Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
I know. It does have a substantial tongue stand, so you can unhook it and set it on the tongue stand, load it and then back under the hitch with a three point receiver ball. I actually did this already, worked pretty good, although you wouldn't want to load it when it isn't level or you would have to block the wheels pretty well.
That said, I plan to use it this way so we'll see.
For some reason I never thought of loading a trailer like that while unhooked. With your procedure of chocking the tires and with a good tongue jack I see it can work.

I like this better than the wagon type mainly for negotiating tight spots backing up to dump. Also the way the tailgate can operate like one on a dump truck or easily removed.

Might have to take a trip to Clearfield soon.....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It actually can be connected to the tractor hydraulics. It comes with a hydraulic hose with quick connects. Basically, the dump cylinder is a single acting cylinder. The hand pump is connected to the cylinder with a quick connect in the line. You simply disconnect this quick connect and connect the extension hose to the quick connect and then connect the other end to your tractor. Pretty sweet.
But you have to have a rear SCV, right...? Does that mean Power Beyond? Other solutions? I suppose I could use an extension hose and hook up to the front hydraulics but that seems pretty awkward. Any way to hook the trailer's dump pump up to the hydraulics of the 3-point hitch?

I have a big dirt project, about 30 yards. It's only about 100 feet from where they'll dump the dirt, but I'd like to avoid having to move that dirt with my bucket 6 cubic feet at a time. This King Kutter/Rural King trailer would move about a cubic yard compared to the bucket, which would move about 0.22 cubic yards. IOW, a 1500 lb capacity trailer would at least cut the number of yard excursions from about 130 trips with the bucket alone to 25-30 trips with the trailer.

In the absence of hydraulics to be able to dump remotely from the tractor and spread the dirt out as it dumps, it looks to me like a 1500 lb Polar or Gorilla dump cart might be more cost effective. That is...unless I can rent one somewhere which would be even better since this big a project is pretty much a one-time thing.. Checking on that.....

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Ray, could you take a couple of pictures of the underside of the trailer and post them?

Specifically, I would like to see what they are using for axles, hubs, etc and how the axles are mounted to the frame. Thank you. With the axles fixed, and the trailer loaded, there could be a lot of "side load" on the wheel hubs when turning the trailer tightly. I would like to see how the axles are mounted to the frame and the design of the axles, etc. Thank you for posting this information, Ray, I appreciate it.

The trailer looks like a very nice unit. Being a King Kutter, I would think farm stores OTHER than Rural King are likely to start offering them, at least those who carry King Kutter items and products. In fact, Rural King has another brand of trailer on their website which looks identical to the King Kutter model.

I noticed Rural King is advertising their "In Store Cash Price" on many items, but didn't see it specifically mentioned on this trailers price. It appears the cash price discount on many items over $2,000 is 10%, but again they didn't specifically show this discount on this trailer.

They are showing it on the website at $2,399. They are also showing their "Rural King" Card offering 5% cash back on all card purchases and also, 0% financing for 6 months on all purchases over the minimum (I think it was $299....) of course, it's 18% for balances beyond the 6 months, retroactive to purchase date. Their Rural King card offers 1.5% cash back on all other purchases with the card.

I am not a personal fan of credit, but 5% cash back and allowing someone to pay the purchase price over 6 months at 0% interest might help some of those interested in the trailer, fit the purchase into their budget............Something to think about for those considering the trailer. Our local Rural King shows 2 of these trailers in stock, one in orange and one in Yellow.

Look at the other brand on their website, and the price, it looks like the same trailer, supposedly a different manufacturer and higher price.
Screenshot_2020-05-14 King Kutter 1 5 Ton XB Dump Trailer 1 5T DT XB OK.png
Screenshot_2020-05-14 Taylor Pittsburgh Field General 1 5 Ton Dump Trailer 4000 1 5T MP.png

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
But you have to have a rear SCV, right...? Does that mean Power Beyond? Other solutions? I suppose I could use an extension hose and hook up to the front hydraulics but that seems pretty awkward. Any way to hook the trailer's dump pump up to the hydraulics of the 3-point hitch?

I have a big dirt project, about 30 yards. It's only about 100 feet from where they'll dump the dirt, but I'd like to avoid having to move that dirt with my bucket 6 cubic feet at a time. This King Kutter/Rural King trailer would move about a cubic yard compared to the bucket, which would move about 0.22 cubic yards. IOW, a 1500 lb capacity trailer would at least cut the number of yard excursions from about 130 trips with the bucket alone to 25-30 trips with the trailer.

In the absence of hydraulics to be able to dump remotely from the tractor and spread the dirt out as it dumps, it looks to me like a 1500 lb Polar or Gorilla dump cart might be more cost effective. That is...unless I can rent one somewhere which would be even better since this big a project is pretty much a one-time thing.. Checking on that.....
Yes, I installed a read SCV on my 1025R several years ago, so I have that handled. All I have to do is plug in the quick connect. You could plug in where the FEL plugs in but then that sort of defeats the purpose since you will not be able to use the FEL unless you swap hoses all the time which would be a PITA.

When you say hook up to the 3 point hydraulics, not easily. Actually the 3 point hydraulics is the same hydraulic circuit that the FEL and BH works from, it is just the last thing in a series of things.

So, when you install a rear SCV, the rear SCV is installed between the front SCV PB port and the pressure line for the power beyond for the BH, if you have a BH, or if you do not have a BH, then the front SCV power beyond port line goes directly to the 3 point lift valve so the rear SCV would be installed in this line.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ray, could you take a couple of pictures of the underside of the trailer and post them?

Specifically, I would like to see what they are using for axles, hubs, etc and how the axles are mounted to the frame. Thank you. With the axles fixed, and the trailer loaded, there could be a lot of "side load" on the wheel hubs when turning the trailer tightly. I would like to see how the axles are mounted to the frame and the design of the axles, etc. Thank you for posting this information, Ray, I appreciate it.

The trailer looks like a very nice unit. Being a King Kutter, I would think farm stores OTHER than Rural King are likely to start offering them, at least those who carry King Kutter items and products. In fact, Rural King has another brand of trailer on their website which looks identical to the King Kutter model.

I noticed Rural King is advertising their "In Store Cash Price" on many items, but didn't see it specifically mentioned on this trailers price. It appears the cash price discount on many items over $2,000 is 10%, but again they didn't specifically show this discount on this trailer.

They are showing it on the website at $2,399. They are also showing their "Rural King" Card offering 5% cash back on all card purchases and also, 0% financing for 6 months on all purchases over the minimum (I think it was $299....) of course, it's 18% for balances beyond the 6 months, retroactive to purchase date. Their Rural King card offers 1.5% cash back on all other purchases with the card.

I am not a personal fan of credit, but 5% cash back and allowing someone to pay the purchase price over 6 months at 0% interest might help some of those interested in the trailer, fit the purchase into their budget............Something to think about for those considering the trailer. Our local Rural King shows 2 of these trailers in stock, one in orange and one in Yellow.

Look at the other brand on their website, and the price, it looks like the same trailer, supposedly a different manufacturer and higher price. View attachment 738782 View attachment 738783
I will get more pictures tomorrow (Friday) or Saturday. I believe all of the trailers listed are the same trailer, just different colors, but I'm not sure about that.

I do not know if this trailer that is built by King Kutter is built specifically for Rural King or not. They have Rural King decals all over it but they clearly say, it is built by King Kutter for Rural King. Maybe Rural King has a deal with King Kutter. don't know.

With the dual wheels, you are correct, when turning, they scrub like any dual wheel set up. The walking beam set up is a nice design. I will get pictures and post them.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
For some reason I never thought of loading a trailer like that while unhooked. With your procedure of chocking the tires and with a good tongue jack I see it can work.

I like this better than the wagon type mainly for negotiating tight spots backing up to dump. Also the way the tailgate can operate like one on a dump truck or easily removed.

Might have to take a trip to Clearfield soon.....
They have two more, at least on Sunday they did. I did notice on one of those in stock, the one top tailgate pin wasn't engaging in the hole properly. I didn't take allot of time to look at it but I chose to take one that didn't have that issue. It probably just needs some lube.

They have them setting outside so everything is sort of dry. I lubed mine good when I got it home. Everything works great now.

The only thing I'm not sure about yet is, I hook mine to the 3 point receiver which does not have down force. So, I have chains made up to hold my 3 point from lifting but I really haven't put my set up to the test. I think I may have to take a look at restraining the lift on the 3 point a little better than I have it but I still want to be able to lower the 3 point and raise it high enough to disconnect and connect the trailer. I'll figure this out, may just take some thought.

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
I think I may have to take a look at restraining the lift on the 3 point a little better than I have it but I still want to be able to lower the 3 point and raise it high enough to disconnect and connect the trailer.
While that’s convenient I think with a heavy load I would like it to be attached to the drawbar myself. I’d have to look close but maybe I could reach the tongue jack handle from the seat....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I only have about 30 yards of dirt to move, then a big dump trailer just becomes one more item of rolling stock I have to park somewhere. As it turns out, I can rent a 1 yard dump trailer for $35 a day or a 4 yard dump trailer for $70 a day. That would make this project cost even less than buying a one yard Polar or Gorilla.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Now if you could only figure out a way to load on to it with the loader or baxk hoe without unhooking!
That's where the excuse for the second tractor comes in.😇

·
Registered
5,427 Posts

If it's a one time project, I'd rent a dump trailer and pull it with a pickup. I think Home Depot might rent them from some locations, maybe others as well.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If it's a one time project, I'd rent a dump trailer and pull it with a pickup. I think Home Depot might rent them from some locations, maybe others as well.

Treefarmer
I need the mobility I can get with the tractor, and a smaller trailer. I can't maneuver and dump a trailer with a pickup truck back there, and I'm confident that that tractor can't manage 10 tons of dirt and 2 tons of trailer at a time. I'm thinking that renting a 1 yard trailer is the way to go.

OTOH, 6 trips with a rental 4 yard trailer I can do in a day...= $70. 30 trips with a 1 yard trailer will take me 4 or 5 days or more, = $175.

So.....the choice is clear....

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Look at the other brand on their website, and the price, it looks like the same trailer, supposedly a different manufacturer and higher price.
Here are some pictures of the walking beams, axles and wheel hubs. The trailer frame is built very well. The wheels are mounted to independent axles with gussets to provide strength from side loading due to turns. The wheels are hub mounted with four lugs and tapered roller bearing support, just like a larger trailer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
While that’s convenient I think with a heavy load I would like it to be attached to the drawbar myself. I’d have to look close but maybe I could reach the tongue jack handle from the seat....
I actually ran a test yesterday. I unhook my 3 point restraint chains that I had hooked up to prevent the three point from lifting, which I'm not sure they would work that well anyway.

I unhook the trailer by swinging down the tongue jack and lowered the 3 point to disconnect. I am using the ball connector currently since I have a Heavy Hitch weight bracket with a receiver. The trailer does come with a connector for a drawbar also.

Then I loaded the trailer fairly full of dirt and rock with my FEL. Then reconnected with the trailer with the 3 point and dumped it, carefully. What I wanted to see is, when the dirt dumped, whether or not the trailer would lift the three point.

When dumping, the three point didn't even think of lifting.

They have the trailer designed pretty well concerning the axle mounting position and how it dumps. During dumping, the trailer maintains tongue weight.

Now, if you were trying to dump top soil that you let set in the trailer for a day or two, then maybe due to the dirt not wanting to slide out of the trailer, it would be possible to transfer weight back off the 3 point which would lift the 3 point, but in my test, it worked perfectly.
20200516_181556534_iOS.jpg
20200516_181743203_iOS.jpg
20200516_181859095_iOS.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Here are some more pictures of the hydraulic connections. I have mine connected to my rear SCV.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
They have the trailer designed pretty well concerning the axle mounting position and how it dumps. During dumping, the trailer maintains tongue weight.
You also have a little bit of weight between the iMatch and the Heavy Hitch that helps. If you needed, you could add a few weights to the HH.

BTW, nice trailer. Looked at one at the Farm Show at the KK booth. They looked pretty stout.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You also have a little bit of weight between the iMatch and the Heavy Hitch that helps. If you needed, you could add a few weights to the HH.

BTW, nice trailer. Looked at one at the Farm Show at the KK booth. They looked pretty stout.
Yes, I love the iMatch and the Heavy Hitch weight bar with hitch receiver. I keep these on my tractor all the time.
I also have a JD ballast box. Since I got the Heavy Hitch, I never use the ballast box anymore. I have 12 - 40 lb. suitcase weights that I use on the weight bar. I use the number of weights based on what I am doing.
The iMatch weighs about 50 lbs., the Heavy Hitch weighs about 50 lb. and I have my rear tires filled. If I put all 12 weights on the Heavy Hitch, the tractor is super stable when doing heavy FEL work.

That said, when using the 3 point to pull the trailer and also using the FEL to load the trailer, there is somewhat of a compromise as to how much weight you can put on the weight bar and still be able to lift the trailer when it is full of dirt.

I'm not sure how much tongue weight the trailer will have when full of dirt or stone.

Maybe that will the next test I run. I will fill it with dirt and weigh the tongue weight. Of course tongue weight is relative to how it is loaded.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The website only gives bed dimensions.

Could you please measure the overall length from the back to the end of the ball mount.

And also the width outside of the tires.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
That said, when using the 3 point to pull the trailer and also using the FEL to load the trailer, there is somewhat of a compromise as to how much weight you can put on the weight bar and still be able to lift the trailer when it is full of dirt.
Or the inverse of that conundrum being how much ballast you need to use the FEL to load the trailer......

I am pretty sure you will be able to find a happy medium.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts