain storms and some snow. They are limited as to how much data you can use in a month by month period. Don't even think of doing large downloads or streaming of movies or music with them. Most of the wireless phone carries do not have unlimited data either. The only way to go is with a phone or internet company who offer an unlimited data service.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
The 4G based ISP that is coming here is not tied to our cel packages, it's a separate contract, so the data cap won't apply.

-J.

·
Registered
770 Posts
FreedomNet?
Nope. I2K

FreedomNet wont even try out here. Population/customer density is too low.
I2K is a fluke because of one outlying customer had a weak signal, so it's just us two on that radio tower.:lol:
It's slow, so no streaming of anything, but better than 80 bucks a month with Verizon and no streaming.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
4 years ago, all that was available out here was dial up. (The joys of rural living!!) It was OK, if you had never experienced anything better. Downloads or uploads? Just start them and go to bed!

3 years ago, cell service became reliable enough here for a 4G card. But, while mostly reliable, the speed was a tick up from dial up. (Speeds never approached 4G out here.) And sometimes, I still had to move the laptop closer to a window, or sit on the front porch and hold my tongue just right, depending on "sun spots", (or whatever causes an area to have good reception on moment, and none the next). And there was the data limit (5GB), and expense. Now, I never hit my data caps, until winter before last, when I was stuck home due to the weather. The extra fees....OUCH!!!

A couple of line of sight companies are now in the area, and have service that covers my location. I have been on one of those for a year now. Faster than the 4G card, even with the slowest plan, NO data limit, and $10/mo. cheaper!! It is definitely more reliable than satellite. During the storms, snow, ice, etc., I never lost service. With satellite TV, I'd lose service with heavy cloud cover, so am sure I'd lose internet with them.

No cable or DSL will ever be out here. Those will be such old tech by the time they could get them here, that they will tell you, it isn't going to happen.

I'd never give up rural living for the convenience of internet. In fact, figured if cable or DSL made it this far out, I'd sell out and move. But I do like having the service that I have now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Up here our options are:

Satellite - absolute garbage as said above. Expensive and slow. Only option if you're really in the boonies.

Rural wireless High Speed/Broadband - we have this. It's really our only choice right now. We have a wired-cage dish on our roof that is pointed at a tower. I don't fully understand it, but I seems like a really powerful router that'll cover a 10 mile or so radius. It's slow, and somewhat reliable, but I'd kill for a cable line to show up. We run about 1Mbps download, 0.2Mbps upload most days.

Soon there'll be what SaskTel calls "Fusion" - from what I can tell it's a 4G/LTE modem, but that picks up a more focused signal from the tower than does 4G phones. It's supposed to have 10+Mbps rates - which I'd be more than happy with. We'll be getting this soon.

-J.
I have Fusion as we are on one of the 12 towers in the province that had the WBBI (what you currently have) removed as part of Sasktels deal with the Feds to release that frequency spectrum. Fusion is TDD LTE internet and give 5mb down and 1mb up with a 50gb limit then they throttle it to 2mb down and 256k up. The system is capable of abt 100mb down at some point and Sasktel will be eventually using the modem to provide phone service as the rural copper is getting way to old and unreliable. The system works very well and the antenna on our roof is less than 1/4 the size of the old one and is totally self contained. The nice thing was they came and removed all the old stuff and installed the new for free and gave us the new hardware free as well. Only downside is it costs 20 bux a month more than the old system.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
That's good to know, thanks.

I'm really looking forward to getting away from YourLink.

-J.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Nope. I2K

FreedomNet wont even try out here. Population/customer density is too low.
I2K is a fluke because of one outlying customer had a weak signal, so it's just us two on that radio tower.:lol:
It's slow, so no streaming of anything, but better than 80 bucks a month with Verizon and no streaming.
Sounds similar though.

Best thing about the line of sight radio broadband guys is the unlimited data per month. Every other service that relies on satellites or 3G/4G has really low provisions for data when you start to consider what kind of data its possible to use without much effort stream a movie, some internet radio, send a few emails and make a few posts on GTT and your over most caps.

That is huge IMHO, and well worth their relative speeds and usually lower cost than satellite or hotspots

1 - 20 of 31 Posts